Ah, so, barbel is clever after all...

cg74

Reaction score
Seems my thoughts on barbel's (well all fish species) intelligence are misguided.

First there was Stonze, I kinda got the thinking behind them but wasn't exactly sold on the idea, but now we have: Barbel Fishing World Online Shop

Maybe I need to reconsider my usage of home made flattened pear leads, perhaps filling an empty swan mussel shell with lead might be worth a go??
Or do you think what with the barbel's acute eyesight and presumed mental astuteness, if they could see the swivel, it would alert their highly tuned senses to the impending danger? :eek:mg:

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Colin
You must really keep up with the times in the modern, and not so modern, barbel world.The use of lead filled snail and mussel shells is old hat,.Much more natural than a bloody great stone lobbed into a swim though.

smithdave

Reaction score
Try a lead filled Stella can, those Cherwell barbel won't suspect a thing, either of them !

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
A little tip here, when fishing a 'cattle drink' swim, get an artificial cows leg and stick it in the mud with a line and bait attached, looks normal to the fish and they're not spooked.
The big advantage of this method is that you need only leave your bivvy every 2 or 3 hours to check if you've a fish on.

Gives you plenty of time for drinking/sleeping/reading, and, the added bonus of other anglers not seeing your rods, think that you're a consientious angler because you've not left them out unattended.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
A little tip here, when fishing a 'cattle drink' swim, get an artificial cows leg and stick it in the mud with a line and bait attached, looks normal to the fish and they're not spooked.
The big advantage of this method is that you need only leave your bivvy every 2 or 3 hours to check if you've a fish on.

Gives you plenty of time for drinking/sleeping/reading, and, the added bonus of other anglers not seeing your rods, think that you're a consientious angler because you've not left them out unattended.

Cheers Merv

Which cow anyone ?

Judas Priest

Reaction score
To be honest guys I can't see anyone making a fortune out of making leads, not with cost of the raw material these days.
Some of the "normal" leads on the market are getting for a couple of quid a pop as it is. Next time you consider chucking your "rig" into a snag pit, add up the cost of the components first and then think about drawing the fish out into open water.
Not quite the cheap sport it used to be.

cg74

Reaction score
To be honest guys I can't see anyone making a fortune out of making leads, not with cost of the raw material these days.
Some of the "normal" leads on the market are getting for a couple of quid a pop as it is. Next time you consider chucking your "rig" into a snag pit, add up the cost of the components first and then think about drawing the fish out into open water.
Not quite the cheap sport it used to be.

Danny Dumbass has done alright for himself selling leads, the reason I and many others cast our own leads is because we can produce a 2oz lead for 10-11p each.