Pea soup piking

C

Chris Bishop

What a wierd weekend. Fog everywhere, drove around trying to find places free of ice and eventually found a load of match anglers caning small fish around a bridge on one of the drains. Saw a what I thought was a pike swirling underneath it as I was leaning over having a natter with all these match blokes, so had the rods out of the car and baits on its nose before you could say: "There's a match on - you'll have to fish the other bank with all the other pike anglers..."

Never had a sniff and nor did any of the other guys pike and zander fishing it. It was so foggy you could only see about 20 yards by the time I got on it.

Strangely, the small fish were really going for it- maybe the fog made them feel safe from the cormorants or something. I thought the pike and zanders would be having it too, when I got home I realised I couldn't ever remember catching anything in such thick fog.

R

Rob Brownfield

I can remember catching pike on the Lea and Hooks Marsh in fog years ago. On the river, I had to cast out and then walk the bank so i could see the float as visability was about 15 yards. I think we had about 11 fish that day on the river.
On the gravel pit, early morning fog (not mist) would herald many runs...but mailnly from Jacks

P

Peter Waller

Pea Soup with ice cubes in it! Plenty of fish to a staggering, wait for it, 8 pounds!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Did the broad by you freeze Peter..? Some pretty big pits up here were still frozen Sunday, as was most of the Middle Level and some of the smaller drains.

D

David Will

Can only recall one good day in the fog on the Great Ouse near Newport Pagnel. A number of fish to trotted lives.Action lasted a couple of hours 10am to 12 noon.