Barbel to be Stocked in the Don

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It my well do!
A part of the EA's Yorkshire Regions report.

• This autumn sees a significant event in
the recovery of the River Don. Our
release of 1,000 young barbel will mark
the end of our regular stocking plan for
this river. Environment Agency fisheries
teams generally stock rivers to restore
fisheries, for example following water
quality, or habitat, improvements or
significant pollution events. As natural
populations recover and become self-
sustaining we are able to reduce the
number of fish we stock.

• This autumn we will be stocking:

o River Aire: 2,500 barbel o River Colne: 250 dace o River Derwent: 1,000 barbel o River Don: 1,000 barbel o River Rye: 1,000 chub, 1,000 barbel
o River Swale: 1,000 barbel o River Whiske: 500 dace

• Next summer we will be stocking:
o River Colne: 4,000 grayling o Costa Beck: 500 grayling o Pickering Beck: 500 grayling o Isle Beck: 500 grayling o Kilpin Beck: 500 grayling o River Skell: 1,500 grayling

I have a pdf copy if anybody wants to see it

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
17th November must be 'B' day.
The Wear in Durham will also be receiving a stocking of barbel and dace that same day.
This will be the 2nd only ever official stocking of the Wear with barbel. About 500lb of 'cormorant proof' bream have also been ordered, these fish to be introduced later this year.

I also heard from a friend who lives/fishes higher up the river that barbel will be stocked there too. I can foresee fireworks from that though; the club who's water it is refused to join NAFAC because at that particular time the NAFAC application form featured an angler holding a large barbel :rolleyes:

Which Colne Fred, Herts/Middx or Essex?
'A part of the EA's Yorkshire Regions report' ...the Yorkshire Colne? :)

Simon K

Reaction score
Topically, and just to put the EA's free stockings into context, I received a pricelist from one of my aquatic suppliers today offering barbel at a 50% discount. (Obviously no-one's interested in them? :eek:).

But at £2.50* each for 4-5" youngsters, it might give anglers a rough idea of what might happen should this go into "private" hands. I'm sure you can look at the stockings above and do your own maths.

As I say, nothing meant by this, I just thought it might be of interest. :)

Be glad of it, while we've got it.

* after discount.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Absolutely Superb, great stuff, may I just ask..... above Rotherham or below?????

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
More reading glasses? :wh

This is from the the report,which is the subject of the thread!!

Environment Agency fisheries staff will be introducing 500 barbel into the River Don at Blackburn Meadows in Sheffield and a further 500 into the river at Kilnhurst on Thursday 17 November.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Topically, and just to put the EA's free stockings into context, I received a pricelist from one of my aquatic suppliers today offering barbel at a 50% discount. (Obviously no-one's interested in them? :eek:).

But at £2.50* each for 4-5" youngsters, it might give anglers a rough idea of what might happen should this go into "private" hands. I'm sure you can look at the stockings above and do your own maths.

As I say, nothing meant by this, I just thought it might be of interest. :)

Be glad of it, while we've got it.

Could it possibly be that Calverton and such places produce all these barbel, and so they've then got to find somewhere to release them? I've got no issues with the Don being restocked. But what happens to the excess barbel stock that has been created? where does that get deposited?

These are not 'free' stockings Simon. They are paid for through rod license fees. We all pay for it. Interesting that the EA seems to be knocking the surplus out at discount prices. Not sure whether that's entirely ethical though ..

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Yes Andy, I meant "free" to the clubs, i.e. no extra cost. In the current economic climate, this could easily change.
My point was aimed at the "what has the EA ever done for us" brigade.

Although they're marked as "UK" in origin I have no information as to exactly where/who they originate from.
I could probably find out, but have no intention of starting another Civil War. ;)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
These are not 'free' stockings Simon. They are paid for through rod license fees. We all pay for it. Interesting that the EA seems to be knocking the surplus out at discount prices. Not sure whether that's entirely ethical though ..

Andy I think you'll find that calverton do not sell fish to anyone and they stock where needed, either after pollution, recovering rivers from industrial times or like down my way where stocks have dissapeared due to poor habitat and predation.

theres nothing to stop clubs buying there own fish from private suppliers if the EA are ok with it. the markets there for stillwaters maybe on rivers if the club is flush with money

Cheers
jason

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Could it possibly be that Calverton and such places produce all these barbel, and so they've then got to find somewhere to release them? I've got no issues with the Don being restocked. But what happens to the excess barbel stock that has been created? where does that get deposited?

No doubt your one (or maybe two) man campaign to cleans the country's rivers of their barbel stocks will take up any surplus created.

The Northumbrian rivers have over 40 years of catching up to do (from the anti coarse culture that exiseted for all those years, and more) so we will gladly take any surplus.

Interstingly one 'leading light' (or so he thought) in the WRT has now departed because of the anti coarse stance he took.

As for the origins of the Calverton fish, I do know that some Wear barbel were stripped some years ago after a problem Calverton suffered.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Quite right Jason. As Calverton supplies fish without charge for stocking and re-stocking, there shouldn't theoretically be an excess since I doubt they ever produce enough barbel in any one year to supply the demands of all the rivers countrywide.

