coarse fisherman magazine

Reaction score
Following on from the nec post and post's about other angling publications i got wondering as to how many web site users actually buy coarse fisherman magazine? Since it has ties with this very website? And if angling times is southern biased is cf biased towards the midlands and north of the country? {not that it bothers me coming from Nottingham} jusy wondered what other peoples thought were on the subject.

W

Wolfman Woody

CF's only connection with this site is that our Editor, Graham, writes for CF magazine and has done for many years now and he gets to put a page in CF about what's been going on on these pages. Also, we allow Stu Dexter, CF's Editor, to come on and win (or place) the Clattercote match every year to relieve us of the burden of carrying around all this heavy money. He's good like that.

Other than that, I have been a CF reader since 1996 (I think) and it is a good magazine, probably one of the more adult ones (although not in the naughty sense, you understand). It's not been biased to either north or south particularly having writers like Tony Miles (S), Mick Wood (N), John Bailey (S-ish), Ian Welch (def-S), Bob Roberts (def-N), Ken Townley (S), Mick Brown (swings both ways in a sense), Julian Cundiff (def-N), Gary 'Barney Ribble' Knowles (def-N), et al.....

Also, when you pay by subscription or renew they offer you all sorts of gifts for the cost of postage (about a fiver) and many have been well worth having over the years.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Best mag out there. As woody says for the more
mature angler. Does not try to teach you but inspire and get they grey matter working.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Agree with Bryan's comments above. Inspiration rather than tuition. That reminds me, the next issue should be landing on my door mat soon!

F

Fred Bonney

I was a subscriber for many years,but decided not to renew this year, and try out the new magazine,tcf for a year.

One thing I would say is, that having just looked at Cf's website,it was last updated, by the looks of it, in June,last year!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

NO!Used to though, but I do buy Coarse Angling Today

Christer Sjaunja@

Reaction score
I think they loose a lot of foreign subscribers when you cant make a subscription via the webpage. Started subscriptions on IYCF and TCF on-line with my visa-card...

J

Jeff Spiller

Being fairly new to fishing (two years) I've tried all the different mags/papers and now only buy C/F and sometimes A/T.
There is usually something in C/F I find interesting or informative, although there's some bloke on the back page's who keeps waving his hands around and asking proper questions,some even require proper answers.

C

Coops

I subscribed to CF for a number of years up until the renewal was due in Jan this year. I decided not too renew this time as so much of the subject matter goes round and round that there comes a time over a number of years when there is not a lot new stuff to read.

Still a good mag though, and I will buy it off the shelf if I see something in it that sparks an interest.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I love the magazine CF it is full of 'real' information. I also like TCF and IYCF they are also a good read and give in-depth information too.These magazines are fantastic for someone like myself, who is learning, i often rip pages out and put them in my tackle box to look at when i'm at the bank.

I will be buying the new magazine Northern Angler which is due to come out in May,because i am writing a few bits for it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have been a subscriber to CF for three years now and my only criticism of it would be the seemingly repetitive articles of Tony Miles. Surely there is a limit to how many ways there are of describing a days tench fishing or session on the river after chub or am I being picky?

I have recently subscribed to the Waterlog magazine as well and my first copy is due now I believe, I am looking forward to that very much.

My trouble is I can't bring myself to get rid of these magazines and my wife complains bitterly about them. They are in the bottom of the wardrobe, up the loft, on the bedroom chair and if there was a place for them they would be in the loo too, she doesn't understand that its handy just to pick one up when the notion takes you or when you are in contemplative mood in the loo.

pete proctor

Reaction score
Thanks Graham, i thought i was the only one who thought that about Tony Miles. He's writing exactly the same old stuff in coarse angling today mag. if i see another article off him about baiting six swims and fishing them in turn i'll throw up.

B

Bully

Used to, and I always thought it the best.

However I am 100% behind what Coops says in that after a while you just begin reading the same old stuff.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

ditto floodwater barbel! I enjoy Tony's writing and have respect for him as an angler but maybe he needs to expand his boundaries a bit?Still better to write well about what you know than pretend you are an expert on what you are not.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
The problem for all angling magazines is the fact that there is a limit to how many ways 'man catches fish' can be put so all of them tend to be repetitve. It's simply the nature of the beast.
Writers like Tony are loved by editors because they can be relied on to be able to send in copy and pictures to a given standard month in month out.
Many of us can write the odd good article but editors need those who can keep doing it routinely.
This is why there is the tendency for the same names to crop up month in month out.
I'm sure that Stewart would be delighted if there was a pool of new writing talent to draw on!
The other problem for anyone wishing to write is that with the possible exception of Nursing angling is the Bitchiest pastime in the world!!
Everybody is a 'expert' and all could do better than them as is doing the writing!!
I moderate on a couple of other forums and some of the comments that we have to deal with are vile and I know that Graham occasionally has similar problems on here once the handbags start flying.
So anyone wishing to be an angling writer or indeed hold any sort of position within angling needs nto have a Very thick skin!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It is quite obvious that there are only so many ways of stating how to go about catching a fish, whatever the species, and this is where nearly all angling magazines come unstuck. Rather than have a predominantly "how to" approach I think they would be far better using a "narrative style", the fishing holiday in India or wherever, my formative years in angling etc. you know what I mean? Graham's piece is a good example, although regular, it is always different covering a multitude of angling problems, opinions or even the odd moan this is what the average reader wants, he knows very well how to catch a chub or barbel.

David Hall's "Coarse Fishing" is often quoted as the best fishing magazine ever published and rightly so in my opinion. It was always different, along with the "days chubbing" articles there were humourous ones and Wades match scene stories, David Hall's day out with someone on a river or pool. This type of variety was what made his magazine stand out and was eagerly awaited every month by me at least, it was a sad day when he stopped producing it.

W

Wolfman Woody

"So anyone wishing to be an angling writer ....... needs to have a Very thick skin!!

How true, Alan, how true!

If only the "knockers" would commit themselves to print and let us have a go at them!

What some might forget about Tony's writing, it may be the umpteenth time you've read it, but for many, it's the first time. I hardly ever read his column now in CF simply because I've probably read it before (and shaving the old tash off doesn't fool anyone Tony! :eek:) )

In fairness to him, his advice is good and long may he continue writing and giving that advice. CF have brought in some new writers recently, Ian Welch is always worth a read as is our own Barney Ribble (aka Gary Knowles).

The first time I picked it up was when I was on a flight to Belgium. I saw it on the news stand and thought it looked good, plus there was a sample of some flavouring powder in a bag on the front cover, Rod Hutchie's honey and something, I think.

I put it in my briefcase and once on the plane got it out. BOY! What a stink. Sweet, nice to a carper or other angler, but everyone else on the plane was commenting on it. The bag went back in the brief case, but the flavour had permeated through the bag and into the magazine cover.

I grew attached to that flavour and would have loved to have tried it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. The smell followed me for all three days of my visit and came back with me on my clothes. I smelt like a Brussels tart.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

CF is no doubt one of the better mags. But the mere thought of reading about somebody fishing in India in a monthly, where space is of a premium makes my blood run cold.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

What Baz and Nigel have just written is exactly an editor's dilemma: you can never please everybody.