River pike and coloured water

broomy

Reaction score
I want to do more pike fishing this winter on my local River Tees.
Previously I have only gone after pike in non flood clear water conditions.
Is it worth trying for pike when the waters up and coloured.
If so what methods favourite

chav professor

Reaction score
could be worth a go...... the pike hold up in the big slacks that occur with coloured water following a flood. occasionally catch them on lob worms or luncheon meat when tackling other species.

The other thing to consider is night fishing for pike - especially on pressured waters!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Good Smelly Dead Baits with plent of Predator Oil over them.

Pilchards are my favourite, but the are lots of others.

I fish them Paternoster style in flood conditions.

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
Yes the smelly sea deadbait is favourite, but I would not discount lures completely in coloured water. I would just ensure that they have a good rattle inside.

Find a good slack and you could catch several fish from the same swim.

mark knowles

Reaction score
I'd give it a miss if you think the flood water is coming from snow melt. The Tees drains some of the wildest areas of the country.

keora

Reaction score
I've never caught much when lure fishing in any flooded river, mainly I think because of the poor visibility in the water. It's different with deadbaits, but it depends on the river. I've had good days with pike on the Wharfe in flood. On the other hand, I no longer fish the Ure/Ouse when it's coloured after heavy rain, as I get very few fish in these conditions.

syhaze

Reaction score
if it's the colour of stewed tea or worse then i'd personally look for somewhere that wasn't, most likely a still water...if i were to stick it out on the river though i'd be using lamprey sections for bait as they give a lovely scent/blood trail for ages.

geggsnick

Reaction score
Reading Mick Browns book at the moment and he seems to have had plenty of success on coloured flooded rivers, like Chav says though, fish the slack waters, inlets etc.. all according to him anyway i'm no expert by any strectch of the imagination but i'd say his advice is pretty good...