What The Hell has happened to fishing in the last 30 years!!!

jailhouse john

Reaction score
Hi

I am In the process of buying a new house with 50m frontage on the Yorkshire Ouse north of York so I thought I might have a bash at it again, having not done so since the late 70's when I did some carp fishing in Holland.

It has all changed!!!

I need a translator to understand what everything means!!!

Help!!

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

It's still as simple as it always was, if you want it to be.

Fish still eat bread, worms and maggots, they still pull floats under and bend quiver tips!

Better still, many of the rivers are virtually empty as many anglers prefer commercials.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
On the face of it everything has changed. Scratch the surface and you'll find the fundamentals are just the same.

maceo

Reaction score
How I would love a house like that with its own river fishing at the end of the garden!

I think I'd only ever go out for bait.

jailhouse john

Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Have you got good flood insurance?

Thanks for the welcome. Fortunately the house (built in 1827) has never flooded as it is some 60 yards from the river and about 50 feet above it. However the lower garden does flood every year - but thats rivers and providing you allow for it then it should not be an inconvenience. It has a mooring, a jetty and full riperian rights so setting up for fishing should be relatively simple and I am looking forward to getting to know 'my stretch'. Leeds AA have the opposite bank and their website implies that the river has some good barbel and bream. Never been for barbel before so I will have to do some homework.

I suspect that fishing will be like riding a bike in that you never forget how to do it but my problem stems from the jargon used to day especially in selecting gear. I will relying on this site to help me out when I start to get round to it.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Any chance of a "fish-in" in your garden?
Should be just right, fishing shoulder to shoulder. We've done them before -

files.php

Last edited:

manjo39

Reaction score
You jammy b---er, its the same as its always been ,pure enjoyment catch or not, sun or not, cormorants ah well, just enjoy your fishing the surroundings are a bonus:D

paul80

Reaction score
One of the biggest changes in angling of the last 30 odd years has got to be what the new anglers fish for.

It used to be that you started on Roach, Rudd and Perch, then progressed to bream and Tench, then and only then where you good enough for Carp.

Nowdays every one starts as a Carp angler and every other species is forgotten about.

Most Angling shops are now 99% Carp shops, there is even one near me that dosen't sell a single float.

The trouble with this is that new anglers find they are not able to catch carp as good as they do on the telly and soon drift off in other directions.

I wonder how many young anglers starting today wiill still be fishing in 30 to 40 years time, sadly I suspect not a lot.

Paul

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose if you have a river at the bottom of the garden you can, theorically, upstream ledger two neighbouring gardens and similarly two gardens downstream (should the fish not be in your own stretch) thereby covering a fair amount of water BUT I don't know if this is not fishing just a little too close to home.................It has some major advantages though!

I think you can begin again without worrying about the intervening years. Thread your line through the rod rings, slide on a float, add the shot and hook, and everything will feel just the same. You're fishing again and thats what matters!!

Good luck with the new home and enjoy sitting watching your float.......................I'm green wtih envy and thats a fact!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Got to agree with Bluenose.
Fishing (for a few of us) is still a simple thing, us against a wild animal in the countryside.Catch or not is not the point.

99.9% of the "talk" is made to confuse to either make the talker sound knowledgeble or make out that it's the stuff you need to catch.
As Bluenose says, a worm will still catch anything that swims, a simple float set up still catches, and those who don't crash around on the bank still catch the most.

jailhouse john

Reaction score
I suppose if you have a river at the bottom of the garden you can, theorically, upstream ledger two neighbouring gardens and similarly two gardens downstream (should the fish not be in your own stretch) thereby covering a fair amount of water BUT I don't know if this is not fishing just a little too close to home.................It has some major advantages though!

I think you can begin again without worrying about the intervening years. Thread your line through the rod rings, slide on a float, add the shot and hook, and everything will feel just the same. You're fishing again and thats what matters!!
Good luck with the new home and enjoy sitting watching your float.......................I'm green wtih envy and thats a fact!

But is it that simple in reality. Nobody likes to look a D****head and 'jargon' scares people away. Let me provide a few example of what I mean.

