Forgotten Angling Books

T

The Monk

I`m a great lover of books, particularly angling and natural histroy books, I`ve recently been re-reding a couple of classics whic I still have complete with original dust covers The forst one is E, Marshall Hardy`s "Angling Ways" originally published in 1934 by the former Angling Times editor, the book is complemented by a painted cover, red top spine and some excellent line drawings within, an excellent read for those who like to travel back in time to the golden years of angling.

Another excellent book for me is Bernard Venables "Freshwater Fishing, first published in 1967 complete with Bernards excellent art work both on the cover and throughout.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Any of BB's works do for me. The Bedside book was the first angling book I ever read. 'Mr Crabtree goes fishing'was just cartoons plus wonderful drawings by Bernard Venables.
HT Sheringham was also a wonderful writer. I have one called "An angler for all seasons" featuring the best of his work.
I also have a humorous book called "Rod, Pole or Perch" by Colin Willock in 1958. Great stuff with drawings by Thelwell.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways, by Trent Otter.

Drop Me a Line - by Ingham and Walker

101 Bass Fishing Tips - by Roland Martin. This is one of the great American Classics.

J

Jeff Spiller

Reading this thread with real interest as I enjoy reading but have only read one fishing book by Cris Yates, really enjoyed it.
Any recommendations for course fishing books, I mainly fish river's for Chub, Barbel and silvers.

T

The Monk

Just Strumming - by Bert Weedon

haha nice one Ed, who the F**k is Bert Weedon

M

MarkTheSpark

Bluddy ell, Ed, nothing like showing an impresario off in his best light, and that's nothing like showing Bert's skills off. How old his he in that clip?

Must be almost your age. No wonder he's not so nifty with his fingers, eh? Talk about play with yourself in a day - it would take Bert all week to whip up a frenzy

C

Cakey

KTG know the game Coarse Fishing by the NFA 1975
the Anglers Handbook by a well known angling expert for Caperns 1953
catch more Roach and Rudd byJames Randell 1974
Better Angling for All by Clive Gammon 1963
Gone Fishing by Michael Prichard for Woolies 1972

C

Cakey

Ive also got one of Grahams books Advanced Coarse Fishing complete with a Mullarkeys sticker on the inside cover.............

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Floatfishing - Ernest Phillips
Holiday Angling - W G Clifford
One for Monk - Philandering Angler - Arthur Applin
The Idle Countryman - 'BB'
'The Magic of Roach' - Anon (I've got the only copy in case you're wondering).

C

Cakey

Ron is that the same John Hillaby that done "Journey Through Britain" ??

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Carp Strikes Back

What angling (Carpin) is/was/should be all about.

Still, and read many, a book i can pick up again and again.

Carp Fever another good-un.

And i dont really Carp fish no more!

Jeff, try getting hold of the above two, you'll love em mate.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I am not sure Cakey, but I will find out.

Within The Stream tells of the days of fishing the Yorkshire rivers by a Leeds angler.

J

Jeff Spiller

Cheers Wol I'll do a search for them.
What about this Walker bloke ?