Angling Trust write to the BCU to request condemnation of a River Avon Paddle

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems the official thread for people to post their views on this issue has been taken down. Not sure why. It's a highly topical subject, and very relevant. The Angling Trust Forum was taken down some time ago, presumably because they were getting too much criticism from grass roots anglers and couldn't be bothered to moderate it properly.

I'm not sure why Fishing Magic have followed suite in this way, the thread did get 1,052 views. I'm not sure who owns this forum, but I suspect they've just made a mistake.

In the unlikely event that this thread is permitted to remain, exercise your democratic right to post your comments and views here ....

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
This forum is moderated by some very sensible guys who make their decisions based upon the rules in the T&Cs which you can read from the links on the index page. But will you bother reading them?

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

So here's rule No1:

You must not

1. Post or transmit anything unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, libellous, threatening, offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, indecent, of a bickering nature or invasive of a member’s or of the Admin teams privacy. Posts should not be inflammatory or discriminate on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability or race. This includes without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law.
Persistent posting of an irrelevant, disruptive or fragmented nature may result in the expulsion of any member, and the decision as to what may or may not be deemed irrelevant, disruptive or fragmented will be that of the administrators.

maceo

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Fishing Magic have followed suite in this way

Ha ha ha! Followed suite. That would be a three piece suite would it?

Or is it that you think a pack of cards has four suites?

Magical! With your permission, I'll start using that one myself from now on.

Brilliant!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Just keep locking the threads Geoff , not worth bothering with, he's not one thing or another, or so he says:)

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This forum is moderated by some very sensible guys who make their decisions based upon the rules in the T&Cs which you can read from the links on the index page. But will you bother reading them?

Geoff, I've read the rules and conditions and I'm happy to abide by them. It's your moderator that appears to think they don't apply to him. He pulled the plug on one of the livliest debates on the forum, presumably because some of the feedback that was being posted didn't sit too easily with his pre-conceived notions that anglers are good and canoeists are bad.

The reality is that every day gangs of thugs are actively patrolling the river banks of England and Wales shouting abuse at canoeists, and your moderator kicked off the whole debate by endorsing that behaviour. Not the actions of a 'sensible guy'

What's wrong with calling for a little more tolerance in the canoeist - angler debate? From what I can see there's precious little common sense being demonstrated by the Angling Trust on this issue, so it's hardly surprising if they come in for a bit of stick. I suggest it is not in your interests to be seen to be taking sides, which is effectively what you have done.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
What's wrong with calling for a little more tolerance in the canoeist - angler debate? From what I can see there's precious little common sense being demonstrated by the Angling Trust on this issue, so it's hardly surprising if they come in for a bit of stick

For starters what is so wrong in the AT defending the rights (and in most instances rights obtained at a high financial cost) of its members?

Possibly, Mr. Youngs, had the BCU and its supporters adopted the same attitude you suggest then there might just be grounds for some kind of consensus.

Before the EA (and the infamous Prop Ravenscroft and his team) started getting involved we on the Wear had a perfectly good working relationship with the local Uni canoe/kayak club; its Sec, a Chris Lomas I seem to recall, and I regularly used to exchange e-mails on water use/availability.

But when we were presented with what was virtually a loaded gun held at our heads in the form of the EA telling us (the paying riparian occupier) just what THEY had decided, without involving anyone from the angling side, and that we would have to accept it, there is little wonder that what cooperation there was went.

I would dare to suggest, Mr. Youngs, that the real reason you have decided to irritate the members of FM is because you received very little attention on Anglers Net.

Your comment...

Well said Barry. I posted a brief comment on the Salisbury Journal website when they reported the dispute.

The article (minus public comments) was subsequently reproduced in yesterdays Daily Telegraph (pg 15).

This is precisely the sort of behaviour which drags the reputation of all anglers through the mud (again). It makes me ashamed to be associated with angling, and hostile towards the Angling Trust.

...to the single reply on the tread received ZERO responses :rolleyes:

I for one have no intentions to feed your ego further.

As for the R. Wensun that seems so close to your heart, I presume you were at the forefront of the campaign started to prevent the theft of its precious life support some years ago?

As more and more river anglers come to see the benefits of the Angling Trust, I can foresee its membership increasing proportionately :)

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To top all that Andy,you had made so many errors,even down to labeling the entire membership of an angling society with all the names you could think of .
Not once have you apologised for any of these.
The locking of the previous thread was a forgone conclusion, following it's error filled rants.
If you had any legitimate argument at any time, and I don't think you had, you have now lost all credibility.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For starters what is so wrong in the AT defending the rights (and in most instances rights obtained at a high financial cost) of its members?

Possibly, Mr. Youngs, had the BCU and its supporters adopted the same attitude you suggest then there might just be grounds for some kind of consensus.

There's nothing wrong with the Angling Trust defending anglers rights, as long as they do it in a responsible way, preferably without antagonising other user groups.You see John, what's happened in my neighbourhood, is that the River Waveney (upon whose banks I reside) was singled out some years ago as a pilot scheme for a voluntary canoe access agreement. Several years later the agreement was ratified (at least until such time as the next parcel of land changes hands again) but it took the combined influence of the Environment Agency, and the expenditure of £100,000's of public money to achieve it. And this is on a river, where navigation rights have never been challenged or resisted. Meanwhile, anglers in adjacent catchments such as the Wensum became even more militant and entrenched in their opposition to canoe access.

The result is that the Waveney has become firmly established as a honeypot site for canoeing because it's one of the few rivers in the country which you can actually paddle down without risking verbal assault. But if you try going static bait fishing on the Waveney during the summer, especially on weekends during the summer months, and it's virtually impossible due to volume of canoe traffic passing through.

As far as BCU invovement is concerned, they've been placed in an invideous position. They've been told by the Govt, the EA and the Angling Trust that voluntary access agreements are the way forward, but it's a totally impractical solution which they don't have the resources to implement anyway.

I've never been a member of the BCU, and I've got no intention of joining any time soon. I go paddling once a year, usually during the closed fishing season, and usually just to check out new swims etc. However when I do that I do not expect to be verbally assaulted by other anglers.

The proposed paddle down the Hampshire Avon had nothing to do with the BCU either. It was being organised by a few private individuals who are no doubt perfectly well intentioned, law abiding citizens who simply want to enjoy the river and learn more about their natural environment.

Before the EA (and the infamous Prop Ravenscroft and his team) started getting involved we on the Wear had a perfectly good working relationship with the local Uni canoe/kayak club; its Sec, a Chris Lomas I seem to recall, and I regularly used to exchange e-mails on water use/availability.

But when we were presented with what was virtually a loaded gun held at our heads in the form of the EA telling us (the paying riparian occupier) just what THEY had decided, without involving anyone from the angling side, and that we would have to accept it, there is little wonder that what cooperation there was went.

I would dare to suggest, Mr. Youngs, that the real reason you have decided to irritate the members of FM is because you received very little attention on Anglers Net.

On the contrary John, I was very encouraged by the lack of of attention to my post on Anglers Net. Makes me think that at least some anglers have got the message that when they engage in intolerant rhetoric towards other river users, they may well find that it bounces back on them. Over the years I have had many exchanges on Anglers Net, which have been every bit as spirited as this one has proved to be.

I'm sorry to learn of your difficulties in finding an accommodation with canoeists on the Wear. I would dare to suggest that if you erect a polite notice saying "please respect the wishes of the riparian owner by only paddling through this stretch between 11am and 4pm between June 16 and Sept 30. Outside of these dates there are no restrictions" then 99.99% of canoeists would respect it, and conflict would be avoided. However if you erect a sign saying "Private property, keep out, no canoeing", then the liklihood is that it will end in a bun fight. Added to which, if you are actively engaged in introducing a non native fish into an environmentally sensitive habitat then you will probably end up doing your cause more harm than good.

As for the R. Wensun that seems so close to your heart, I presume you were at the forefront of the campaign started to prevent the theft of its precious life support some years ago?

As more and more river anglers come to see the benefits of the Angling Trust, I can foresee its membership increasing proportionately :)

The Wensum is close to my heart. So is the Waveney, and the Bure and the Yare. I dare say if I lived in Hampshire, the Hampshire Avon whould be close to my heart. I just want to see a fairer use of our rivers for everyone, and that includes canoeists.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

To top all that Andy,you had made so many errors,even down to labeling the entire membership of an angling society with all the names you could think of .
Not once have you apologised for any of these.
The locking of the previous thread was a forgone conclusion, following it's error filled rants.
If you had any legitimate argument at any time, and I don't think you had, you have now lost all credibility.

