Mega slow FM

J

john conway

On my last automatic up-date Windows installed a wed site check program which boots in every time I switch from Tab to Tab while I'm in FishingMagic. It takes almost 50sec every time I switch tabs.
I've looked in the program settings but I don't understand the consequences of ticking the litte boxes, & there's loads of them.
What the hells going on?
I could restore back to a date prior to the last update but I don't want to do that if it means no more updates.
Anyone know what's going on?

C

Cakey

John dont touch anything yet mine was slow all afternoon and tonight its whooooshing

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Could be why everyone elses has been slow on FM (se other thread) ?

njb51

Reaction score
Here's a tip!

Don't use IE, Don't use windfows updaate, use firefox instead and reap the benefitsw. There are loadfs of add-ons for iyt and they are very usefulk!c Specially the weather ones.!

Turn off windows updates. Useless anyews.

Love

Jonny.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Looks like Firefox knackers your spelling ..

flumpy

Reaction score
all this on computers ive lost the plot from start think a computer course is needed

E

Eric Hayes

I've found this site has gone slower and slower over the last 18 months or so. Its got nothing to do with windows updates and to suggest you turn them off is just daft. The speed has got more to do with the adverts and particular the animated ones. I was using this site for my home page up until about 6 months ago, now I use BFW, life is just to short to Wait for this site to load. Try this: run a program like SpyBot or AdAware and the site will speed up for a few days but once it's put all the adds back on your system it will just slow back down again. I'm no expert but it looks to me like the adds have an higher priority when loading.

J

john conway

Cakey, your right it seems to be getting faster. Also it?s quite some time since I did a defrag I'll run that to night and do a general disk clean up.

R

Rodney Wrestt

John, a defrag won't increase your connection speed, I found the site to be running slowly too, but it's fine now. Maybe just a server issue?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have commented a few times about the slow speed of FM, it seems to go through phases which may or may not have to do with alterations being made to the site. At one stage yesterday I could get on FM okay but not the forum and for a couple of days previous it was taking an age to load pages on the forum.

Johnny, you of all people should know better than to suggest switching off updates, critical updates are there for a reason and not designed to slow the computer or knacker it any way, most of them are security related.

Firefox, Opera or Internet Explorer? I have tried all three and I have found IE7 overall is as good as, maybe better than the other two. All browsers have their plusses and minuses its down to personal choice but none of them will make your computer run faster.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

yes me too last night it took ages to geta window up but today its buzzing i know its not my puter cos i just reloaded it 5 days ago