Help Needed

• Thread starter Stephen Mc Cormack
  • Start date
S

Stephen Mc Cormack

All I usually try for pike with spinners and lures but want to try for some in a local reservoir it's said that the best way is to float ledger a deadbait. So how do i set up this rig, is it as easy as using a ledger weight with the deadbait between the float and the weight, or have i got it all wrong ???

P

Peter Waller

Have a look at the Bolt Rig / Fixed leads for pike thread. Nothing is ever easy!

Anyway, in its most basic form float ledgering is simple enough. If you get hold of the PAC manual 'Pike Fishing Beyond 2000' & turn to page 15 you'll find it all in black & white. Basically your bait is set up on a couple of semi-barbless size 6 trebles, mounted on an 18" trace, which in turn is attached to a 24" up-trace. This is attached to a 15 lb reel line. 2 or 3 swan shots are used to hold bottom. A long, slim and UNLOADED pencil float is attached bottom end only. A powergum stop knot and bead is tied so that the float is set 1' to 2' feet overdepth so as to indicate lift bites and bait pick-ups. Tighten the reel line to half cock the float. Sit down and stare at the float until it lifts & settles on the surface or glides off & under. Don't hang around, wind down & STRIKE. Of course many anglers have their own variations on the theme but that is the technique in a simple & effective form. But is it any better than lure fishing? Its certainly different. If the barometer is really low then it probably is more effective. If its high then I'd stick to lures. Its more a question of temperament I reckon. Details of how to buy the book are on the PAC web-site and on the Harris Angling site.

C

Chris Bishop

There's an article on here about it somewhere if you rummage around. Do a search on pike or something.