Believe me Fred, we've only just scratched the surface. I retract not one jot of anything I've said, and I've got no intention of apologising to anyone (other than my erroneous assertion that Norwich were due to be playing Fulham yesterday). In fact, I think the Angling Trust and the Barbel Society owe me an apology for what been going on down on the Wensum in recent years.

I think you're criticising me for telling the truth, because you're a member of both the Angling Trust and the Barbel Society, and it's not what you want to hear. Sorry about that, but it's still the truth and banning me from the forum, or locking the thread will not change that.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the Angling Trust defending anglers rights, as long as they do it in a responsible way, preferably without antagonising other user groups.You see John, what's happened in my neighbourhood, is that the River Waveney (upon whose banks I reside) was singled out some years ago as a pilot scheme for a voluntary canoe access agreement. Several years later the agreement was ratified (at least until such time as the next parcel of land changes hands again) but it took the combined influence of the Environment Agency, and the expenditure of £100,000's of public money to achieve it. And this is on a river, where navigation rights have never been challenged or resisted. Meanwhile, anglers in adjacent catchments such as the Wensum became even more militant and entrenched in their opposition to canoe access. The result is that the Waveney has become firmly established as a honeypot site for canoeing because it's one of the few rivers in the country which you can actually paddle down without risking verbal assault. But if you try going static bait fishing on the Waveney during the summer, especially on weekends during the summer months, and it's virtually impossible due to volume of canoe traffic passing through. As far as BCU invovement is concerned, they've been placed in an invideous position. They've been told by the Govt, the EA and the Angling Trust that voluntary access agreements are the way forward, but it's a totally impractical solution which they don't have the resources to implement anyway. I've never been a member of the BCU, and I've got no intention of joining any time soon. I go paddling once a year, usually during the closed fishing season, and usually just to check out new swims etc. However when I do that I not expect to be verbally assaulted by other anglers.
Andy, can I first of all say that I am not against canoeists per se, they very often come along the Thames along with rowers, steamers, gin-palaces and all manner of craft so a few canoeists pose no threat to me. Can I also say as a piece of advice, get the monkey off your back, get rid of the angry attitude and when you come onto FM, try and make friends rather than antagonise people.

Now, the statement you just made (copied above) could answer some of your own concerns. You say you were granted canoe access to the Waveney albeit a voluntary one and then you state that it has become a "honeypot" with such a volume of canoeists on it that anglers would find it impossible to bait fish. If you are correct, this means that anglers are denied use of the River Waveney, a facility they once enjoyed.

Q. Is this the reason why anglers don't want the very same thing happening on the Wensum, i.e.: it gets taken over by canoesists and anglers, who've been pushed off one nearby river, do not want to be pushed off yet another by having it filled with canoeists?

Then you continue by admitting that you're not a member of the BCU and only go paddling TWICE a year, possibly, and then in the CLOSE SEASON. Now a lot of members on here will tell you that I am not in favour of a national close season, but I would support a localised close season if deemed necessary to protect the breeding habitat of a river and that would then mean ZERO disturbance. It's a time when anglers leave the river for the fish and yet you say there a lots of anglers slinging abuse at you, when they shouldn't be there fishing. So they must be expecting you and just go down there to protect the environment.

Q. So, if this is a regular occurance that paddlers go down the river during the close season, is this the very same reason the anglers are shouting the abuse, the fact that they want to see it all left in peace at that time of year?

It strikes me, from what you say, that you have access to one river already, why not leave the other river to the anglers rather than disturb them on that also or do you just want all of the pie? Why paddle on a river where you have no rights of access especially in the close season and then complain when you get abuse thrown at you? None of this makes any sense...

Can you explain, please (in nice language from now on otherwise this thread will close).

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Andy

If you want access, pay for it, like we have to. Riparian rights come up for sale, buy them and paddle to your hearts content.

If you can't understand why people whose property rights are being eroded get irritated and will probably choose to defend those property rights, this thread is pointless.

Stu

Last edited:

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy, can I first of all say that I am not against canoeists per se, they very often come along the Thames along with rowers, steamers, gin-palaces and all manner of craft so a few canoeists pose no threat to me. Can I also say as a piece of advice, get the monkey off your back, get rid of the angry attitude and when you come onto FM, try and make friends rather than antagonise people.

