Post 60s angling books

T

The Monk

One of my favorite books of the 90s has been Bernard Venables "The illustraited Memoirs of an Angler(1993), excellent illustraitions Crabtree style and a fasinating read into the life and times of Bernard, although I`ve never been a fan of the landscape book formatting.

Another interesting read (1994) is Geoffrey Bucknalls "To Meet The First March Brown"

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A Bright Stream of Memory by Geoff Bucknall is a nice book. It tells of the old days of the Fishing Gazette.

I have always found Venables very taxing to read. Yates is amuch better writer in my opinion. Casting At The Sun being probably his best work.

T

Terry D

A real classic: Somewhere Down The Crazy River by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade. Fascinating tales of fishing for mahseer and goliath tiger fish. Very hard to put down once started.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
John Bailey - In visible waters. An easy read and of local interest to me as a lot of it relates to Norfolk.

T

The Monk

John Harry`s Savay was another excellent book, as was Kevin Cliffords Redmire, I enjoy reading histories of the more famous waters

C

Cakey

got both of them .....superb
history of carp fishing is very good too but cant remember who it is by (I borrowed it )

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Bernard Venereals writing was always too 'flowery'

T

The Monk

I like venables writings Ed,

Yes hostry of carp Fishing is another one of Kevins which takes pride of place on my book shelf

I too like the Rob Maylin books, Tiger bay was a realy good read, so was Basils Bush and the other one which I can`t see on the bookshelf at the moment, oh here it is, Fox pool. I also enjoyed Alberts Romp with Carp and Richies book, Hutchy too has written some excellent books along with Yatesy, great Paisley fan too, old Tims written some excellent books

T

The Monk

I mentioned him on my other thread, so there!

Jim Gibbinson written the second book proper souley on Carp for the UK market and probably in the world with his The Carp Richard Walker library, Dave Stuart wrote the first one, Carp, How to catch them series 1955, Jim Followed up that book with Carp, Osprey anglers edited by Clive Gammon (1974)I have both hardbacked and soft backed versions of this

T

The Monk

That was Peter Mohans second book in Cypry the story of a carp(1985), Beekay publishers(1985), Peter also wrote Carp for Everyone of course and a number of booklets, he was also involved with the BCSG books, the first one being Carp, Carp, Carp