Second hand poles -

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What ho Chaps

Don't pole fish very often but I'm thinking of upgradiing from an 11m pole to a 13m, 14.5M or even a 16M if I can find a decent pole for the right price.

As I said I only pole fish about a dozen times a year, prefering to use rod and line, so I'm thinking of looking for a second hand pole to keep costs down, but what should I look for when buying a second hand pole- I don't want to buy one that breaks after a couple of times.

Tally Ho

T

Terry D

It depends on what you're using it for i.e. general fishing, canal fishing or commercial carp waters. Try and get a feel for how strong the sections are. Squeeze them 'gently' between thumb and forefinger, do the walls have lots of give. Check the tops are not excessively worn or chipped. Check the bottom of each section for chips and small splits. Check each section fits into the next section with plenty of 'material' around the joint, as sometimes bits are cut off the bottom or filed down to get rid of small chips and splits. Do the top kits come ready elasticated - more expense. Can you actually get spare sections for the pole should you have a breakage. Can universal top kits be used. Hope these pointers help.
For peace of mind, most match anglers abuse their poles unless they want to upgrade a newish pole shortly after buying it. Best to buy a second hand one that is quite modern, or buy a new pole but lower spec than originally intended.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend? Do you want a pole that could handle carp? You might be surprised what you could get new for not too much money, or maybe look at investing in some power top 2/3's for your existing pole...?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thanks Chaps

Since the pole will only be on the bank a few times a year I was looking at ?200. As for use mostly be fishing mixed commercials with carp aroung the 10lb mark and plenty of little silver fish.

Tally Ho

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I'd suggest seeing if you can get some decent power top kits for your existing pole, i'm sure for that kind of money you'd be able to pick up some good ones, if it's not going to see the light of day too often this may even save you some money.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
True Macca old bean but I'm really wanting some extra lenght cue joke about length doesn't matter.Not knowing much about poles would these power top kits take the 11M to 13M? I don't think this is the case but I'm not a pole angler so you may tell me that they do.

Tally Ho

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
ha ha I wouldn't dream as to stooping to the level of "length" related quips. You might be best having a chat to your local tackle shop to see what you could get for your existing pole and if it would add any length they may also be able to suggest some good used or new one's.

Lark

Reaction score
Check out the Middy Carp Bagging Machine.
13 metre pole - MRP ?299 - you can get it with 2 take apart top 2 carp kits plus a shed load of other bits including cupping in kit and cups, bungs, elastics, bushes all for ?175 new! Has to be worth a look.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Lord Paul, some general guidelines which I hope will prove helpful.

As Terry said, dont buy a second hand pole without seeing it.Check all the joints for wear and and tiny run cracks.

When youv've established the make/type ring the manufacturer and ask if they still stock spare sections.

There would be nowt worse old chap than to buy the darned thing, break a section, and then discover the maker no longer produces spares.

If its a 'match pole' check how it feels with a power top two fitted. They are usually heavier and drastically affect the balance of the whole pole.

Always buy the longest pole you can afford -though I would steer clear of 16m unless you have a strong back and equally deep pockets. A 14.5 m pole will feel good at 13m, excellent at 11.5m and featherlight at 8-9m, whereas an 11m pole will usually break you back at full length.

Try and chose a pole with a good choice of top two/three's.

Overall, try and balance the cost of a second hand quality pole against a new budget one. Dont pay more for a second hand one than you would for a new pole.

Best of luck and Tally Ho.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thanks All for the much needed advice

Lark -sounds good I'll have a look at that.

Peter thanks if I buy second hand I'll be hoping to meet the seller at a lake and have a fish with it to try before I buy but checking out the spare availablity is good advice.

Tally Ho

Reaction score
Good day my Lord,

Firstly, though it's name suggests putting up against the wall and pulling triggers, have a look at the Fishing Republic website.

They do a Sensas Willebroek pole (I believe it is produced for the Sprouts - Belgians not the peasants of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire). It is retailed at ?299.00 instead of the SSP of ?699. It is a 16m package with spares and a very good pole holdall. It is more of a general pole than a bagging machine. FR rate it as a better deal than the MAP equivalent (they stock both). How do I know so much? Cos I bought one....and promptly won a competition for a 16m Browning Pole worth a lot more!!!

Secondly. Why stoop to a second hand pole? I believe that new circumstances within a European Organisation has resulted in a the easy availability of fresh Rumanians and Bulgars.

Chin Chin old bean

PoshPaul