Lee Valley Angler Lands a ''Phenomenal'' Whopper

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Brilliant fish. I didn't know there was a right up of it on here!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

What a great fish and a great catch. I'm green with envy. My best chub from that area was 6lb 6oz from the Powder Mill Stream at Waltham Abbey about 15 years ago.

T

trev matthews

Never mind the biggie that Bridge is holding what about all the others in the picture too, looks like he had a fantastic day. well done indeed.

Reaction score
I caught a chubolescent on the Dane last day of the season. Remember a weeks fishing on the Great Ouse at Paxton years back. You just had to drop a maggot on a hook into the margin to pick up a chublet.

Despite issues of abstraction and "those birds", it seems that our rivers are coming back. Add those rivers which have risen, Lazarus like, from the dead - the Mersey, Irwell round here...the Don for example elsewhere..and it is a promising future.

C

Cakey

and oddles and oddles of roach and its ok the cicus has all ready been so I cant muck it up for anyone !

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Cracking chub catch, that is one good days angling and well done that man.

What surprises me most is why he hasn't been jumped on by the oh! so righteous brigade because (a) photographs like the 9 chub catch are not considered right and proper and (b) he must have used a keepnet. Oooh! the naughty boy!

Oh! and he told everyone where he caught them as well, aaaaagh!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
He uses a big, very soft keepnet of the sort that matchmen happily park 80lbs of bream in. And which the bream don't seem to mind, either, if repeat captures are anything to go by.

Not only did Brigepal say where he caught them, he'll show you how if you're passing by. (Closed-face reel and a biggish waggler). He's no Secret Squirrel, or Big Ego; a proper Waltonian "Brother of the Angle".

I'd spotted the roach, so my hunch was that the future would be roach,perch, pike and crayfish-fattened carp; great to hear that there are more chub coming through as well.

Anyone know the form for the stretches below Aqueduct lock? I really don't fancy spending all spring on little puddles where the guy on the other side can keep plonking his float next to mine...

Reaction score
Give it time Graham, give it time. ;-)

Well done Brigepal - from Alan's comment the far bank waggler for big chub on the Lea is back, alive and kicking - or have I just entered the angling version of "Life on Mars"

Posh

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
They're not stapled to the deck - I've only tried for them once, and had one on bread on the feeder near the far bank, and one on float about a third of the way across, on what I hoped (wrongly) would become my roach line. Also on bread.
If you used to fish for them in the eighties, then the very big girls might be old friends of yours!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
This was in the anglers mail weeks ago....i did start a thread about it and also asked why there aren`t more asians,blacks etc... out there fishing.
It`s a fantastic catch and well done to you sir.

Maverick

Reaction score
A brilliant catch, which ranks even higher in my opinion because they were caught trotting on the stick float (a sadly dying art) - as opposed to lobbing out a leger and waiting which is the norm for specimen fish. Congratulations that man!