Building Carp rods....

L

Len Foster

Hi all, I'm new here so I'll say a big HELLO!!! to all and sundry :)

Righto! down to business...I'm thinking of building my own carp rods. I've been toying with this idea for a few weeks now and wanna look a bit deeper into the subject. Does anyone have any web-based links on the subjects? Also, where to source the materials?
I know it might be hard work, but I want to get a jist of things before deciding wether or not to build my own.

Thanks...Len

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Hello Len, FM throws out its welcome mat!

There's a thread here from a while back that has a little info on rod building:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=4&UTN=726&SP=&V=1#6122>Rod Building</A>

R

Ralph Abbott

General fishing forum
10th page

Thread titled 'Rod Blanks'

Good information

P

Paul Williams

Len,
good luck, it's very satisfing to build your own.....before some scumbag took my last rods 90% of them where home made.
Shops like Fosters of Brum, The Tackle box, darn sarf all sell the gear you will need.

S

Steve Parsons

Len,building your own rods is very time consuming.I used to build all my own rods,carp ,pike,beach,boat,i've done all of them.Now i simply do not think it's worth the effort.By the time you add up the cost of all the components you will wonder why you ever thought of it.
In addition to the time and expense you will be very hard pressed to match the build quality of the tackle trade.My advice would be to buy an off the peg set of rods unless you want something really special,if this is the case alot of the bigger tackle shops offer a custom rod building option on your choice of blank.If money is no object,try a custom rod buildereg www.julianshambrook.co.uk

L

Len Foster

Thanks for all the advice lads...I think I'll opt out for now :)
I'm off out today to buy myself a couple of Fox "Rangemasters" or Nash "Hooliguns"
That means I'll end up with something completely different!!!

Len.

R

Rob Brownfield

Steve, i see where u are comming from, but i will always build my own rods. There is nothing like catching that first fish on a rod that you have built..it just adds to the thrill.

Also, I can build the rod the way i want, use the rings i want, the spacings I want etc etc. Its true that companies like Daiwa do some cracking rods at a very good price...but, for example, i built my own Amourphous rods for ?150 instead of ?255..and I must say...my finish is better :)..hehe

S

sam oddy

Slightly off topic but can anyone tell me how difficult it would (and costly)to replace the reel fittings on two JW avons with screw locks. Decent rods for the money and I'm very fond of the oldest as it has accounted for quite a few pb's but the fittings are now really annoying me.

R

Rob Brownfield

Sam..have a chat with The TAckle Box, Sutton Hone, Kent. They offer this service in there catalogue..about ?15 for a basic re-fit I think. I can vouch for the quality of there work...hope this helps.