Barrie Rickards? Angling ? Barrie Abroad

David West 2

Reaction score
It's certainly a hard life as Barrie apologetically concedes. Some people have all the luck!

I just wanted to comment on his first fish, the Black Trevally. These have to be the most wide ranging of the Jack species - the world record for Caranx lugubris, or Black Jack as it's often referred to, is a near 40 pounder and comes from the Pacific coast of Mexico.

But as well as Central America I've also caught them of Ascension Island, 500 miles south of the Equator, and virtually equidistant from Northern Brazil and Angola. There they're present in 'plague' proportions! They'll take anything poppers, flies and I even had then take Squid deadbaits we've been slow trolling at night for Swordfish.

Despite my disparaging comments though, whilst easy to hook, they are like all Jacks strong fighters.

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
Still getting wound up by the BBC then Barrie, why? They're only journalists when all said and done and there is plenty of sloppy journalism about in Angling too. EMAP for instance, who have had an on and off monopoly over sea anglers via Sea Angler magazine, refuse to be drawn into the illegal netting issue that's been going on in Yorks for years now despite letters from concerned anglers. Turns out that it's not simply a case of being gutless or unconcerned but they derive a lot of advertising revenue from the boating fraternity who are pro-netting. Any good that?

As for the BBC not having heard of the ACA, who outside of angling has? For an organisation of its size and standing they need a good kick up the backside rather than uncritical tub-thumping. It would be nice to hear that they had at least tried to get in shot the next time there is media focus on a major pollution.

As for prosecuting polluters Barrie, they've barely done any of that for 20 years, since the NRA formed. They might be able to tackle a few low level discolouration issues themselves but when it comes to major fish kills, where many samples, a proper investigation, witness statements, case-files etc... are required they've never been able to cope with this so are dependent on the EA for prosecutions.

You must know that what the ACA really do is negotiate 'settlements' for their members, which is a civil not a criminal matter. Their philosophy is to avoid court cases if at all possible and rightly so too. If they can settle out of court without being involved in expensive court actions that is wise use of members subscriptions. Have a look through your past ACA Legal Reviews and ask yourself if they are really doing as much as they could? Sure, they often have to wait for the EA to sort prosecutions out before they can move, but in the meantime there is lots of pro-active work they could be doing and I don't mean poncing around game-fairs!

While the ACA and anglers have certainly played a major role in improving our rivers, don't run away with the idea that we've done it on our own. The BBC are right to a degree, given the amount of anglers genuinely prepared to be involved in conservation issues vs. the numbers that claim to fish (3.8 million?!).

Generally, it' a case of the 'usual suspects' I'm afraid, RSPB, Wildlife Trusts, Local Interests and us. The campaign to stop the extension of navigable river on the Yorks Derwent is a good example of when we actually pulled together to the overall good.

I think it's time to drop the Professor bit Barrie an honorary recognition of your contribution to Palaeontology is hardly of much relevance to fishing matters don't you think. Plain old Barrie is much friendlier and given the number of people now calling themselves 'Prof' on fishing web-sites I suspect people are taking the Mickey out of you?

JACK

P.s. Pure Rivers Society - achievements to date?

Posted by Prof Tench

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Again, instead of just sticking to the point, which Prof Tench, Dr Chub Chub, Dr Chub and Jack Snapper (see this thread) does in 9/10 of his post, he has to soil it with personal invective.

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
Sorry Graham but there are quite a few of us who feel that Barrie uses his academic standing to bully other writers over a few of his more entrenched views.

Witness the debate between the then 'Doc' and Dave Tipping over barbless hooks in the now defunct 'Coarse Angler'. Dave is a Taxi driver and a very quiet and unassuming lad who has written about his angling for over 20 tears. Where cyprinids are concerned the case for barbless, put by Dave is a 'no brainer' as the modern saying goes and Barrie is wrong on this one and I suspect he knows it. He stll tries on occasion to make the case for the retention of barbs but apart from pike falling off, I'm not persuaded and neither are any of the anglers I know.

Hardly invective then Graham? Constructive criticism I would have said and I'm sure Barrie can take it so, perhaps you would like to leave him to speak for himself?

JACK

Posted by Prof Tench

Prof Redfin

Reaction score
Does Snapper believe that Barrie is a bully? Bit rich coming from a Pike! Perhaps you mean that some anglers who might otherwise respond to the issues he makes are put off doing so by his academic standing, forthright and at times combative writing style, Snapper?

If so, you should know, Jacks are masters of intimidation in my experience!

Redfin

Bogsbury Publications - An 'After the Pub' production made in association with 'Big Biftas'.

Posted by Prof Tench