Take Care!

C

Craig w

Today while out walking about on the Canal at Tiverton near where i live, I was chucking a few lures around for some pike & i hooked into a Jack, i took a step close to the edge to hold the rod out to stop it darting back into the snagg it just came out of and......I slipped on the edge of the wet bank and fell in! Lucky for me it was not too deep just below my waste, but i did go right in and it was very very cold and i was about one and three quarters of a mile from my car! Ive not got wet or cold like that in the winter before. I was very cold and shivering buy the time i had walked back to the car., i will be much more careful, Its easy in the heat of the moment not to notice how close you are to edge, it could have ended up worse!

J

John McLaren

When I regularly fly-fished for trout I always carried a change of clothing in the car. I reasoned that as I was wading the chance of a soaking were fairly high. I only needed the clothes once, but it saved a washed out day. These days I rarely carry spare clothes but some of the banks I walk along are desperately unsafe, quite apart from the sort of mischance Craig experienced - Daft innit? I must get back into the habit of keeping a change of clothing in the car.

C

Craig w

I always carry a change in the car when im "kitted" up for a session, but i was fishing light i had just chucked the rod and a pocket full of lures etc in the car and nipped up for an couple of hours.

S

Shrek

The other week I was walking the banks of the upper Avon and got one leg stuck in mud halfway up my thigh. Luckily my mate and his Dad were there to haul me out, otherwise I would have had great difficulties. The stupid thing was, I was even testing other parts of the river with a long stick to see how deep/safe things were. I echo your thoughts and advice Craig and won't be as daft in future

J

John Pleasance

Ah but did you go back and carry on fishing Craig,I fell in the Lea once in December (its complicated ,don't ask) but climbed out,left my tackle, drove ten miles home and changed, then back and carried on fishing !

C

Craig w

nope John i did not come back, it was getting dark.

But if it had been early in the day i would have come back :)

C

Carp Angler

I've always got a change of clothes in the van.(including shoes)
I don't tend to fall in but seem to always catch a big fish when it's absolutely bucketing it down and I end up soaked to the skin.

D

Dave Feeney

when ever I fish the rivers like the seven wye, ribble I always take a rope and a screw in bank stick, the banks can be very slippy so I also carry a small fold up spade to dig steps into the bank.
A mobile phone is usefull and I've started to carry a small whistle to attract attention if need be, the river side can be a very lonley place especially if like me you tend to fish alone.
It may appear over the top but you only drown once. take care and fish safe.

C

Craig w

i had a mobile phone that worked real well, with dual simm cards so i could swap networks (my 3 regular venues - orange works on one, btcellnet on another) so i was always able to be contacted if need.......... but they dont work very well when they are in your pocket and you fall in !!

D

Dave Feeney

I know Craig, bent over to net a barbel on the seven once and my mobile fell plop from my top pocket into the river, guess the chub and barbel can call a friend now, when they spot us trying to creep up on them.