going to mauritius

Tony Firth

Reaction score
am off in 7 weeks.what tackle should i take.any info would be grate.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If I were going to Mauritius I would take a 4 piece saltwater fly rod, a big capacity saltwater fly reel and some Lefty's decievers.

Lots of flats for bonefish and other species there.

A light 4 piece 11 foot uptider with a 6000C Ambassadeur would also go into the suitcase for rock fishing.

If you have plenty of cash, you can go out marlin fishing.

Oh and brush up on your French.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Cost me $800 for a boat for the day, all in, thats drinks, lunch, bait and tackle.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Fly fishing is not too well developed in Mauritius at all. The skippers are not too conservation minded either and most marlin taken as trophies even if just 200lb! I have fished there over the last 20 years, mainly from San De Peche centre and a private skipper in La Morne. Now I look elsewhere where catch and release is the norm. I found it difficult to find a boat interested in anything but trolling or livebaiting.
You should not have to buy the fish to get it released but with so many tourist hotels there now the market for marlin on the dinner plate is insatiable.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

For catch and release marlin fishing the best place is Cabo San Lucas on the southernmost tip of Mexico's Baja de California. Some of the best fishing I've ever experienced.
A couple of years ago I was offered a place with a party going after marlin in Mauritius but turned it down when I was told that all the fish have to be killed.

Tony Firth

Reaction score
thanks lads.the maritim hotel on the north west of the island as a massive corel reef,i dont flyfish but i do have alot of pike lures would that be ok..i do hope to get a boat for the big boys,catch and release i hope if not i will turn them down..

W

We were in Hotel next door, Beachcombers Le Victoria Hotel, first class and great for snokerling the house reef.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Hi I was there for three weeks last year!

I loved the place and it's nice and cheap when you get there too!

I took travel spin rods (and broke one of my best falling off a rock!) I also took fly rods but never used them.

The game fishing boats can be hired for good rates but you need to haggle and walk away a good few times before they will offer you a good price. I booked a whole boat for a half day for about ?220.00 which is pretty fair compared to what I hear about other countries.

I also found a guy that took me out in a much smaller boat which was far cheaper. I wouldn't say that it's really a fishing destination yet. It looks as though it has masses of potential but I didn't really see it being used. Most of the fishing I did was with heavy rods and big lures trolled behind the boats and the skippers have all that ready for you so you don't really need to take it.

I tried fishing from the rocks around the Grand Bay area but caught nothing.

Where are you actually staying?

Tony Firth

Reaction score
staying at maritim hotel.big wedding tyeing the knot.no probs with fishing good lass..plus good ass....

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Tony i've got some really good advice, buy a huge a suitcase and stick me in it ;p

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Tony,

I checked the map and I have seen the area where your staying, it looked great (most of Mauritius does though!

You seem to be quite near Trou aux biches which has an amazing public beach, great place to water ski!

I think the nearest big game fishing centre would probably be Grand bay but I got the number of a guy with a smaller boat by asking at the reception of my hotel. His boat was kept quite near to where your staying, I'll have a look in my tackle just in case I still have his number.

Black river is also very good fishing area -
this could be useful -

http://www.blackriver-mauritius.com/

You can pick up loads of info when your there. The cab drivers seem to know everything and can be very useful!

Don't jump to take the first price for anything though, they can usually reduce it.

W

The big game lads will pick you up from your hotel, we were next door and got picked up from the Maritim jetty. Beautiful beach, the mrs is already asking of we can go back, hooked on the Maldives the last two years but i feel Mauritius could be on the cards again this year.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I think thats where were planning on going too Wol, Well it's where i want to go, he wants Gran Canaries. It's my dream to catch a big fish there!

W

You'll love it. Cant remember the name of it but there's a cracking resturant in Grand Bay, you eat great food and watch the lads coming in on the boats, Keith probably knows the one i'm on about. Sod Gran Canaries, i know where i'd be going if i had the choice.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Yeah i think Keith and his wife went one year he was telling me Wol, he said it's a dream place for fishing. He is going to Key west in Florida in 2 week and that place is awesome!

Mauritius it will be Wol if i get my way!

Colin W

Reaction score
lol you can take me with you i need a suntan[ only kidding] hope you catch the fish of a lifetime tight lines m8.

Tony Firth

Reaction score
thanks for that.the web pages you lot gave me look grate.alot better than gran canarier..am def getting a boat,the dolphin fish is one fish i would luv to catch with it greens and blues..but wot about off the rocks,spinning rod or float gear.

Peter Knight

Reaction score
Tony,

Why not take something you can use for both?

I didn't do any good with spinning from the rocks but to be honest I think I could have found a better spot.

Also watch out for the wet rocks!!!!!!! I slipped on one and still have the scars. It was just as well some locals were nearby to give me some 'Green Island Rum' to take my mind off of all that blood and my broken (?250.00) travel spin rod :(

When I went out in a smaller boat the guy tied some of his small lures onto my spinning rod and I caught a few Bonnito's (spelt?) which was great on light tackle.

I talked to some guys selling fish at a little market in Grand Bay and they said they were all caught from a boat with bait (probably handlining). I never managed to find out what the bait was though.

I recon you should take some general tackle and take a flexible approach. Talk to the locals they're really nice people and will usually help if they can.