No problem, it's just that sometime people need a bit of a jolt. If you're presented with in impasse then sometimes there's no harm in giving the tree a bit of a shake.

Now, the statement you just made (copied above) could answer some of your own concerns. You say you were granted canoe access to the Waveney albeit a voluntary one and then you state that it has become a "honeypot" with such a volume of canoeists on it that anglers would find it impossible to bait fish. If you are correct, this means that anglers are denied use of the River Waveney, a facility they once enjoyed.

Yes, it's my assessment that anglers on the Wensum have some paranoid fear that the river is going to turn into Picadilly Circus. But i think these fears are unfounded. Serious volumes of canoe traffic on the Waveney only occurs during summer weekends. If you want to fish the Waveney then no problem, but during summer months it gets difficult on Saturdays / Sundays, and that's made all the more acute because of a lack of canoe access on neighbouring catchments. It just means that anglers need to work around it. In any event the hottest weather (which are most popular with paddlers) is not really good fishing weather.

But you are right to suggest that static bait anglers get forced off the river on certain days during the summer months, and this is excacerbated by the lack of access on neighbouring catchments. It's not so bad for roving fishermen, such as fly fishermen, because you can just work around it.

The right to paddle the Waveney wasn't granted when the access agreement was formalised - that was just a waste of public money and a distraction. I first paddled the river over 35 years ago. In all that time I've never heard of any access problems on the Waveney. In fact I've got a local interest film of the boy scouts canoeing the entire course of the Waveney in the 1950's. It never occurred to anyone to object to such activities in those days.

Q. Is this the reason why anglers don't want the very same thing happening on the Wensum, i.e.: it gets taken over by canoesists and anglers, who've been pushed off one nearby river, do not want to be pushed off yet another by having it filled with canoeists?

No, the barbel fishermen just have an totally irrational fear of canoiests. They don't want to come to the table and negotiate like rational people, because at the moment they percieve the dice is loaded in their favour.

Then you continue by admitting that you're not a member of the BCU and only go paddling TWICE a year, possibly, and then in the CLOSE SEASON. Now a lot of members on here will tell you that I am not in favour of a national close season, but I would support a localised close season if deemed necessary to protect the breeding habitat of a river and that would then mean ZERO disturbance. It's a time when anglers leave the river for the fish and yet you say there a lots of anglers slinging abuse at you, when they shouldn't be there fishing. So they must be expecting you and just go down there to protect the environment.

Q. So, if this is a regular occurance that paddlers go down the river during the close season, is this the very same reason the anglers are shouting the abuse, the fact that they want to see it all left in peace at that time of year?

These people have just got it in for canoeists. They don't want them on the river at any time of year, full stop, end of. They patrol the riverbanks even during the closed fishing season, because they say they don't want people paddling over 'their' riffles while barbel are spawning.

It strikes me, from what you say, that you have access to one river already, why not leave the other river to the anglers rather than disturb them on that also or do you just want all of the pie? Why paddle on a river where you have no rights of access especially in the close season and then complain when you get abuse thrown at you? None of this makes any sense...

Can you explain, please (in nice language from now on otherwise this thread will close).

Jeff, your request for 'nice language' fills my heart with joy, and makes me think that there may be a constructive way forward. The answer to your question is that 30 years ago I had canoe access to 2 rivers and angling access to 2 rivers.

Now, I've only got canoe access to one river, the Waveney, which I already had in the first place. In addition, my angling access to the Waveney is disrupted during the summer months by canoeists, and my angling access to the Wensum is denied by barbel fishermen. If I want to go fishing up there then I've got to pay through the nose for privalege of going on a waiting list for at least 10 years, and pay a retainer every year until one of the existing syndicate members dies. Even then, most of the best swims are reserved for 'bailiffs only'.

I agree with you. It makes no sense at all. Hence my complaints.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

Andy

If you want access, pay for it, like we have to. Riparian rights come up for sale, buy them and paddle to your hearts content.

If you can't understand why people whose property rights are being eroded get irritated and will probably choose to defend those property rights, this thread is pointless.

Stu

I resent having to pay for a rod license. Especially since most of the money seems to be squandered. Now, how much do you want me to pay to paddle which stretch of river? What a ridiculous, pointless post. I want to paddle and fish in my local river and not be answerable to petty officials like you. Go away and lobby the Govt, I'm not interested.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I want to paddle and fish in my local river and not be answerable to petty officials like you. Go away and lobby the Govt, I'm not interested.
You see, Andy, there's another monkey, get it off your back (and I'm not refering to Stu, it's your attitude).

