Okuma Airframe fly Reel

E

Evan

I would agree with the exceptional 10/10 rating.

The Aiframe works perfectly, is virtually indestructible in normal use and abuse. True free wind in / incredibly effective smooth and powerful drag with no snatch and easily adjustable during play with large idiot-proof fiddle-faddle free star wheel on the back. Spare spools etc readily available.

Not only all that but cheaper than the proverbial.

Brilliant.

P

paul williams 2

Have to agree....cheap, ultra efficent and the spare spools are easy to change.....

C

Cakey

is it tough or is it flexible if you know what I mean................beings its plastic

P

paul williams 2

Cakey....it's tough, it really is a no nonsense bit of fishing kit.

P

paul williams 2

The best mate....your line lays nice on it, it's light and there are no gizzmos.

Do you know where to get superb fly lines from at good prices? if not PM me.

E

Evan

Tough Cakey, quite capable of being dropped down a dam wall and being recovered in one working piece at the bottom 99% of the time - try doing that with any expensive piece of magnesium or machined aluminium artistry..... :-(

You've seen me fish, so you understand the secondary definition of clumsy in the OED ("Cl-Um-Zee" - '2. like or appertaining to the incoherent actions of a short fat welshman on a river bank....') and if I can't break them, let alone even scratch them in the last ten or twelve years of use then no-one can.

Not saying they're indestructible, drop one in front of a road roller and it's your own look out, but virtually so in normal fishing use. And they're reasonably light, no real weight penalty there, and if you do decide (tackle t***) to go for something ludicrously expensive later on when the fly fishing bug has really stuck you then they make ideal give-aways to nephews and other beginners....

E

Evan

PPS. don't confuse the Airframe with its predecessor the Airstream.

Identical, except that the Airstream has a central screw that needs to be unscrewed and removed and replaced in order to change spools. Guess how many of those screws have been dropped in the bottom of how many lakes by how many swearing fishermen....

Followed by the swift withdrawl of the Airstream from the market and its prompt replacement with the Airframe, which has a simple and foolproof lever disengage on the spool in place of the screw.

Airstreams come up on Egay etc. on and off at ridiculously low prices, but don't bother, not unless you fancy a lifetime of scrabbling about in the wet filfthy bilges of a small swaying boat in the middle of nowhere trying to pick up a screw.... :-(

M

MarkTheSpark

Airstreams come up on Egay etc. on and off at ridiculously low prices

New auction site for the uphill gardener, I presume....