The FM Grayling Day, Feb 07

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks Nigel for yet another FM Fish-in with a difference. It was a real pleasure to fish a venue that I'd not usually get to, even though I only live a short drive from it, and it was not in the best of condition. But we can't control the weather can we.

Claudia faced those conditions with lots of enthusiasm and no little skill. She worked hard all day. Her just rewards came late in the day but I was extremely relieved to slide the net under her fine Grayling. I had visions of knocking it off at the net and ending up in the river as a result!

Thanks again, put me down for the next one please.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've just uploaded a couple of photos of Claudia's Grayling. They should appear in the Gallery soon.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Claudia's pics that Neil submitted to the Gallery have been added to the article.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Thanks for a fantastic fish in Nigel, I had a great time, you can certainly put me up for the next one.

Thanks again to all who helped me with tuition lessons, tips and help with the gear.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
A very large thank you must go to Nigel, it's not easy organising a fish-in. You did a fantastic job Nigel, well done and you sacrificed valuable fishing time to feed us, which we were all very grateful for.

It was a fantastic day, we met some old friends and made some new ones too. The fishing was tough to say the least! I felt privileged to be fishing such an historic river and managed to winkle a 1lb grayling out which made my day.

I can't wait for the next Itchen fish-in, fingers crossed the conditions will be more favourable next time.

J

Jeff Spiller

What a top day and sat here reading about it in the closed season brings it all back.
BRILLIANT.
Really good to see some face's that I no and some that I did not, but I do now.
Thanks F.M and thanks Nigel, please put me down for next year, you really did do a good job.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Brilliant day, thanks Nigel. Great to meet everyone and please put me down for the next one. Lets hope the conditions are better next time around.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Neil's wright, another fantastic FM fish-in.
A day that started badley for me, but turned out just as enjoyable as the kennet day (Which at the time I felt one of the most pleasing days I'd had for along time). On leaving the hotel I was meet with a flat battery - thus missing the breakfast at the fishery, and on arrival finding the river in poor condition and most had ventured off in serch of fish. Little to show by lunch I ventured way upsream in search of fish.
Only in the last hour did things come good, after a small grayling followed by a nice trout did I land the fish I was after - 2lbs 8oz a new best by a pound! Things then got better after dragging Nigel from two fields away to whitness/photograph, he had a trot a few yards downstream and landed a fish of 2lbs 1oz, a best him I believe? A magical end to a difficult day. I can't recommend these grayling days enough to anyone considering coming along. Many thanks again to Nigel!

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Great fish everyone, some real stunners. Looks like you all had a good day!

P

paul williams 2

Looked a great day lads and lass....i am sorry to have missed it.

My old pal Coops is i see in his favourite position.....a nearly empty glass waiting for a refill!! :)))

And is that one of the Scrumpies i see collaring the last full pint?????....no wonder Coops looks ****ed off!! hahaha

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mark, apologies are due.I wrongly attributed the best fish of the day to Nathan whereas yours pipped him by a couple of ounces.I couldn't quite remember the weight of your fish.Well done again;it was a cracker.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I love reading the write ups of these fish-ins,shame i cant get along to a lot of these shindigs because of one thing or another....a good time is always had by all!!!

I bet mark "the catfish king" hewitt didnt take as long to land that grayling,as he did that big old whiskers he hooked last year....he he he.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Excellent write up you all looked to be having a fantastic time! Can't wait for the next one i will be going to that.

Claudia well done babe you did good!

C

Coops

"My old pal Coops is i see in his favourite position.....a nearly empty glass waiting for a refill!! :)))"

And as usual Brummie you were nowhere to be seen!

Great day, despite lack of grayling. Those spotty herbert things the fluff chuckers catch go quite well on 3lb line though. Thanks Nigel.