Fishing clubs in Sheffield

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining a fishing club next season, can only one recommend any in Sheffield and what waters they controll- idelly south of Sheffield?

Tally HO

Reaction score
M'Lord

I am appalled that the bourgeoisie of South Yorkshire have failed to award you the club presidency and life membership of every fishing club within 20 miles of Sheffield. I would suggest that the good burghers of the Doncaster Anglers may be more responsive.

Posh

Lord Paul

Reaction score
So no one knows of any - or if they do they're keeping them to themselves -

Tally Ho

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I thought you OWNED all the waters around Sheffield ....

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Sadly not Ed

At one time yes all the water and fishing rights to it was owned by the Earl of Sheffield - but partly due to the high cost of effectively bailiffing this vast a amount of water most of it was sold of in the 1920.

But the main reason for selling the rights to the rivers and lakes round Sheffield was to finance the gambling addiction of the 9th Earl of Sheffield Lord Paul "The bookie friend" of Sheffield (An ancient family law states the all Earl of Sheffield are called Paul).
He was a member of the elite "Tuesday club" who all rode down to Bournemouth every Tuesday on motor bikes to gamble in the back room of Freddy Merckins pie shop.

Freddy was eventuality raided and Lord Paul only evaded prosecution by hiding in an empty cheesy wotsits box.

Sadly all the water I have left to fish is the estate lake at Furkum Hall.

Tally Ho

capbrown

Reaction score
there isnt any good fishing in sheffield.anyone who tries to make a fishery,gets chocked with silly rules like no matches,sheffield council dont like anyone making a few bob.anyone who knows sheffield knows apart from aston ponds ,doncaster is the best bet with loads of good fishing......

Beecy

Reaction score
What type of fishing are you after Paul ?

If good old fashioned roach & bream fishing is up your alley then I can recomend here, maybe a bit out of your area, and not realy a club but its a cracking place. Its ?45 for the season (mid May to end Feb). Ive had a permit for quite a few years now and definately get my moneys worth as its only 10 minutes down the road for me.

Again, not quite the area you are after but the barnsley book is worth having, worsborough res, trent at fiskerton plus a few other little lakes/pomds and a bit of canal

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thanks Beecy

I was hoping to find a club that had a few stretchews of river round Sheffield, I've fished the Rother close to my house - Mosborough - a few times and can't even get a bite - my be it'ds me :)

Tally Ho

Beecy

Reaction score
have you tried the Rother at catcliffe ?

abouit ?12/15 for the season, the club is Treaton & Catcliffe anglers (or summat like that)

never fished it myself but John Ledger was often telling me it was worth joining.

theres not that much else in sheffield area river wise, loads of the Don is free fishing but access is crap

if its river fishing you are after what about the Idle ? only about 15 minutes drive from J32 M1

SherlockofSheff

Reaction score
I can let you have membership of one of the most productive, picturesque and exclusive trout beats outside Scotland, and the good news is that it's only ?2,000 per week, which should be no problem for a Lord. Even better it comes with a guide (me). I am of course talking about the river Don. The water also contains lots of nuisance grayling, chub, big roach and perch, and tons of dace. By the way if anyone tells you it's free fishing, they are clearly ex-middlewood patients and suffering delusions caused through living in the community.

Cash only, no cheques

Sherlock

I

Ian Cloke

The stretch of the Rother at Catcliffe costs ?10 a season, some great fishing to be had there, also Treeton Dyke is only ?10 a season, it holds some of the best tench & bream in the area ;-)

If you want to know any more about the waters, just send me an email M'Lord :))

John Wesley

Reaction score
I fish the river Don in sheffield nearly every week Paul, like Beecy says access is crap but travel light. No joking this is proper fishing, do some leg work this closed season it pays off.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Kiveton hall

Loxely fisheries

Pebbley resevoir

Dam Flask

Ulley

The Rother

The Don

Ecclesfield pond

Straight mile

Horseshoe fisheries

South Yorkshire navigation

The sheaf

Underbank

Hillsborough park

No fishing in sheffield.....?

And that is in about a minute

captain carrott

Reaction score
go in your local tackle shop ask em what books they do and what waters are covered by each book.

I

Ian Cloke

Lee, there has been a spate of 20lb+ pike, coming out of Treeton Dyke mate, let me know if you want to go down ;-) Some very decent tench as well, I caught one over 6lb earlier this week:))