Chod Rig Will this one work

paul80

Reaction score
I have been away from Carp fishing for awhile now and have been catching up on some of the new techniques that are being used.

The last time I fished we where still using Dacron to tie our hair rigs, now I see one of the most talked about rig is the Chod Rig, I have had a read up on these rigs and seen quite a few videos on YouTube.

I have had a go at tying one but it is slightly different to all the ones I have seen, as I don’t smoke and stand a good chance of being on the bank side without a lighter to “Blob” the ends of the stiff link material I have tied it so that the loop is end is held under the whipping for the knotless knot, what do you think would it work doing it this way or would the rig ring be too far forward and give an incorrect presentation.

ChodRig.jpg

Also when I last fished Carp a big deal was made of the use of supple hook lengths as it was claimed the Carp would feel the mono and reject the bait, what has happened to change this, as we are now encouraged to use Mono (Fluro) hook links, and in the case of “Chod” rigs the stiff link is so “Stiff” you would think it was made from welding rod. Why don’t the Carp feel these new hook links, or was someone lying to us with the soft link material, especially as it was the same people that told us we need all these new super braids that are now tell (Selling) us Still Mono hook lengths.

Thanks

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
The idea for the use of stiff fluro is that the carp can't see it, they will feel it though. However, the rig is designed to have them feel the line/hook, be unable to rid themselves of it due to the stiffness and curve of the hooklink, then scream off giving a good run and indication.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks Sam

Would my version of the rig work or is the rig ring too far forward, all the ones I have seen on line have the loop over the whipping but on mine the loop is in front of the whipping so the POP-Up will be near the bend in the hook, will this affect the balance of the rig. If you understand what I am trying to say.
Thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks Sam

Would my version of the rig work or is the rig ring too far forward, all the ones I have seen on line have the loop over the whipping but on mine the loop is in front of the whipping so the POP-Up will be near the bend in the hook, will this affect the balance of the rig. If you understand what I am trying to say.
Thanks

Paul,
I can't say that I'm a big user of the chod rig so I don't know if your rig would be a bit to long to the ring. Looks a little bit too long compared to this but that doesn't mean yours won't work.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, that was what I was wondering, why does everyone go through all the trouble of having to melt (Blob) the line to get it to hold in place if the loop could simply be held in place by the whipping. Made me kind of think it was important that the popup was near the rear of the hook.

Paul

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Paul, with no offence intended, just becasue you dont smoke doesnt meen you cant go to the local shop and buy a cheap disposable lighter for a £ or so.
Besides, in my humble opinion, i believe thare are far better rigs to deal with silt and weed than a chod rig. Have you looked at PVA bag rigs, Long supple hooklength rigs, or if the weed/silt isnt too deep, just attching PVA nuggets to your hook will mask the hook and prevent it catching on weed as it settles on the bottom. (it then dissolves to work effectively as any other rig, by the way) Just a few thought, Signed, the CMM.

mol

Reaction score
Also when I last fished Carp a big deal was made of the use of supple hook lengths as it was claimed the Carp would feel the mono and reject the bait, what has happened to change this, as we are now encouraged to use Mono (Fluro) hook links, and in the case of “Chod” rigs the stiff link is so “Stiff” you would think it was made from welding rod. Why don’t the Carp feel these new hook links, or was someone lying to us with the soft link material, especially as it was the same people that told us we need all these new super braids that are now tell (Selling) us Still Mono hook lengths.

It's just marketing. Carp fishing is a huge business and the big companies are always trying to sell you the lastest thing

I'd buy a lighter for your tackle box and blob the tag right down.

dezza

Reaction score
Carp fishing is a huge business and the big companies are always trying to sell you the lastest thing

That is so true. The "chod rig" is nothing more than a variation on the age old stiff linked paternoster rig, which is one of the most successful arrangements ever contrived for catching carp in soft silty or weedy bottomed waters.

Many thousands of anglers have been using such a rig for over 100 years. I have certainly been using it since 1969. The last time I used it I caught over 60 carp in 3 days.

cg74

Reaction score
That is so true. The "chod rig" is nothing more than a variation on the age old stiff linked paternoster rig, which is one of the most successful arrangements ever contrived for catching carp in soft silty or weedy bottomed waters.

Many thousands of anglers have been using such a rig for over 100 years. I have certainly been using it since 1969. The last time I used it I caught over 60 carp in 3 days.

Nah, I was watching a documentary pesented by anthropologist Dr Alice Roberts, very enlightening; archeologists in Sudan had apparently unearthed a variant of the chod rig, carbon dating put it at 150,000 years old, so we humans hadn't even ventured out of Africa....

dezza

Reaction score
Nah, I was watching a documentary pesented by anthropologist Dr Alice Roberts, very enlightening; archeologists in Sudan had apparently unearthed a variant of the chod rig, carbon dating put it at 150,000 years old, so we humans hadn't even ventured out of Africa....

I wouldn't be at all surprised.

It was said some years ago that it is very dangerous in angling to claim that you have invented something new. You will find if you go far enough back, that it's all been done before.

Read Kevin Clifford's update on "A History of Carp Fishing", and turn to the chapter entitled: "Nothing New under the Sun". The truth is revealed.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score

I thought you were in S Africa not the Sudan Ron?