Shotting a waggler

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone know where they do a table for weights? Eg one no4 is like using 3 no 8's etc.

I used to have one in my tackle box but it's disappeared, and i found it very useful when i was shotting a waggler. I get very confused with shotting and it seems to take me ages to set up.

T

Terry D

As far as I recall, they just double up on size ie 2 x BB = 1 x AAA or 2 x No 8s = 1 x No 6 and so on. Very easy to work out that way.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Wendy, copy this out and it should be a good guide.

1 SSG = 2AAA (SSG=Swan shot)
1 AAA = 2BB
1 BB = 2No 4
1 No1 = 3 No6
1 No3 = 2 No6
1 No 4 =3 No9
1 No 6 =2 No10
1 No 8 = 2 No12.

Hope this helps,

R

Rodney Wrestt

Here's the weight of each shot, some floats give a loading weight instead of the amount of shot to use.

SSG = 1.6g
AAA = 0.81g
BB = 0.4g
No1 = 0.28g
No4 = 0.20g
No6 = 0.10g
No8 = 0.06g
No9 = 0.05g
No10= 0.04g
No12= 0.025g

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Wendy the easy way is 4bb equals one lazy ssg midway between float and hook.Its not the best way but a dammed sight quicker.

S

Shrek

Also, remember that two thirds of the weight of the float goes round the base of the float and the rest is set down the line, depending on how you want it to fall through the water.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
cheers guys, I've never really understood the shotting thing! Yesterday i went fishing and used a waggler, i got so frustrated with the shotting part though.

Steaker, yes i'd like the offside rule :)

Wodders cheers for that that's what i needed the weight for each shot!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The weight of the shot is not all that important Wendy for one very good reason, a waggler might state that it is a 2AA waggler or whatever but in my experience they are very rarely accurate. I always guess the bulk then drop this in the pool or river to see what other shot it requires before putting on the droppers and these always consist of no. 8's so I can move them about as necessary.

You can of course paint on the actual weight it requires if you find it helps.

M

MarkTheSpark

Here's the weight of each shot, some floats give a loading weight instead of the amount of shot to use.

Just to really confuse dear Wendy, I should point out that the weight of the shot might not be very helpful either, since its ability or otherwise to cock the float depends also on its density - to use an extreme example of what I mean, a 4gm bit of pine won't cock anything.

And what Graham says is right - the guide on the side of the float is no more than that. If you want to save yourself some bother Wend, get a big bottle full of water, loop a bit of nylon through the float's eye, and start clipping shots on to the loop to get it to ride about right in the bottle.

Then you already have most of the shotting sorted, and just add the shots and make final adjustments on the bank.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
There ya go Wendy just incase you had any crazy ideas of trying to cock your floats with bits of pine instead of weights now you'll not make that mistake :0P lol

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

my local shop doe,s wagler clip on,s there like a t piece wich you put on the line with two rubbers on the centre one you have a piece of braid to wicth you add the shot this is tied to the float .so you can preshot your waglers in your pond at home in a bottle as already mentioned then just clip them on at the bank .they come in packs of 3 so you can shot up 3 dif waglers and then interchange them if needed simply by sliding the rubbers off and changing over. hope this helps

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Alternatively, forget all that complicated rubbish; just put the bottom of the float through a half-inch bit of silicone tubing threaded up the line and pinch on enough SSG's a foot or so from the hook to enable you to cast comfortably to where you reckon the fish are. Drop the shotted float in the water and cut bits off the tip until about half an inch shows. Then slide the float up the line about 25% further than the depth of water, bait your hook, cast out and tighten the line gently to the shot lying on the bottom until the float cocks nicely. Then just sit back and wait for a biggy...

B

fancy telling a girl to cut the tips off her floats almost like telling her to take her bra off in public dear boy you naughty man ,and what a ruddy waste of money just to save a few minuites time doing it properly also if she tightens the line to the shot nice and steady the float should pull down to leave any amount of tip showing she wants so why on earth cut the tip off.also you failed to tell the lady that this will show lift bites too. and i forgot to say that this method only works on a still water. i say that because i know the lady fishes canals as well where she might need a proper wagler setup so if she takes in all the advice from people then she will learn all the dif setups as there are a few i,m sure you,ll agree . good method though fred apart from cutting the tips off

Fred Blake

Reaction score
You choose the amount of shot you need to cast the distance rather than to suit the float; if you have a suitably-sized float handy all well and good, but if not you'll have to make do with the next size up and you may find it pulls the shot out of position before it cocks sufficiently.

Too much float showing and you'll find the wind can be a problem, and you'll have to put up with well-intentioned passing experts who are usually very quick to tell you to dot your float right down so you end up with eye strain (aka scratchers' squint). So you have to reduce the buoyancy somehow. You can just add more shot, but that means you're using a heavier float and shot than necessary.

Eventually you'll have cut all your wagglers down to simple lengths of peacock quill of various sizes (which is what you should have started with in the first place) each taking a set amount of shot - 1 SSG, 2SSG and so on.

Don't worry, when my new book 'Float Fishing - an Alternative Approach'(working title 'Float Fishing For Nutters') is finally released (Medlar promise me it will be ready sometime after the next Ice Age) all will become abundantly clear...

B

then why not use a running arsley fred and one of these new self locking bodied waglers that lock on to tight line there a great idea .all you do is cast it out and thats as far as you want then slack off the line till the bomb hits bottom and tighten slowly till float cocks, shows lift bites and take aways i,m sure thats simpler for wendy to handle at the moment untill she gains more confidence and learns more and its quick to set up but as i say she still needs to learn the other setups too for the different styles of fishing so all coments welcome i say . and fred i will buy it when it comes out i may be old but i,m still learning

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'd like to see Fred waggler fish the far bank of the upper Thames with his rig! We're talking 'waggler' fishing not Dame Juliana's lift method...

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Oh, the far bank of the Thames - I clean forgot. Do please accept my apologies; I really must try and remember that the world of float fishing revolves around the far bank of the - oh ever mind...