Underwater Angler Viewing Systems

William Bovington

Reaction score
The carp cam ? brilliant piece of technology,however,do we need another piece of angling gadgetry?It seems to me we are ever increasingly heading towards armchair angling what with some of the lakes i now refuse to go to because they allow people to drive their cars upto their swims.Is the Art of angling in decline ?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well my views william are that for purposes of knowledge and learning about fish cams are fine but when used in accual fishing i thinks its a scam that takes all the fun and expertise out of fishing i thought the art of fishing was to use skill developed over years to catch fish not use a camera to find and catch them with thats not skill so yes i am against it.As for driving your car to the swim for able boddied i supose yoy have a point but for me i have breathing probs and find it hard to carry or pull my gear too far nd it is a help to me to be able to get somewhat close but again a car park on the lake or near a river within a quarter of a mile will do i think unless your in a wheelchair anyone can manage that so again yes i dont realy like to see cars all around the fishing area spoils the atmosphere.

William Bovington

Reaction score
Yes Bob, you have a point,there are lakes where by disabled anglers can park up within reasonable distance of swims etc and i am certainly in favour of these .Regarding the carp cam,for centuries man has pitted his wits against his quarry without gadgets,and for me,the sense of achievment of attaining your goal without technological help is far greater.the trouble is with any gadget, it is so often abused and often creates sterile non thinking anglers.

B

well i,ll stick to the old fasioned way. tight lines mate

C

Cakey

so you dont use modern rod ,lines ,reels,hooks etc then William ??

B

oi oi cakey how you doin mate fished that stretch of the laa stort last week had 2.4 2.8 and 3.8 chub nice bit of water

William Bovington

Reaction score
yes,some things i do use,I dont see a problem with advancement in rod or reel materials its a natural progression as in cars ,tv,s etc but the watercraftand input remains the same,however with things like video cams ,smartcasts etc it takes a lot of the effortand achievment out of it .whats next rods that take themselves fishing, or maybe fishing by proxy?

C

Cakey

cant see whats wrong with mapping out a swim or watching fish feed

William Bovington

Reaction score
Mapping out a swim can be done with a marker float set up and watching fish feed is what were always looking for anyway except we are doing it above the water with stealth and grace (ooh hark at me starting to sound like a ballet dancer).

C

Cakey

well I will carry on using all the tech I can and I love my boat cam................

William Bovington

Reaction score
Sounds like star wars technology to me,more kit than james bond,have to start calling you 00 something.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

With the advance in technology, we will reach a point where maybe our sport becomes no more - "Fair angling with rod and line."

Maybe one day we will be able to make the fish take our bait with some form of electronic signal to the fishes brain.

As regards fish finders, I have used sonar devices many times and they certainly help on large often featureless lakes.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There is no such thing as a featureless lake Ron.
william is right in what he says about getting too technical. I would use an electronic feaure finder if and when I get the chance. But I would like to think that I can use a marker float to its fullest extent first.

I was feature finding recently with a marker float. A match type angler told me that my float was too big and that I wouldn't catch anything with it, so I just nodded my head and watched him for a while. If he had taken the time to find out what a marker float was really for, he would have realised that if he had cast a few more yds to his left, that he would have been just over a nice drop off and caught plenty. Instead he had a miserable couple of hours catching nowt.

I think a marker float used as a feature finder will become more popular than what it already is. Electronic feature finders do not tell you what the lake bed is like. Silt. mud. gravel etc.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Yes Cakey. But knowing you, you've given yours a good fiddling with.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Do you mean by looking at the thickness of the black line that is the lake bed on the monitor?

William Bovington

Reaction score
Hi guys ,I still think the advance of technology is a bad thing,Yes i know there are certainly advantageous situations,and obviously when i speak i am looking at the bigger picture out there.I can see that some of you are well rounded anglers that use watercraft to its full potential,and the addition of such equipment in the right hands and with the right motives can only extend ones knowledge, however, too many newcomers come to the sport with lots of money and little knowledge ,and as such dont think they need proper guidance because (like the manual says with this product)they already know? A bit like a novice with a loaded gun.