1. What the hell is a 'feeder rod'? In 1978 when I last fished there were match rods, fly rods, spinning rods and carp/pike rods and that was basically it. I can still just about spot 'match rod' amongst the proliferation that has taken place subsequently but greenheart is no longer with us.

2. What is a 'waggler'?

3. Some fishing shops don't appear to stock floats anymore. At lest not ones I can recognise. Would they know what I was talikng about if I asked to see there collection of quills?.

4. I do not wish to offend the 'right on' anglers so are barbless hooks the norm now?

5. Are fixed spool reels the norm now? - it appears so. In the 60's and 70's I had both centre pin and fixed spool reels. Buying a reel now requires a degree in mechanical engineering to understand the specs.

6. Baits could be a degree course on their own. I fished using maggots, worm, cheese and bread and that was it. Would I be laughed of the bank if I only had these in 2011?

barbelboi

Reaction score
A feeder rod is basically a quivertip
The waggler is one of the oldest methods ever used in angling. The waggler float itself consists of a bottom end only float, where the float is usually locked onto the line with shot or stops.
You can still buy quill floats from ebay and other outlets. Drennan, amongst others, now make a large varied assortment of floats that should bear some resemblance to what you're used to.
Barbless hooks are required by many fisheries, although some, such as CEMEX insist on barbed.
Fixed spools are admittedly more popular than pins but it is personal choice and method of fishing usually determines which tool for the job – there are quite a few ongoing threads in respect of choosing f/s reels.
The baits that you suggest are all proven and successful, anyone that laughs would be a complete pr@tt and not worth bothering with.
Hope this helps
Jerry
PS Don't forget the other oldies, caster and hemp.

Last edited:

jailhouse john

Reaction score
A feeder rod is basically a quivertip
The waggler is one of the oldest methods ever used in angling. The waggler float itself consists of a bottom end only float, where the float is usually locked onto the line with shot or stops.
You can still buy quill floats from ebay and other outlets. Drennan, amongst others, now make a large varied assortment of floats that should bear some resemblance to what you're used to.
Barbless hooks are required by many fisheries, although some, such as CEMEX insist on barbed.
Fixed spools are admittedly more popular than pins but it is personal choice and method of fishing usually determines which tool for the job – there are quite a few ongoing threads in respect of choosing f/s reels.
The baits that you suggest are all proven and successful, anyone that laughs would be a complete pr@tt and not worth bothering with.
Hope this helps
Jerry

PS Don't forget the other oldies, caster and hemp.

Thanks for that Jerry.
I must admit that the term 'waggler' was one that had past me by previously although I had seen the technique used often enough.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Answers

1 Any rod with quiver tips in different strengths to cast out a maggot or groundbait feeder -

1862mach1qui.jpg

You don't want a long one if you're not casting very far, 9-11ft is adequate, but consider also strength based on the size of fish you're going to encounter. Feeders hold a certain amount of food to attract the fish and are attached to the mainline just above the hooklength, usually sliding along the line too. Drennan make some of the best, IMO.

2 A float that is attached at the bottom end only and is fixed in place on the line by split shot either side.

drennan_carp_crystals.jpg

These can be loaded already (as above) with some weight or come without any weight relying on the shot the angler attaches. Made for fishing stillwaters and very slow deepish rivers. ABove are called Carp Crystals, but they will take other fish as well and Crystals is Drennan's name for a clear plastic float. They also do Peacock quills in roughly the same pattern.

3 Depends on how old the shopkeeper is, ask for peacock quills, that might help, but porcupine, crow and goose are hardly ever heard of. Search Ebay for some of those.

4 It's your back garden, your fishery, use barbless or barbed, whatever pleases you. Barbless are easier to get out of your thumb. :(

5 Fixed Spools are the norm in most cases, but there is a community that loves the old centrepins still. Buy a good one, recognised make like Daiwa or Shimano, that's all.

6 nothing wrong with them and who's going to laugh unless they've crashed into your back garden? Bread flake is still a cracking bait for winter chub, maggots for roach, dace and perch, worms for perch deffo. Think about sweetcorn also or small pieces of luncheon meat.

Just go for it. Forget anyone else and read mags and these pages. Keep asking questions, members here will be pleased to help.

Oh Boo-hoo, Jerry beat me to it, but I found soem illustrations.... :D

Last edited: