Don?t be an Angling April Fool

I

Ian Cloke

The Environment Agency is reminding anglers to buy a rod licence before heading out to try their luck with fishing from April 1 as all licences expire at the end of March.

The reminder comes after more than ?600,000 was paid in fines and costs by more than 4,400 illegal anglers during 2006 for fishing without a valid rod licence. In addition 40 anglers received cautions from the courts.

For 2007/2008 a full season coarse and trout fishing licence costs just ?24.50 and a salmon and sea trout licence costs ?65.50. There is also a range of concessionary, junior, eight-day and one day licences. The almost three million people who receive Disability Living Allowance in England and Wales are eligible for a half price fishing licence from April 1, 2007.

"All previous licences expire on March 31; so it is very important all anglers ensure they have a valid licence before heading out to fish," explained Environment Agency Head of Fisheries Dafydd Evans.

"Fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish and eels in England and Wales and the Border Esk in Scotland requires a licence from the Environment Agency. Failure to have a licence is an offence. Those caught fishing illegally face tough penalties, including fines of up to ?2,500 and a ban from fishing.

"The rod licence fees are essential in improving and maintaining our rivers, which is why our enforcement officers are out there checking for those who try to cheat the system. Last year, we invested approximately ?29 million in fishing, with ?19 million of this coming from rod licence fees paid by anglers."

continues........

I

Ian Cloke

Environment Agency fisheries staff are currently working with anglers on fishery improvement projects at Reading, Reigate, Crawley, Thamesmead, Slough, Aldershot and various locations on the Thames.

Examples of projects paid for with money from rod licence sales include:

* The restoration of historic fishery Brittens Pond in Guildford, in Surrey, with Guildford Angling Society, Surrey Wildlife Trust and Guildford Borough Council. So far the lake has been enlarged with improved angling facilities, water quality and access.
* The transformation of the fishery Birchmere Lake, in Thamesmead, in Bexley, with new floating islands providing a spawning areas and shelters for fish. The vegetation on the islands attract important food for the fish and attract wildfowl to nest.
* 1,000 young brown trout introduced to the Horsenden Stream, near Chinnor, Bucks. This is an attempt to boost trout numbers in the Chalk stream. Surveys are planned to see if this is successful in coming years.
* A ?140,000 river improvement project along 1.5km of the Upper Thame, below Aylesbury, in partnership with Thames Water, Lord Rothschild Estate, the Ernest Cook Trust, and a number of landowners. The new fish bypass channel will be the first upstream fish migration for over 120 years. Work is planned to start on this and a variety of initiatives next month.
* Environment Agency fisheries staff are currently working with anglers on fishery improvement projects across London, with two fisheries action plans underway for the River Lee and the River Colne. Working with local angling groups, with input from conservation and other interest groups the Environment Agency is developing improvement projects over entire river catchments.
* In the Lee Valley the introduction of Angling Development Zones is making a huge difference to the environment. At Enfield Lock, Enfield, after consulting the local angling clubs, the Environment Agency installed floating reed beds to provide shelter and spawning areas for fish. Catches are up and anglers have a pleasant environment in which to enjoy their sport.
* Money from rod licence sales is also supporting fishing participation projects with local councils across London. These schemes are designed to encourage young people and those from minority groups to get into fishing.

Rod licences expire on March 31, 2007. Buying a new licence couldn?t be easier ? around 15,000 Post Offices and other outlets sell them; a direct debit can be set up, and they can be purchased over the phone (0870 1662662) or on-line at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/rodlicence any time, day or night.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Already got a reminder set on my phone so I don't forget to buy mine, much cheaper than a fine. Can you buy a new one in advance? It'd be much easier for me to be able to purchase mine on Friday 30th instead of Saturday 31st.

T

The Monk

All good work, b ut its a shame they don`t charge other water users as well, boats and water skis cause more damage than fishing rods

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Don't get me started on boats Monk, every time one comes along when I'm pike fishing all I catch is weed and other bits of crap that it's churned up, I can be having a good days fishing with plenty of action soon as a boats been through it kills the fishing so much so if I see one coming now I just pack up and head off home!

I

Ian Cloke

Why not set up a direct debit Macca? Then you wont forget ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

Just bought ours on-line.

Trouble with a direct debit is that you could die and they will still withdraw the funds from your bank account unless you personally inform them of your demise. Should this happen you will then have to claim a refund by send a copy of your death certificate and the licence that was issued up to Bristol. You may also have to go to a regional office in person to attest that the information you have provided is correct and that you're not just a specimen angler that happens to have dozed off.

S

Steve King

They were quick enough taking the DD from my bank - now where is my licence?!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And this year I get mine for half price!

Hee Hee Hee!!!

:eek:)

F

Fred Bonney

Got mine online by DD on the 19th march and it arrived within the week!

New Kid

Reaction score
Ron. You can't get a concessionary licence
on line. you have to go to the post office.
I think this is to ensure OAPs keep their circulation going.

S

Scott Whatmore

I pay mine via direct debit. The EA took my money on 1/3/07 and still no licence!

Not what I'd call a good service!

PAUL DOLING

Reaction score
there is a a problem with the printers so they said when i phoned up about the delay in issueing the direct debt licence but they assured me that they would start sendining them out by monday 26/3/2007

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Got my new licence today. Only paid ?12.50 for it - Hee Hee!

I wonder what MacWallet has to pay for his as his birthday is in April?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

got mine on line last night only took a week last time to come through but at least if you buy online you get proof to print out anyway so your covered

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Dont forget my licence? Its the EA thats forgotten me! They had my ?24.50 for 28 days.