The 8th FM Ribble Winter Chub Fish-in

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Thanks as always to John, Lee for the hair rigged Bhajis. Can we bomb down to the Kennet or Thames or one of those bleedin cockney 'Chab' rivers and empty it? No? Didn't think so, damn... We've got proper rocks in our rivers, none of that gravel nonsense.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sounds like you all had a great time again, fingers crossed the Scrumpies will be able to make the 9th Ribble fish-in. We've heard so much about the Ribble and the Bunkhouse we've got to give it a go!

And Swordsy's bhajis too!!!

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I'd like the recipe for Swordsies Bhajis please, looking at the pics I can see that Wol et a few!, and he says they are the biz.

J

john conway

I wouldn't mind a Chub fish-in down south, but I don't think they have anything as common as bunkhouses down there?

You do realise chaps that Lee's Bhajis come with a public health warning. It has also been rumoured that they could be the source of the bunkhouse animal noises?

If it would make it more convenient for the lads travelling any distance then I could arrange for the bunkhouse to be available on the Friday evening as well, and we could also make an earlier start if you wanted to get more fishing time in on the river.

G

Gary Knowles

Wol - you fished well mate and deserved your fish. It's one thing being put on them, another catching them.

Net bitch.

John Tower

Reaction score
Thought i could find my way round web-sites but I only find out about the fish-ins after the event. Can someone direct me to a list of those coming up.

Many thanks

John

Lee Swords

Reaction score
The Ribble does are the highlight of the FM social calendar and long may they continue!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
John if you click the forum button at the top the first one on the list is events-fish ins.

Had a excellent time with some good company as always. looking forward to the next one already.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
That Ric Merick guy seems to catch a few, anyone know him? :)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yes,thanks for the organisation of it.

Murray, got this from Lee.....

2 white onions thinly sliced
1 red onion as above
Bunch of spring onions as above
Bunch of coriander as above
2x Birds eye chillies
2x halapenjo chillies
1/2 x scots bonnet chilli
( Basically as many varieties as you can find....I think we had 7 sources of chilli)
1 tspn of madras curry paste
Gram flour

Chop the **** out of everything then sprinkle the gram flour onto it, crush everything together adding gram until a paste is formed fry in batches until golden.

taste for spiciness then throw in bin as you phone an ambulance and fire brigade

3/4 of the chillies can left out and the recipe subbed with Cauliflower (cooked) spinach (not tinned) Beetroot (cooked) mushroom or chestnuts.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'm sorry i missed out on this fish-in but i will be on the next one! speaking of the 'next one' when is it?

Some cracking fish caught well done! Wol an ace fish that mate!

J

john conway

Ric, Ric Merick has been before, he fishes with Paul Morley, I think they are in different clubs so they generally fish day ticket waters so they can fish together.

I'm having one of those bad back days at the moment and now that we are in Ribble limbo for three months I've decided to do a wee bit of analytical work on the FM Ribble reports. I'm also on a sickie, hence the chance to work on my Ribble spreadsheets. So far, it looks like the Ribble has peeked Chub wise. However, the Barbel are still on the up.
The question is; are the Barbel numbers on the Ribble now affecting the Chub?
I still have a lot more work to do but I'll post my results as soon as possible. The reason I mentioned the bad back bit (too many falls caving and horse riding) is that the pills I'm on send me for short spells into cloud cuckoo land and I'll need to recheck my work when I'm not away with the fairy's. I'll have to get Lee to send me some of his Bhajis they certainly clear the head.

J

john conway

Wendy the next winter Chub fish-in will be late November or early December.

G

Gary Knowles

John - I think the barbel population is continuing to increase but from the perspective of optimum weight, I thing that has peaked.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong though..

J

john conway

You're probably right Gary, by now I would have expected to have seen a Ribble 18lb plus Barbel?

Using the FM Venue reports for the Ribble it pans out as follows: -
2002/3 - 108 sessions - 5 Barbs over 10lbs
2003/4 - 216 sessions ? 10 Barbs over 10lbs
2004/5 - 263 sessions ? 24 Barbs over 10lbs & 1 over 12lbs
2005/6 - 316 sessions ? 24 Barbs over 10lbs
2006/7 - 333 sessions ? 27 Barbs over 10lbs & 4 over 12lbs

2002/3 - 108 sessions - 18 Chub over 5lbs &1 over 6lbs
2003/4 - 216 sessions ? 27 Chub over 5lbs & 2 over 6lb
2004/5 - 263 sessions ? 66 Chub over 5lbs & 5 over 6lbs
2005/6 - 316 sessions ? 56 Chub over 5lbs & 5 over 6lbs
2006/7 - 333 sessions ? 38 Chub over 5lbs & 1 over 6lbs

My own Chub records follow a similar pattern. I was talking to Martin James the other day and he also thought the chub had peeked on the Ribble, like you Gary I hope I'm proved worng.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Good work as usual John.

What were you saying about pills? Ric Merick, that be me!!

J

john conway

Back at work now and still on the pills, this is going to be a laugh? I keep dozing off every couple of hours and suddenly wake up and wonder what the hell I was talking about.
Ric how come you have two names?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Just one name John. The 'Merick' is part of my Email address, that's all mate!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Blimey I'll have to explain his jokes as well as mine - me-rick, me-tarzan, you - John! To Barney Ribble - nobody's being churlish about Wol's success, we were giving him suitable stick on the day and my comment was an extension of that, sadly you couldn't join us on the day. What is more exciting is the potential of us Northern nerks descending on those legendary Southern rivers, don't you think? If the Ribble's peaked , JC, I'm buggered as I get my PAA membership this year and intend to fish hard..still it's better than sea fishing the tidal Trent with 6 oz of lead....