There are "private" UK producers of barbel and other coarse species which are available to buy through the aquatic trade.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know the calverton fish are produced from brood stock which are removed from the Trent, stripped of eggs and milt and returned to the collection point.
I wonder where the private fish farms get their brood stock?

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quite right Jason. As Calverton supplies fish without charge for stocking and re-stocking, there shouldn't theoretically be an excess since I doubt they ever produce enough barbel in any one year to supply the demands of all the rivers countrywide.

My point is Simon that nobody really knows. We don't get a statement saying '*** number of barbel were brought on at Calverton this year, and they were released into the following rivers in the following numbers'.

Apparently, we had 1,000 or so barbel stocked in the Wensum last year, and we're supposed to be getting another 1,000 or so anytime soon, but the only reason I know about it is because I put a freedom of information request in. You'll read nothing about it in the angling press.

It's my experience that the EA will only publicise the releases that they view as 'non controversial', and which show them in a good light. But places like Calverton still need a forward strategy as to how many fish to manufacture each year.

And if I'm being honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sell any excess stock at the end of the year, rather than seeing it go as fish manure. That would certainly drive the price of fingerlings down ...

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

I could probably find out, but have no intention of starting another Civil War. ;)

Please don't start a civil war, nobody wants that. But I do think we're entitled to know where the fish came from.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
My point is Simon that nobody really knows. We don't get a statement saying '*** number of barbel were brought on at Calverton this year, and they were released into the following rivers in the following numbers'.

Apparently, we had 1,000 or so barbel stocked in the Wensum last year, and we're supposed to be getting another 1,000 or so anytime soon, but the only reason I know about it is because I put a freedom of information request in. You'll read nothing about it in the angling press.

It's my experience that the EA will only publicise the releases that they view as 'non controversial', and which show them in a good light. But places like Calverton still need a forward strategy as to how many fish to manufacture each year.

And if I'm being honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sell any excess stock at the end of the year, rather than seeing it go as fish manure. That would certainly drive the price of fingerlings down ...

Andy you attempt to subvert every thread round to what they EA are stocking on the Wensum is getting quite tedious. Clearly from all this attention seeking you're after, suggests to me that your one-man campaign to stop the stocking is failing and will remain just that, a one-man campaign.

You say you've used the FOI to get info from them, I find a phone call to ask usually does the trick without having to resort to the FOI.
So if you think this I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sell any excess stock at the end of the year, rather than seeing it go as fish manure. That would certainly drive the price of fingerlings down.
Then I suggest that you ask the dammed question of them, either by phone or an FOI request.

From my point of view and I guess most others on this site from the post made, if the EA and NE are accepting of the fact that barbel will be stocked in the Wensum then that's fine by me as someone who is paying for it.

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No doubt your one (or maybe two) man campaign to cleans the country's rivers of their barbel stocks will take up any surplus created.

That's nonesense John. I've got no wish to 'cleanse' the nation's rivers of barbel, although I do think we've gone a little over the top in recent years in the 'redistribution' policy.

The Northumbrian rivers have over 40 years of catching up to do (from the anti coarse culture that exiseted for all those years, and more) so we will gladly take any surplus.

Think it through John, specific numbers of fish need to be allocated to specific catchments. For every fish that's introduced into an unsuitable habitat, then that's a loss and a detriment to every other legitimate barbel fishery.

As for the origins of the Calverton fish, I do know that some Wear barbel were stripped some years ago after a problem Calverton suffered.

Many of the barbel introductions into western flowing rivers have been highly successful, and given a great deal of pleasure to many people. Indeed, most of the reintroductions into eastern rivers have come from brood stock from the Severn, which was in turn translocated from the Kennet. I just hope someone, somewhere is trying to keep track of the DNA history of these fish.

---------- Post added at 03:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 ----------

Andy you attempt to subvert every thread round to what they EA are stocking on the Wensum is getting quite tedious. Clearly from all this attention seeking you're after, suggests to me that your one-man campaign to stop the stocking is failing and will remain just that, a one-man campaign.

Merely observing that when fish are re-introduced in the Don then it's trumpeted from the rooftops as a wise use of rod license funds. But when they're introduced into the Wensum, then you hear nothing about it unless you ask the question.

You say you've used the FOI to get info from them, I find a phone call to ask usually does the trick without having to resort to the FOI.
So if you think this I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sell any excess stock at the end of the year, rather than seeing it go as fish manure. That would certainly drive the price of fingerlings down.
Then I suggest that you ask the dammed question of them, either by phone or an FOI request.

OK, I will. However I would only really feel comfortable that i had received a full reply if the request is made under FOI rules. The whole point of this thread was Simon's request for clarification as to why the price of barbel fingerlings has recently dropped through the floor. It's a mystery, isn't it?

From my point of view and I guess most others on this site from the post made, if the EA and NE are accepting of the fact that barbel will be stocked in the Wensum then that's fine by me as someone who is paying for it.

Yeah, but not by me, therein lies the rub. If I'm boring you, then please feel free to post somewhere else. I'm going nowhere.

Reaction score
720137a2019652ddc6247326f04909fc_620.png

View image in gallery