Nature

goody

Reaction score
I have seen some great sunrises and sunsets had deer swimming in the lake whilst fishing watched the kingfisher all day long and wondered at wildlife mating in the spring. What has been your best nature moments whilst fishing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not one particular incident but fishing the rivers for so many years has provided some lovely moments for me, not just the wildlife but the peace and tranquility that is to be found on the riverbank.

One of the most picturesque rivers I fish is the Teme and it is well named because it is absolutely teeming with wildlfe, more kingfishers than is normal and I have sat and fished with otters playing and fishing not 20 yards above me. The Teme is what I call a Mr Crabtree river, it has an atmosphere about it that is impossible not to feel, it is narrow, tree lined and not very deep, you can walk across it in waders in many places, and it is the sort of river where you can fish all day and not catch a fish but go home and say you thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love the Wye and have done most of my fishing life, it is a magnificently grand river but the Teme is almost on a par with it but for very different reasons.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Sat very close behind my rods while legering for Bream and a pair of Kingfishers landed on one of my rods, approx 10-12ft away from me, sat there for around 8-10 seconds, before moving on. Superb!
Also having 3 Otters cross a bank from one lake to another 15/20 feet in front of me.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

the week before last i sat on my local bit of water very similar to the teme it seems the tree lined banks and wonderfull peacefull atmosphere and there not ten yds away came out a mink i normally see him in the same spot and watch him play and jump about his habitat lovely to watch and as you say even if you dont catch its never a wasted day

Reaction score
Fishing a stretch of the River Lot (France) with Red Kites flying overhead.

I agree with Graham - just being on the Teme is pleasure enough. Kingfishers and Dippers at Dinham weir. Otters further downstream.

Monkhall fisheries in Shropshire. Owl Lake to myself. Stopped fishing twice to watch a) A kingfisher sat watching me and b) a barn owl quartering the area.

Sums up why we fish.(apart from catching the odd fish)

William Bovington

Reaction score
I have had many a memorable moment with many a wildlife moment,but by far the most impressive,was when i was fishing a lake in winter and about sixty + mute swans came into land on both small lakes,totally destroyed my fishing though.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
Watching a Daubenton's bat working a lake at Bedgebury in Kent. Bright morning sunlight. Most unusual.

Dave German

Reaction score
watching a weasel stalking (& missing) a moorhen, then sitting there chittering at me like it was my fault it got wet.

John Tyroll

Reaction score
The best thing I've seen was whilst fishing was on a lake in Sussex. A kestrel took a grass snake out of the margins. later only to find it stripped to the bone under and oak tree on a future walk back from the lake.
Also on the same lake I had a pair of deer swim 70m across the lake only 100 yards from where I was sitting.
Again on the same lake there was an osprey staying for 2 weeks before moving on!

T

The Monk

So many really, like a lot of anglers the old Kingfisher momentary sat on a rod and setting off the bite alarm, other memories include a green woodpecker chipping away overhead, deer watching, stoats, Mink, many bird varieties, bats and snakes, they look really good swimming across the water, I`ve also seen beaver and chipmunk in the States and a European brown bear In Eastern Europe, nothing to compare with my mate Ron on his African trips though

E

EC

Watching young kingfishers get their first fishing lessons is one, feeding countless creatures out of my hand is another.

The truth is there are just so many, you end up forgetting the vast majority!

SherlockofSheff

Reaction score
Seeing more and more kingfishers on the Don. Absoulutely marvellous, and they always seem to be a good omen for the fishing. They are also a lot more socially acceptable than my other fishing superstition which is that washing my clothes will drain away the luck!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
the robins flitting down from the trees to steal a few maggots from my bait box in winter and getting bold enough to land on the arm of my chair to survey the feast on a bait tray that was before him.

And today watching a water rat swim past my swim, once a common creature but now rarely seen.

T

The Monk

What is a water rat? I though we only had the Common Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus)and the old English (Black or ship Rat,Rattus rattus , is it not a water vole you have seen Mithy, the poor old vole often gets accused of being a rat?

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I've got news for you Monk, an Elephant Shrew isn't actually a pachoderm either.Everyone knows them as Water Rats, Mr Toad's pal wasn't called Voley was he? :)

I've seen a million different inspirational wildlife sights over the years. One that's stays particularly fresh in my mind was watching a mother weasel carrying a rat of twice her size back to her kits under a fallen tree. She had to stand on her hind legs and scamper a few inches at a time to move it. By far my favourite British mammal, such a bold little creature.

T

The Monk

I've got news for you Monk, an Elephant Shrew isn't actually a pachoderm either.Everyone knows them as Water Rats, Mr Toad's pal wasn't called Voley was he? :)

? I didnt say it was Hammy, anyway Mr Toads pal was only an actor and his really name was George!

T

The Monk

Its gone crazy mate, I`m sure I get more frog spawn every year, everybody`s screwing in the garden except me!

W

Wolfman Woody

"an Elephant Shrew isn't actually a pachoderm either.Everyone knows them as Water Rats,"

Oh no, no, no! Firstly elephant shrews are mostly from Africa (cue Ron!) and they are certainly NOT water rats. They're not even considered to be of the same family - Shrews = soricidae, water rats (vole to be accurate) = microtinae, common rats = murinae. Shrews are insectivores whereas the rodents (the others) are gnawing animals and are either carnivores or vegetarians.