If I want to go fishing up there then I've got to pay through the nose for privalege of going on a waiting list for at least 10 years, and pay a retainer every year until one of the existing syndicate members dies. Even then, most of the best swims are reserved for 'bailiffs only'.
However, I have never before of this kind of ludicrous situation. Why you should have to pay to be kept on a list I have no idea. On this score I would sympathise with you (but don't take it for granted! ;))

In fact I've got a local interest film of the boy scouts canoeing the entire course of the Waveney in the 1950's. It never occurred to anyone to object to such activities in those days.
Times have changed. Pressures and stresses of everyday life have got more complicated and tempers are short these days. Not an excuse, a fact of life.

They patrol the riverbanks even during the closed fishing season, because they say they don't want people paddling over 'their' riffles while barbel are spawning.
For that, though, I cannot blame them. Barbel or no barbel, it might just as well be dace or chub or even bream (you tell me). The riffles are good spawning areas and it is these areas that should be protected so, although as I said, I am not in favour of a national close season, it is that very type of area that I would keep everyone (anglers and all - including paddlers) away from. It makes nothing but sense if you stand back and analyse it fully and I'm not saying the local fence (another term for close season) couldnt be shorter even, but the fact that there should be one I would not argue with.

Now the question of - is the stream fit for paddlers? I don't know, but like I said, if it's not deemed to be a navigable river and you don't have the permissions of the local land owners (forget the anglers for a minute) you really should not trespass. It's like parking your car in someone else's drive and then crying wolf when they get upset by it. If at some stage you would be granted voluntary navigation rights with the agreement of all the land owners then by all means use it, but until then I would stay off however nice a river it would be to paddle.

PS: I have a stretch of backwater in Oxford that I rent, it's navigable and a local venture scouts group do use it to canoe through and I have absolutely no problem with them. One minute they're there, upto 20 canoes, next minute they're gone - no sweat. I also have another little stretch that I 'manage' that includes a concrete weir and canoes come over that, about 12-18 or so. They come through our swim the most popular one being right beneath the near side of the weir, but rather than disappear further on downstream, they come back into the splash and start their turnovers or what you call them all splashing about and when you ask them to move (there's a further 100 metres of weir) as you have baits down there, us anglers get mouthfulls of abuse. So it cuts both ways, Andy.

Bear this in mind, wise words from a late comedian, Issy Bonn - " "To every problem there is a solution. If there is no solution, it's not a problem but a fact of life and you have to live with it."

904_cannon

Reaction score
:eek:mg:
Sadly I have to waste more time in entering at least 10 characters :rolleyes:

Rod license money squandered? Please expand

"They patrol the riverbanks even during the closed fishing season, because they say they don't want people paddling over 'their' riffles while barbel are spawning"

Not sure whether that is true or not, but I applaud whoever does. As far as I know it is still an offence to disturb spawning (unclean) fish. Whether those fish be salmon, chub, barbel or dace, its still an offence!

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
For me, everyone has a right to use the river, whether they're boating, swimming or fishing. Boats and canoes might come along when you're fishing, but that's just part of the hazards of fishing that particular stretch.

I think you have to cope with them the same as you would with overhanging trees or big nettle beds or whatever - a bit of a pain, but what can you do? I don't see they can scare the fish that much. They must be used to boats I would think.

All sides need to keep a sense of perspective and tolerance of others way of enjoying themselves. Both fishing and canoeing are supposed to be about fun and relaxation - if you're getting all steamed up and making threats of violence etc then you're not doing it right!

Finally. I have to agree with Andy to some extent about syndicates and super-expensive semi-closed angling clubs. These effectively ban us regular joes from throwing a line out on great long stretches of our rivers. It's greedy and unfair of them.

They're a bigger frustration to a decent days fishing that any boats that have ever come through my swim.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you're both still missing the point maceo.
We are talking about the safe guarding of habitat, nothing to do with boats v anglers.
Most rivers are lacking water , the proposal for the river Avon paddle could have done some damage to fish spawning habitat etc.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
What a ridiculous, pointless post. I want to paddle and fish in my local river and not be answerable to petty officials like you. Go away and lobby the Govt, I'm not interested.
As I thought, a pointless thread. You want to use other peoples property and for them to pay for it. Pathetic.

