Peregrine 4-piece Avon Rod

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Looks a nice rod, probably similar to the FM Concept in action.

I would have preferred a down locking reel seat as I don't like gripping screw threads in my hand.

T

Tony Rocca

I am taking one to Spain in May Ron, Rio Guadiana, I hope its up to it.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It's quite a bit stiffer than the Concept and I've caught both carp and pike to a little over 20lb on the Concept, so you shouldn't have any problem Tony - but keep it away from those 100lb - plus Ebro cats. You might have a problem there.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
A friend recently bought one of these rods and I gave it a waggle on the Royalty. Generally it seems quite well put together with a sensitive action and good quality cork handle, but there are a few niggles. Apart from the reel seat - like Ron (and Jim Gibbinson) I prefer downlocking on coarse/spinning rods, or better still simple sliding universal fittings, there is an issue with the rings.

There is a considerable step down between the topmost ring on the third section (from the butt) and the first on the tip - so much so that the line is forced to run at an angle. Apart from being unsightly this can only compromise performance.

My friend has since sourced a very similar pattern of ring that does come in the necessary size and will have the offending guide replaced. Why this type wasn't used in the first place is a mystery. One shouldn't have to replace fixtures and fittings on a new rod - particularly one with the Peregrine's price tag.

T

Tony Rocca

Not interested in the Ebro or those big slimey taddies Graham so no worries.

Sounds strange that Fred, I will check it out, Peregrine usually get things right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not a fan' of 'travel' rods as I've often stated here on FM.

That said, I read with interest Fred's note about the rings on this rod, and I agree fully that with that sort of price tag you might expect it to be pretty much perfect.

The thing I noticed from the photograph is that there were 10 rings in all which seem a little 'light' for an Avon Rod. Not having any of mine to hand to do a comparison count, can anyone tell me how many rings there are on a 'standard' 2 piece Avon Rod?

The other thing I wondered about is the need for the alignment dots on anything other than the bottom and the next section, after all, the rings are there as a pretty good aid to setting the rod up, so why the dots?

T

Tony Rocca

I am not a real fan either, but at ?25 quid return to Madrid I couldnt justify giving Easyjet another ?30 just for a rod tube, so Peregrine 4 piece it is.

A mkiv has 8 plus tip, so it seems ok at 10 being a foot longer.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Most MkIV's have eight including the tip. For an eleven foot Avon-type rod ten is about right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fred, and others.
As I work away from home I wasn't able to check my rods. It just 'looked' a little wrong to me, but then you can't tell too much from a picture though.

Tony, do these economy airlines charge extra for sports equipment? Seems a little OTT to me. most scheduled airlines make allowances for sporting equipment, mind you the rules seem to change almost every week these days.

T

Tony Rocca

It does change all the time, Rods were free on BA last October but I believe thats changed too now.

Rods on Easyjet were 15 quid each way, charges for golf clubs etc too, Its how they make their money I suppose.

Its going to cost me more to get to the airport than fly to Madrid.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
I use my harrison 4 peice avon all the time in summer ,i have had barbel to double figures on it no problem-it really is a decent rod,stows away in the boot and goes on top of my ruckie in a tube for a long walk

would recommend

Regards Matt