What is fair angling?

T

The Monk

What is angling and what is trapping, a debate which has been going on since the introduction of the clockwork bite alarm and certainly one which was strenghten with the introduction of the bolt rig. The debate was further amplified with the mass production of bait boats and fish finders.

In the past we`ve had automatic bite strikers and a number of other gadgets aimed at taking the sport out of the skills required to catch fish.

So what does the furture hold, underwater cameras on terminal tackle, electronic fish tagging with computer feedback information, weight of fish, preferred bait, location, is it about to feed, or possibly even a stun boilie, as soon as a fish comes within range of the bait, ZAP?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A very good thread subject mate, but before I comment, let's hear what others think.

T

The Monk

I expect there was much horror when the first clockwork alarm materialised, I know there certainly was when the first bolt rig appeared in this country,

haha, you have a lot to answer for Mr Clay

T

Terry Comerford

Strangely I've always thought that at some time in the future when angling is no more, the sport would be developed into an arcade type of experience, located in 'Anglerdromes' with anglers strapped into shark fishing seats holding onto huge sea type rods and reels, battling against computer generated beasts of all kinds on a screen.
Hey, better than nothing at all!

T

The Monk

well, probably not far from the truth terry, you can get those screen things what fit over yoyur head now, virtual reality or something and apparently they do an agling one, presumably you can just tap into a record carp

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I am not sure I could seperate Angling and Trapping-in my mind they are one and the same, a form of hunting. It is just a sense of ethics that divides it.

The only difference I can think of is that 'trappers' use what might be considered crude methods to catch their quarry whereas Anglers, in the truest sense of the word, might prefer methods more gentlemanly, which give the fish a sporting chance of escaping.

I guess that is where the misnomer arose about "coarse angling" as opposed to other forms of angling.

The angler who skillfully attempts to convince his quarry that a cluster of coloured feathers actually mimic a natural fly, would have undoubtedly poured scorn upon the crude trapping methods employed by those commoners after perch, chub, roach and bream. People who used live baits like worms, and threw mashed bread in to attract the fish.

These days anglers still employ comparitively crude methods to catch fish. Witness the optonic, bait boat, bolt rig, floating pole, rattler, the Middy Shock stick, even the plastic pig.

What would Messrs Walton, Sheringham and BB have said about such unethical methods?

These days however we have no shame. Any bait or method is fair game as long as it delivers results, because in 2007 only size and quantity matter, not how you achieve it.

C

Coops

Any means of hooking the fish once it has picked up the bait is fair to me, be it a strike on a freelined bait or a self-hooking bolt rig. An alarm to say a fish has picked up the bait is also fair.

The skill in 'angling' is luring a fish to the bait in the first place and convincing the fish to pick it up. Watercraft, sight and stealth should be the only tools that should be used to place a bait. Any technology used to short cut fish location is cheating in my opinion. Otherwise you may as well go trawling with an echosounder.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Very good post Peter, now come on you lot, let's have more of your comments.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And another very interesting post Coops.

Keep 'em coming!

T

The Monk

On the subject of watercraft, I suppose the modern angler would think we are talking about a baitboat witha fish finder on board?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What is fair angling?
A lake which is not overstocked so that the fish are fighting for, or are dependent on anglers baits. Also with a good ecological ballance.
This is where I would start before looking any further.

T

The Monk

Yes ethics, a fair point, some carp anglers who may fish with 4 rods buzzers and fishfinders consider it unethical to place a bait in the desired spot by boat as opposed to casting it out, others consuder long stay carp anglers are unethical, Jim Gibbinsons famous quote was, "In no other sport does time substitue skill", very true of course. However having spent quite a few years as a time bandit, I do consider you still require a certain amount of skill to put big fish (consistantly) on the bank. You can still enjoy a bit of camping and nature watching along the way if you have the time to spare.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
My 'Carp fishing' days Monk were more of a camping, cooking, sleeping, brewing and reading experience. Fish never came into it!

Angling ethics of course, is a huge question. What is a legitimate tactic to one is abhorant to another.

At the end of the day we must all fish in manner in which we get most personal satisfaction, just as long as it respects the fish, the envirnoment, and our fellow anglers right to peace and quiet.

T

The Monk

What is fair angling?
A lake which is not overstocked so that the fish are fighting for, or are dependent on anglers baits. Also with a good ecological ballance.
This is where I would start before looking any further.

Now thats an interesting point Baz, waht is a good ecological balance, i presume you are talking about a natural ecological balance here mate and not a club induced preferencial one, ie you have a lake which will support 20 x 20 lb carp only or 10,000 silver fish only, you never get naturally ecologically balnced lakes which have been stocked, these are created from mans intervention and thus not natural although they may be ecologically balanced, but not in natural propotion

T

The Monk

My 'Carp fishing' days Monk were more of a camping, cooking, sleeping, brewing and reading experience. Fish never came into it!

mine were similar to yours Peter but carp certainly did come into it for me.

At the end of the day we must all fish in manner in which we get most personal satisfaction, just as long as it respects the fish, the envirnoment, and our fellow anglers right to peace and quiet.

yes very true and by the same rule of course we must respect those who choose to fish differently as long as they meet the above criteria

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

i relay dont think electronics are the way to go myself , I prefer to walk the bank and work out for myself where the fish are and then pit my skill against the fish i think personally thats what fishings all about. I have no probs with others useing cams and stuff as long s they are alone while fishing and not in a match or anything that would be very unfair ,or even carp fishers sitting out for days its there time not mine each to his own . But i,ll stick to the old fashioned way thanks i get more pleasure from truly outwitting a fish on my own merrits .By the way its my birthday too today tight lines all

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Don't forget though, that when we talk of carpers doing a long stay, it is usually on a large water of say 100 acres or there abouts. On one water that I fish, I have come to the conclusion that to give myself a fair chance of catching, it would need a 48 hour sesion.

Many is the time that the fish don't even come anywhere near your bait until after the first day/night. It's either that or pre-baiting a swim. And I can't see any difference between pre-baiting and doing a 48 hour session, especially when the magority of fish don't feed during the daytime.