Front or Rear

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What Ho chaps - which do you prefer Front or Rear...................

Drag that is before anyone gets the wrong idea

I've always used rear drag but I'm looking for a new reel for float fishing small match pools - and thinking of getting a front drag model.

What do others think is best?

Tally Ho

Reaction score
M'Lord

I believe it is a matter of breeding. Out of politeness one should always approach a quarry of class from the front at first, perhaps rearwards when one is more familiar and have exchanged cards.

For those of the "ruffe slapper" type. rearwards if you must but I would always advise upwind.

I use a little Browning Black Magic FD in the smallest size for small fish work. Resorting to my okumas or shimano rear drag for the bigger beast.

Chin Nihc

Posh

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Waht Ho PoshPaul ..yes always ask permission when attemping to play the back 9 ;)

The front drag makes the reel look smaller so would think it lighter -and more suitable to holding a rod all day.

Tally Ho

T

The Monk

rear anytime, you have more choice from behind,

besides you always risk getting caught up with the line at the front

(washing line that is)

T

Terry D

If the front will be going at a great rate of knots, depending on the prey, then better not to try and chop your digits off.

flumpy

Reaction score
i would need someone to explain about reels drag etc gear ratio etc not sure i understand them proply

T

The Monk

say you have a 5.1 gear ration basically it means that for every one turn you give the reel handle, the spool will turn 5 times. The drag is the amount of pressure you set on the reel before the quarry pulls the line from the reel, its a clutch system which prevents the line from snapping once maximum pressure is placed on it and thus creates pressure for the fish to pull against

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

well i use for light work a mitchell 330 and 300 front drag there fine also if you set the drag properly before you fish you shouldnt get cought up in the line also an abu 506 i find nice, drag is on reel handle so if you need to adjust while playing a fish you can easily. Mind you you may want a nice modern up to date reel on wich i cant advise i only have to shimano,s and there rear drag anyway. If your only doing a bit of close light stuff go for a nice centre pin and control the drag yourself nothing like playing a fish on one of those. all the best with your choice, bob

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

by the way lord if you do get rear drag ....try baby oil