fishing and drinking

flumpy

Reaction score
walking around a fishry the other day one bloke was arguing with another bloke simply because 1 angler had a can of beer in his hand in which the other angler must disagree with it. me personaly dont mind seeing anybody having a can whilst there fish along as there dont get drunk and spoiling it for other people fishing as you know drunk on a bank can leed up to disaster results me myself dont drink whilst fishing as i always go in my own car and as a bus driver cannot afford to lose my leicence just wonder what your veiws was on the subject

L

Les Clark

If i am going to a F.M. fish in which is a two or three day event ,then i will take a few beer`s with me , just to be sociable :):):).
But normally i would leave the beer at home , but that is just me , i have no problem with anglers haveing a beer or two as long as they don`t get loud or pissed .

F

Fred Bonney

I have never found the need to take canned beer with me.
Now, if there was a proper real ale on the bank,that would be a different story....perhaps

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Go around most lakes and look at the empty beer cans thrown about.
Pull any angler for drinking alcohol, and the answer is allways the same. I take mine home with me mate.

Yeah right! Ban all alcohol on the bank. Or ban the angler.

L

Les Clark

What a load of cobblers Baz , the angler who leaves his cans on the bank is the same angler who leaves the rest of his rubbish as well , the anglers who take their rubbish away will take cans away ,stands to reason .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Seeing that everybody take stheir rubbish and cans away with them, it must be the Gremlins at it again then.
I still say ban all cans and bottles. And that means milk bottles. Buy a purpose baught container.

L

Les Clark

How many milk bottles do you find these days then Baz ,considering most milk is brought in plastic containers from supermarkets ?

T

trev matthews

this has gone from alcohol on the bank to a dispute about litter in less than one page. Strong stuff that alcohol, if it evokes dialogue like this so quickly. Perhaps thats the reason why alcohol and being by the waterside shouldnt be allowed.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Plastic containers, plastic bottles. They are all the same Les.

T

The Monk

I often drink on the bank, its all about moderation, this isnt a litter issue, those who leave litter will leave anything regardless. I used to spend literally months on the banks bivvied up and like to drink, it I`m out for say a month I will take about 50 or so cans with me and all will be placed in bags along with all the other rubbish and taken to a safe place for deposition. I don`t drink to access, just a few cans a night, its all about moderation.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Baz said, 'And that means milk bottles. Buy a purpose baught container.'

When you buy milk from a food outlet it comes in a purpose bought container, they wouldn't be able to sell it otherwise.

The lakes I fish have no rules and just ask anglers to behave sensibly. They do, no arguments, no rowdy behaviour and NO litter. It is a season ticket water and all the anglers care for the fish, few use keep nets and any carp sacked are only sacked for the shortest time necessary. Any weeded fish and a boat with the occupant/s wearing buoyancy are used to free the fish

How come your waters are so bad Baz, because that is the impression you give.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I'll ask a question to which I don't know the answer. How come a non bailiff-ed water can have so few if any problems and Baz gives the impression that bailiff-ed lakes do?

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Not sure I see the need to drink alcohol when fishing, each to their own I guess I just hope those who do drink whilst fishing don't then get behind the wheel of their car on the way home. If you're considerate and take your empties home, don't become a nuisance after a few beers then fair enough otherwise just leave the drink at home

David Craine

Reaction score
I wonder how many of us can remember the 1960"s, I used to fish quite a few different waters, (only Local, cos I was a kid then), I don"t seem to remember anybody drinking on the bank, or indeed, ever finding empty bottles etc, whilst I dont have a problem with somebody having the odd tipple, and taking their rubbish home with them, I do think that drinking on the bank seems to have started when the Bivvies first appeared, and anglers started to fish long sessions.(Not pointing any fingers, just an observation ).I think it is mostly those venues that suffer from the litter problem
I myself only take a hip flask, on cold days.

E

Evan

True-ish David... but in the 1960's / early 70's litre / litre and a half plastic bottles and their kind essentially didn't exist. Plus the glass ones came with 3d back on the bottle.... and that 3d meant a half pint of maggots or a packet of hooks to a kid like me at the time.

Though I am not sure we should be beating ourselves up too much as anglers, as opposed to part of the human race in general.

I say this because I was recently walking the bank of a completely unfished (because of access difficulties) part of the river Wey just outside of Guildford and the amount of riverside rubbish bottles and assorted crap was just staggering.

In complete contrast to the relatively well fished bits of the same river where easy access is possible and rubbish / litter levels are low.

So which is it ? dirty anglers chucking tinnies about or rather more responsible anglers and club work days and cleaning sessions keeping things tidy and ordered ?

Though I do think David has a point in relation to the proliferation of rubbish, where it is a problem being related to the rise of the unwanted element camping out in bivvies.... If only because of the greater length of time that Slob A is located in one position creating the mess around him. And also because an overnight stay means no need to stay sober enough to drive home....

And though I like a pint as well as the next man beer on the bank + water in immediate proximity has always seemed to me to be a stupid and suicidal combo.

T

The Monk

It really is all down to moderation, the majority of serious bivvy dwellers do not leave litter and the day ticket venues ar plagued far more with litter problems than any carp syndicate I`ve ever fished on. One of the problems of course is we have far more packaging than we had in the 60s and yes we have had a significant rise in bivvy dwellers from the start of the 80s and I`m sure a contribution towards litter has been make by the moronic element, but I dont think it wise to point the finger towards long stay anglers, i was a time bandit for a number of year but you would never find any litter in the areas I fished, indeed many of the swims I have arrived at have already been full of litter and I`ve had to fill a bin bag up before I could set the bivvy up, I wont fish in crap

Trisantona

Reaction score
And here's me thinking Bivvies were invented by Eel anglers in the mid seventies.!!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"It really is all down to moderation . . "

The Monk hits the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

I usually have a small hip flask with me whenever I go fishing and see nothing wrong with a nip or two during the day, particularly to celebrate a decent fish on the bank.

I prefer a flask of good stong coffee to a can of beer, and if I fancy a beer then I'll go to the local pub' for lunch or on the way home.

As to litter, I have noticed a real improvement on most of the stretches of river that I fish regularly, both day ticket, club controlled and syndicate.
The club waters have a ban on cans, of any description, and the litter bins are emptied daily, so that seems to have solved the local problem.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You can not go from one angler to another saying, okay, you can have a drink but the next man can't. I don't see it as moderation at all. No cans or bottles on the bank means just that. And seeing that I have the upper hand in this situation, what I say goes.