Ivan Marks, The Peoples Champion - new book

monster munch

Reaction score
Hello Lads.... and Ladies,:p:p
I'm brand new to the forum, so I thought I'd jump straight in feet first.

I've just finished the new Ivan Marks book (Peoples Champion) and I have to say I couldnt put it down. Apart from reliving some remarkable memories that I had of the great man, the book is well designed and a fitting tribute. Defo my favourite fishing book of all time and I heartilly recommend it to my new friends :):)

I just wondered if anyone else has read/bought it yet?
What was your best Ivan Marks memory

All the best

redfin123

Reaction score
Hello Lads.... and Ladies,:p:p
I'm brand new to the forum, so I thought I'd jump straight in feet first.

I've just finished the new Ivan Marks book (Peoples Champion) and I have to say I couldnt put it down. Apart from reliving some remarkable memories that I had of the great man, the book is well designed and a fitting tribute. Defo my favourite fishing book of all time and I heartilly recommend it to my new friends :):)

I just wondered if anyone else has read/bought it yet?
What was your best Ivan Marks memory

All the best

I expected this thread to get more replies than it has, but I suppose many of todays angling fraternity wont even know his name let alone remember him. He was one of the great match anglers of his era, he won big matches on the trent and many more rivers. He fished for a liecester team named "the likely lads" who dominated the trent for a number of years, but that was when fishing was fishing at its best. Not like today,s carp puddles. It was a sad loss to angling and to those who knew him, he was at the top of match fishing but sadly died before his time. redfin.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The book has been very well-received. I am still dipping into it. I think Ivan would laugh at the concept of 12 peg opens!

Interesting about the comments re Leicester dominating the Trent; I'd have said that they dominated the Fenland waters, like the Nene, Welland and Relief Channel, to a much greater extent. The Witham was more a south Yorks/Lincoln/Boston stronghold. They did compete on the Trent, and win there and on many other waters elsewhere such as the Severn, Thames etc. When it came to Trent domination I'd have said it was Nottingham anglers challenged variously by Barnsley, Goole, Rotherham and Newark anglers etc. not forgetting the earlier Lancs invasion of the caster men like the Ashursts etc.

redfin123

Reaction score
The book has been very well-received. I am still dipping into it. I think Ivan would laugh at the concept of 12 peg opens!

Interesting about the comments re Leicester dominating the Trent; I'd have said that they dominated the Fenland waters, like the Nene, Welland and Relief Channel, to a much greater extent. The Witham was more a south Yorks/Lincoln/Boston stronghold. They did compete on the Trent, and win there and on many other waters elsewhere such as the Severn, Thames etc. When it came to Trent domination I'd have said it was Nottingham anglers challenged variously by Barnsley, Goole, Rotherham and Newark anglers etc. not forgetting the earlier Lancs invasion of the caster men like the Ashursts etc.

yes you,re absolutely right mark, it was just a show of respect that i think Ivan deserved.

flightliner

Reaction score
Redfin, I had the pleasure of sitting by Ivan in two matches, one on the middle level in the mid sixties when I fished out of the Sheffield amalgamated side in the eastern counties winter league, and once on the Forty foot drain near Boston, neither of us won on either occasion and on a side by side the result was a draw. Some years later we both turned up on the Welland on the six hundred pegs-- he was in the company of Jaques Tesse who at the time was one of Frances best match anglers. Also in attendance were two reporters who were to veiw and report on the days fishing. I was with four of south yorkshires well known swingtip anglers and we were all using sausage rusk for bait . If you want the rest of that days results you,ll have to pm me!