Angling times

John Wesley

Reaction score
As a Yorkshire and northern angler i think paying ?1.50 for the angling times is a complete waste of money, i know there is some good northern mags but is,nt angling times suposed to be a national publication. Just take a look at this weeks issue, Wilson, hearn, brown, bowler, taylor, nudd, ringer, arthur and MACEY?. How many of them has fished north of nottingham this year, is it me or does anyone else think this rag is biased.

keora

Reaction score
I don't think the AT is at all biased. All it does is reflect the fact that specimen fish tend to be larger in warmer Southern waters.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The point John is making is that it has no northern angling writers, which has nothing to do with southern waters producing the biggest fish.

T

Terry D

Bottom line, does it give value for money. Not in my books it doesn't.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You could have one or two Big name Southern Anglers fishing the Northern waters. I don't think it would make any difference to the catch rate.

But it would be interesting to see one of the Big names come and stick it out up here for six months. Not that I would want them to.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
In the space of four posts this thread has gone from the value of the Angling Times for northereners to the predicatable who catches the most, won't be long before its who are the best anglers etc.

As Graham has intimated the reason that there isn't much reporting done on the northern waters is down to no writers from the north contributing to the AT. Is this a policy thing? I think not, its just a statement of fact, and yes there probably always was a lack of northern coverage and though I don't buy AT very often these days I suspect its still the same.

M

MarkTheSpark

I was talking to a mate the other day about motorcycle magazines, and he said he's just not prepared to pay a fiver for a magazine; I agree, cover prices are completely out of hand now.

When you get get a good novel for a fiver (they are 'remaindered' within months) I don't see how 100 pages can be worth a fiver, much less 60 pages (if you're lucky) of muddy newsprint charged at ?1.20.

Pick up National Geographic - top-quality paper, perfect bound, fabulous print quality (gravure, no less) and just a gnat's over ?2 a shot. Where are publishers getting off with 75gsm bog paper, badly printed, at ?4.99?

The problem is that they are fishing in a diminishing pool of advertising budgets as manufacturers and retailers find cuter routes to market their product, and getting readers to make up the deficit. Sadly, they aren't providing value for money any more.

B

Badger 184

I was wondering if AT will suffer a sales downfall due to the new website,seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The problem is that we're awash with national angling newspapers and magazines, four regional angling publications, and a number of angling websites, all, as Mark says, fishing in a diminishing pool.

But back to the original post: perhaps there is a deficit of northern angling writers (in all angling publications apart from FM and the northern regionals:)-)) because the mainstream journals want big names and it's a fact that it's harder for a northern angler to make a name for himself without continually travelling south.

There are few northerners who have managed to do that.

It's a strange situation, for northern anglers would much rather read about catching quality fish from their own region than they would about bigger fish from further afield. At least one, if not two, northern angling writers (not the travellers, but those who fish northern waters) would go down well I reckon in the weeklies.

But that's the problem, for I get the distinct impression that the northerners who write about angling try to compete with the southerners by fishing southern waters. If they stuck to their own patch for the majority of the time then maybe the mainstream journals would use them more. As it is they can get any number of southern 'names' to write about catching southern fish.

But I've noticed that I'm contradicting myself to some extent in that on one hand I'm saying it's hard for a northerner to make a name for himself without travelling south, but that he would be better fishing his own patch. So I guess it's down to editors to realise that they could do with at least one northern writer who mainly fishes northern waters.

B

Bully

....lets face it Graham, they cant write and if they could we wouldn't understand the accent :eek:)

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I know what you mean Bully......er, do you mean 'Let us face it', or 'let's face it'? :0)

T

The Monk

I do think the Angling Times is bias towards people that catch fish, I`ve yet to see someone on the front page with a guitar in his hands

J

John McLaren

Once saw an AT picture of a guy with a Guitar Fish! But it wasn't from a northern water :0)

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Fender Carpacaster
Gibson Les Pike
Roachenbacker 360/12 in FireTigerGlo

But you don't get em oop north!

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I was talking to Martin Ford on friday night, he now lives near Sheffield, i asked him where he was fishing local and i was surprised what he told me, he is fishing lakes what i have fished in the past, and he has got his eye on another well known lake thats local, and so far his biggest that he has had is 29ib. He could prehaps do a few articles fot AT.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Peterborough is slightly north of the Watford Gap and Angling Times is therefore a Northern paper.

flumpy

Reaction score
get ut now and then but prefare northern angler or sometimes angling star does anybody get anglers mail yuor thiughts

M

MarkTheSpark

Years ago, when I were nobbut cub reporter, we editionalised AT, at least for the peak of the season.

That meant four pages of Northern news, Eastern, etc. Editionalisation went out of the window with the onset of more 'efficient' distribution - ie, distributors couldn't be bothered if they didn't get a zillion quid for doing it.

Subscription copies could easily be editionalised, though, and I suspect that AT and its subs readers would get the benefit. Still, who am I to reason why...

L

Laurie Harper

Good point, Monk. AT doesn't tend to print pictures of empty keep nets or peoples' stamp collections. On the more general point, if people don't like AT (which I don't), they shouldn't buy it (which I don't). On the subject of guitar fish, I have a rather nice Martin D28 herringbone (groan).