Barometer and fishing

P

Philip Inzani

I am really interested in what are good atmospheric conditions for fishing.
What are the good and bad conditions ? Are some species effected more than others ?

Any Barometer watchers out there got thoughts on this ?

S

Stephen McNiven

I have been led to beleive that the main thing to watch for is a reading that does not fluctuate much over a couple of days. Altough I would like to know more myself.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I am a great believer in air pressures effects on fish behaviour.I wont go into my theories here as that is all they are. However the facts that I have noticed are as follows.When Pike fishing in the winter all of my best days Piking(when I say best I mean numbers of fish caught as opposed to just a solitary big fish) have coincided with high pressure.The change to high pressure seeming to be the key.I have also noticed that during these conditions that the trout in growing on cages tend to feed harder.Why? don't know just that 35 years fishing has shown me this.Fish appear to be able to detect an iminent change in pressure,both up and down.When out fishing the pike have either just switched on or off and when looking at the barometer the pressure has indeed changed.High pressure in winter tends to bring clear skys with the resulting frosts and no wind.Low pressure at the same time of year is assosiated with overcast skys,rain,wind and more milder temperatures.Winter Carp fishing often apears better in low pressure.As allready mentioned by Stephen settled weather seems good, but I have found this best true for fish other than Pike.I gave up keeping detailed diaries a long time ago.My reasoning being that if any factor was that important it would make it self blatantly obvious over the years.Air pressure, for me at least, has done this.Would be most interested in other peoples views and experiences on this subject.

C

Carp Angler

Do you think the higher air pressure has some effect on the pikes' swimbladder?
I know they are more susceptable to depth change and notice them 'gulping' air quite frequently when they are on the move.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I am fairly convinced that due to the fact that fish live in a pressured enviroment ie water that this is why they are affected in this way.The fact that the two opposites ie predator and prey react to opposite conditions also doesnt supprise me.Does any one out there know if air pressure affects water pressure?cant remember from my diving days.I have always felt that it is possibley the resulting weather conditions that a change in pressure brings that might be the key.Are calm,bright,cold conditions better for predators to hunt and when the opposite safer for the prey to feed? More questions than answers I am afraid!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Like other anglers with a few years experience I too have noticed that changes in barometric pressure affect the appetites of fish. But to throw another spanner in these works, it also applies to shallow, fast-flowing rivers, not just to stillwaters with some depth.

P

Philip Inzani

I was very interested to hear Budgies views on this, especially the bit about the change to high pressure being good for predators...I will certainly be trying that out.
I had generally thought that a move to low pressure signals good "general" fishing conditions but again as Budgie points out this may be more to do with these conditions coinciding with mild/wet weather than the pressure itself.
Graham, you mention that you have also noticed that pressure effects fish appetites but have you come to any conclusions ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've never been one for keeping records of fish caught, conditions, baits, methods, etc. But I'm with Budgie on this one. High pressure for predators and low pressure for other species.

But what about this theory, and that's all it is:

High pressure is when other species (prey fish) feed least and are therefore less active. So is that why predators then feed best - because their prey is easier to catch?

P

Philip Inzani

...sounds resonable to me...they go for it when its easier to catch.