linear fisheries

Sid Little

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if any one fishes linear fisheries for anything other than carp? it used to be a great mixed fishery especially smiths pool

agamemnon

Reaction score
i have had some great mutliple catch pike sessions on most of linears waters

maceo

Reaction score
I had one session down there after silvers but blanked almost completely.

Probably got a lot to do with my ham-fisted tangling splashy incompetence as much as the water though.

agamemnon

Reaction score
deadbaiting with sardine has given me the best sessions at linear

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Smiths/hardwick is a fantastic tench fishery sid but I didn't notice/experience too much activity from species other than tench/carp when I was fishing the place.
In several sessions the only 'nuisance' species I caught were one roach/rudd Hybrid and a couple of smallish bream (plus the inevitable carp) which is surprising since I was using casters.

I was actually going to join a club which has a couple of venues down the road from linear (newlands ac) but didn't bother because there were silver fish everywhere and I didn't fancy wasting my casters on them. I was told that the club had stocked these fish. Though I don't know the truth about this, if this rumour is accurate then its a criminal waste of a very good tench water! It might suit your requirements though sid.

dezza

Reaction score
I fished at Linear a great deal from 1995 to 1997. I took out a season ticket on Smiths and caught chub to 6lbs 3oz, tench to 7lbs roach to 2lbs 4oz, rudd to 2lbs 12oz and bream to 81/2 lbs. It was a great mixed fishery and I fished there a lot with Peter Stone and Barry Horwood.

I also fished at Manor lake for the huge tench and had them to 83/4 lbs. I once saw a tench that looked every bit of 15 lbs. It was massive.

And then the carp anglers had weedkiller put it that stuffed the tench fishing.

Sid Little

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for all the replies,

Ron, I remember you being down there around that time and a couple of others including Peter Stone. I watched him one day catch about 80 lb of chub to 6lb roach and rudd to 2.5lb from there. I had chub to 5lb12oz and roach and rudd over 2lb to fairly basic tactics. It was great. I was Tench fishing next to Peter Stone on manor one day and we saw a large tench cruise by and he said "thats a double and I know what a double looks like". Brilliant

Newlands was worth a go a few years ago I saw bream to 12lb8oz and tench over 10 come out of there.