Change in temperature

• Thread starter Richard Trenberth
  • Start date
R

Richard Trenberth

Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle :)

I'm going Carp fishing tomorrow too Tockenham resevoir in Wiltshire and I'm after some advice for catching carp, what with the change in weather(finally!!). Will the Carp be in the deepest part of the lake (around 16ft) or where they are normally caught during the summer (around 8-10ft).

Also, what bait would people recommend, I have with me peperammi, meat, boiles, pellets, lobworms, and corn.

I tend not to go carp fishing much (as you may be able to tell) so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Richard, I can't give you much info because I don't know the water, but there won't be any difference in water temperature between the 8 - 10ft and the 16ft so I would go with the usually productive 8 - 10ft.

Best thing to do is see if anyone else is fishing on there for carp, or have a word in the local tackle shop and get some local info about location at this time of year and the going baits.

Hopefully, somebody who knows the water will spot your posting and offer some better help than I can give.

R

Richard Trenberth

Thanks Graham, my knowledge of Carp feeding habits are a bit limited, I wondered whether the Carp would have moved into the deeper water for the cold spell or if they were happy to stay put.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

C

Carp Angler

As Graham said, there isn't any difference between 16 and 8 feet.
It's not until you go below 32 feet that thermoclines start to kick in.
Even though the air temp is warmer, the water will still be as cold as it was last week.
Look for obvious winter holding spots and don't forget next to reeds in very shallow margins.

S

Steve Parsons

Look to fish in swims which are obviously popular.I know the ground has been fozen solid for ages but anywhere that looks muddy may indicate a good swim.This may just give you something to start on ,you'd still have to find the fish in the swim.
Cast around 1 of your rods,regularly move it to dirrerent areas of the swim,hopefully you may land next to a hungry carp.It is possible to catch in the most unlikely weather conditions,best of luck!

J

John Pleasance

I wouldn't like to be without some bread in the bait box Richard.

R

Richard Trenberth

Well after all the advice I set off with some hope early this morning, I shouldn't of bloody bothered, the lake was frozen over!!!!

Oh well there's always next time, although it will probably be pouring with rain and a blowing a gale then.