Stu

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:Rod license money squandered? Please expand

I've already explained this on the previous thread that was locked.

The Environment Agency use money from the rod license fee to artificially stock an environmentally sensitive river with non-native barbel, in order that the barbel fishermen can form an exclusive 'closed shop' syndicate then close down public access to the river.

They also waste vast amounts of public funding attempting to artificially create suitable barbel habitat in the hope the barbel population will become self sustaining, in spite of over 50 years of empiracal evidence that this is simply not possible. This is done under guise of the 'Wensum Restoration Strategy'. It is not only wasteful, to my mind it's corrupt and a misappropriation of public funds.

"They patrol the riverbanks even during the closed fishing season, because they say they don't want people paddling over 'their' riffles while barbel are spawning"

Not sure whether that is true or not, but I applaud whoever does. As far as I know it is still an offence to disturb spawning (unclean) fish. Whether those fish be salmon, chub, barbel or dace, its still an offence!

I can assure you it's 100% true, and I most definitely do not applaud them for it. I think it's fascism of the first order. Even putting aside the point that the barbel shouldn't even be in the river in the first place, a canoe passing over a riffle does no more damage than a log drifting down the river. Moreover, we all know that barbel regularly spawn well in July, so how many spawning females are going to get pulled out of the river over the course of a season? It's not only fascism, it's gross hypocracy.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

As I thought, a pointless thread. You want to use other peoples property and for them to pay for it. Pathetic.Stu

Pointless thread eh? I note you're still here, and second time around the powers that be don't seem to be in quite so much of hurry to close the thread down. I also note that certain anglers seem to think that they have some god given right to dictate to landowners which activities take place on a river.

This thread has never been about a few grumpy landowners trying to close down navigation rights to a river, it's about anglers doing it.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

I think you're both still missing the point maceo.
We are talking about the safe guarding of habitat, nothing to do with boats v anglers.
Most rivers are lacking water , the proposal for the river Avon paddle could have done some damage to fish spawning habitat etc.

The thing is Fred, anglers trying to keep paddlers of the river is not about safe guarding habitats, it's about safe guarding vested interests and making money at the expense of another user group. The type of angler that typically tries to deny the river to others doesn't give a damn about the environment. All they care about is protecting there own selfish vested interests and creating an 'illusion of solitude'.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

I have never before of this kind of ludicrous situation. Why you should have to pay to be kept on a list I have no idea. On this score I would sympathise with you (but don't take it for granted! ;))

I can assure you that is the way of things. It's not dissimilar to what happened at Kickles Farm on the Great Ouse : the Environment Agency artificially stocks barbel into a small, slow flowing river which lacks suitable spawning habitat or cover, the fish grow bloated on a diet of artificially introduced high protein supplements, until ultimately, a record fish gets pulled out of the river. The local barbel fishermen proclaim the scene of this crime to be a 'fishing mecca' in the national press and the whole thing goes nuts.

Interestingly, the latest twist in the saga for both the Wensum and Upper Great Ouse is that the otters come along and eat all the barbel. As you know, barbel are designed for big, fast rivers like the Trent or the Thames. When you artificially introduce them into small slow flowing rivers they become easy prey. John Wilson often used to puzzle over why the Wensum barbel would allow him to swim right up to them whilst he was scuba diving. The answer is, because they're not supposed to be in there. Of course, when it's a scuba diver then no harm is done to the fish. But when it's an otter ....

904_cannon

Reaction score
You seem to be obsessed by the Wensum and its barbel Mr Youngs, did some unsuspecting barbel once suck your toe when much younger.

I repeat, had you and the many selfish 'me me me' brigade like you supported the save the Wensum campaign all those years ago, there now would be no need for anyone to protect 'their' re instated spawning gravels.

Might I suggest you look a little further than your own very narrow self interests.

cg74

Reaction score
Pointless thread eh? I note you're still here, and second time around the powers that be don't seem to be in quite so much of hurry to close the thread down. I also note that certain anglers seem to think that they have some god given right to dictate to landowners which activities take place on a river.

I am "here" purely because of the thread's comical merit, cos it's certainly making me chuckle, but regards serious debate; it's a load of old bollox!!

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Might I suggest you look a little further than your own very narrow self interests.

Yeah right, as if!!