Daft things people have said...

T

Tony O'dell

We have all been on the bank when a fellow angler has come over and said something absolutely daft to us relating to the water you are fishing, or the way you are fishing. A couple stick in my mind...i was fishing slider float on a hard fished tench lake..bites were very finicky in the deep water on feeder/leger, but quite hittable on a slider float in the deep water. On one particularily sucessful day, the baliff came over to see how we were fishing..only to inform us " slider float does his head in ?!"..and he walked off in disgust.
On another occasion we were fishing a point peg on a day ticket lake. We had spent about 1 hours plumbing the peg up at first light, and we had found the peg to be consistent in depth gradually slopping to 6ft deep..and staying at that depth. The point swim had been put in by the owner, so was not a natural feature from when the gravel pit was dug. At about 9am two locals turned up..informed us we needed to be fishing on the gravel bar which led out form the point, and that it was about 600 metres long!!!. I am sure they believed what they had told us..chinese whispers perhaps....

M

Mike Fidler

Me Rik and Coops were having this very conversation last night in the rubber Dub. Walking round the lake before you wet a line you stand chatting with a local for ten minutes who advises you that the peg over there is the best on the lake ( it's empty and he's not in it) or the fishing here is crap but there's a better lake a mile down the road. At which point you generally depart not wishing to inform the said local what a twat he is.......

M

Malcolm Bason

You know Mike - that's one serious fish you have there! ;o)

W

Wendy Perry

i have been told by a few anglers that the reason i do so well is that the fish like the smell of a woman (don't go there Paul williams) and then yesterday i watched Jack Charlton on sky and it was a full programme about lady's fishing and this woman got the lure rubbed it in her hands and cast out within minutes she had caught a fish they say it's something to do with a woman's hormones..... i dunno if this is true but i reckon you still have to be a good angler

M

Mike Fidler

Wendy, i think it only applies to Salmon fishing, did you know that the record uk salmon was caught by a lady angler in the 1920's? After her Ghillie had cast her rod for her of course and then hooked it, played it and landed it for her!

W

Wendy Perry

Well i haven't caught a Salmon yet so i guess i must be a good angler then LOL ;)

P

Paul Williams

OK Wendy my lips are sealed......on condition you give my lure a rub! ;)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Wendy said: "I have been told by a few anglers that the reason I do so well is that the fish like the smell of a woman."

Scientists reckon that pheromones are responsible for women generally catching more than men in some fishing situations, because fish are attracted to the smell.

Human beings, like many species of insects, fish and other animals, emit and respond to airborne and waterborne chemical signals called pheromones.

Also of interest is that pheromones have been shown to play a major part in the lives of primates, and the observation that human sweat takes on an odor only at puberty suggests that pheromones may also have once affected the behavior of humans. The existence of human pheromones was also suggested by a 1998 experiment intended to explain why women who live together tend to have synchronized menstrual cycles?that is, to experience the various stages of this cycle at the same time. The results of the experiment suggest that women?s sweat carries an odor that may, under certain circumstances, act as a pheromone, affecting the timing of ovulation and menstruation among other women.

Ultrabite is supposed to be based on this type of sexual attraction.

So now you know!

F

Fred Bonney

Well I'll be bu*****d,it must have the opposite affect on us blokes 'cos when I was younger(and the wife)this was the time to go fishing and I still blanked!!!!.

M

Martin Wright

So Graham, are you saying that sweaty people catch more fish.

I

Ian Whittaker

Female pheronomes definitely attract fish,
some species more than others."Clean" people are often covered in soap/deodorant/aftershave etc.which I find to be a hinderance to catching fish.As is the trace of petrol.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm saying that sexy people catch more fish, the sweat is only the carrier.......

D

Dave Johnson

and sometimes you have to poke your rod right into the bush......

anyone fancy a stella?

M

Martin Wright

So sexy people catch more fish.

That explains why since I had the snip I've had so many blanks!

P

Philip Heaton

Rod Stewart is a crap fisherman, when I was younger I preferred to sniff around women than fish, but now the smell of an old kipper box dos'nt have the same appeal. My mate 'Owd Al' has started using ultrabite to see if it works, no more fish but he smells sexy, a certain bailiff thinks so anyway

C

Chris Bishop

I was fishing the Ouse with a mate the other week. We were just getting all the junk loaded in the boat when these two blokes came up the bank clutching cans of Stella.

"I know you," one of them said. "You're Gord Burton, aren't you....."

A

Alan Fawcett

My missis asked big Rik if he was a builder!!

This was about 30 seconds after Rik had told me how he was sick of people asking him the same question :eek:)

(oh BTW Rik what she never told you was the fact she'd been stood there earwigging on us & thats why she asked you) :eek:p