Best weather conditions for spinning ...

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
... for pike and perch - what are they?

I've been lead to believe overcast days are good for pike and perch fishing - is this for deadbaitign or with lures?

And that sunny days are no good for preditor fishing

greeny1321

Reaction score
I never feel confident if its bright and sunny, on lures or deads. If its overcast and a nice bit of wind blowing my confidence returns.

terry m

Reaction score
Agree with Greeny, a good dull overcast day is definitely best.

Drizzle is fine, heavy rain no so good.

On bright sunny days find something else to fish for unless you are fishing a very deep water.

bigsean

Reaction score
is heavily coloured water helpful on bright sunny days? i know clear water and overcast skies are better for lures, but i have had activity on sunny days when the water is coloured ... sooner have it overcast tho

barbelboi

Reaction score
IMO light intensity affects perch/pike feeding more than any other factor. Low light is far better as this is when their superior sight gives them most advantage over their prey. I remember reading that a certain well known angler caught perch at a depth of 40 feet in winter at Arlesey, when the best time was in the middle of a bright sunny day so obviously depth must also be taken into consideration as it was probably as dark down there as in the shallows at dusk.
Jerry

Will Barnard

Reaction score
We should really look at atmospheric pressure patterns here too.

I log everyone of my Perch captures over 2lb in order to make some sense of it all.

Interestingly over 60% of Perch I've taken over 3lb have come on the second or third day of high pressure and bright sunshine, these have all been on lure or livebait

No fish of any particular note have been caught on a day that has seen a pressure crash, lots of small ones mind but no bigger fish.

I only fish rivers for perch as a rule so can't offer any reports on stillwater captures.

As far as lures for conditions.
I find the following a useful guide.

A bright day with clear water, use as transparent a lure as possible (jellies or hard bodies)

mscustomlures

Reaction score
Everyday is a good day for lure fishing, sure as hell beats sitting holding a pole in an overstocked puddle lol

Dull and overcast

DSC_0232-1.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC00287-1.jpg

Bright sunshine

52f67b70-452b-4f05-a5a9-9bd15ef127a.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg
baf1ccf7-774a-4cbb-952c-9380df94489a.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

b0456286-9fa5-4cd1-a616-247f11a08d23.jpg

Sorry for the flood of pictures just wanted to illustrate theres no hard and fast rule

gazguildford

Reaction score
pike and perch have big eyes being predators so im sure bright sunlifht does effect them thats not to say you wont catch but i feel you have less of a chance but then i think its more important to match your lures to the weather conditions. The best time for lures in my opinion is summer evenings but thats because i enjoy it more warm weather and summer pike are great fun the only down side is the recovery time but that just means i can admire the fish for longer lol. As for preasure i have never understood all that maybe someone can explain what i should be looking for and how to find out what the preasure is?

greeny1321

Reaction score
Even though I prefer dull contitions I should mention that my biggest two pike have come on bright sunny days, the biggest on a lure was taken at 8:30(ish) in the morning just before it got too bright. The second biggest was taken in about 5 feet of clear water just after dinnertime on a bright sunny afternoon on a deadbait, so it is only a guide, obviously other factors are at play!

ghilliejohn

Reaction score
Overcast days are probably the norm for success though there is always the exception to the rule...
I am a great believer in the use of bright shiny lures on sunny days and dull coloured lures on heavily overcast days..
The reasoning behind this being thus..
Bright lures reflect light just as the natural sunlight does when baitfish turn against the sun giving their prescence and location away.
Dull lures on the other hand fished under overcast conditions absorb any available light and this in turn strengthens their silhouette and visibility.
Another factor to take into account ..fish do not like harsh sunlight boring into their eyes and will move location to areas of shade,returning to their original lyes as the heat of the day drops and the light softens late afternoon.

John

mscustomlures

Reaction score
second picture down bit silly mate leaving big lure near the pikes eye :(

I hadn't unhooked the fish, the bottom double hook was still in the fish so there was no way it could get the big single in its eye, it was landed on the mat quick shot unhooked and released nice and quick so it came to no harm whatsoever.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Decided to have my first pike session of the season. Five to 19lb.2oz on wobbled dead bait, R. Colne (Not the Yorkshire one Fred;)) all caught between 8-11.30am in gloomy overcast conditions, not a touch from then on with wall to wall sunshine so packed up at 2pm.
Jerry
barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2951-pike-19-14-crop-2.jpg

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I tried the Chesterfield canal again on Sunday, overcast day, spent about 3 hours and walked about 6 miles there and back - had one take but it didn't hook,

In the last swim I fished, a turning circle that looked good for pike I cat out and as the lure landed it must have hit or just missed a pike, my lure hot the water and a fish crashed out.

On the way back I stood talking to two angler who were catching roach, they were getting follows from pike when bringing the fish in.
One said that there was a pike of about 6lb right next to his keepnet - with his permission I cast the lure round the pike - it didn't even move.

I'll be taking a dead bait with me next time

greeny1321

Reaction score
I tried the Chesterfield canal again on Sunday, overcast day, spent about 3 hours and walked about 6 miles there and back - had one take but it didn't hook,

In the last swim I fished, a turning circle that looked good for pike I cat out and as the lure landed it must have hit or just missed a pike, my lure hot the water and a fish crashed out.

On the way back I stood talking to two angler who were catching roach, they were getting follows from pike when bringing the fish in.
One said that there was a pike of about 6lb right next to his keepnet - with his permission I cast the lure round the pike - it didn't even move.

I'll be taking a dead bait with me next time

I have seen pike sitting in the margin on clear canals and if they aint in the mood they will ignore your lure completely, makes you wonder how many pike you cant see are ignoring your lures.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've had pike come up to within inches of my feet and have dropped anything to hand in front of their snouts without any sort of reaction. When they're up for it they'll have a go at almost anything, especially when you're trying to avoid them.
Jerry

aaronlee

Reaction score
I will fish any weather fishing with lures, if I had preference then would say dull light conditions, but have caught in all conditions I find the deeper the venue the harder it is on sunny days as the fish in my local water follow the roach up in the water column but knowing this I can fish the right kind of lures for them, but always also fish natural coloured lures and lures that give off a flash in the water, spoons and spinner baits are idea for bright weather and seem to be a bit off a banker on these days. Venue and water depth play a part, as does choice of lure colours as the previous post mentioned as a rule of thumb natural, flash lures on bright days and hi vis on dull or dirty/stained water conditions. But don't take this as literal as there are day when something completely different works. Different venues will fish better than others in different conditions.

http://www.lurepro.co.uk[/ur]

Last edited: