Best & Worst Bits

J

Jeff Spiller

My worst moment from last season, fishing the Throop ( we were down there for a week ) I lost a Really good Barbel close to the net, D.B was with me and at that point he walked away, that was the first good fish I'd lost like that.
I through my hat at the floor but kept hold of the rod, that really hurt but I learnt from it.
The best moment, night fishing with my brother-in-law on the Avon, full moon like it was a flood light on us, had to move swims at about 11.00p.m as we were flooded out, moved to a swim I new and I was lucky enough to catch a 11.8lb Barbel, it scared the life out of Sam as it came to the surface and it certainly made me twitch a bit.
What about your bits of the year ?

E

EC

Joint best was taking my little lad with me for the first time and also catching some crucians close in on the float, the first time in years I've had them in numbers.

Joint worst was night fishing on Pwllheli beach, and some bloke left his 3 young kids alone 'fishing' next to us and simply just Pi55ed off as darkness approached, and also turning up at our local beach and seeing a bloke out of his face sat on a bench at 10 am, again with a little lad in tow!

J

Jeff Spiller

There are some right ******** about.
I've not caught a Crucian yet E.C, there's something else I have to do.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Joint best:
Probably netting my first Grayling for about 20 years on the FM Fish-In on the Kennet carriers at Denford. Great day out and good fishing as well.

and

My pb Roach caught just as the season was coming to a close a few weeks back. Pure chance really but a very pleaseant suprise.

Worst:

Well, there were a few. A rainy January day on the K&A Canal....no maybe not!

Probably chasing Barbel on my local river. Found a couple and finally got them feeding on the 3rd trip. First chance I got, totally screwed up and spooked them, never to be seen again (until next season hopefully!).

N

NomadPaul

Best - An evening session in late May , catching the light conditions perfectly , enabling me to watch a shoal of tench , feeding in the classic way , nose-down tail-up about 4 feet out from the bank . So engrossed in the sight , i forget to cast !!! after approx 20 mins they were joined by a common carp that i then tempted on a freelined worm. At 15lb , not the biggest carp i've caught but the most pleasing :)

Worst - To be honest , the worst day on the bank is better than any day in the office !!!

goody

Reaction score
Nomad, your last comment is dead right. I spent a day and a cold frosty night plus early morning and failed to catch a bean. But what a pleasant experiance .... and their was a full moon.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
best bit of the season was catching a massive crucian with Mike townsend....Then catching another two even bigger!

The worst bit was seeing John ledger for the last time....He knew, and it showed in his eyes.

That was really bad

T

Terry D

Worst - paying for a season ticket at some lakes close to work then not using them because the owner started a series of junior matches nearly every weekend and I helped out at these instead of fishing for myself.
Best - seeing the smile I put on a lot of kids faces as they caught lots after showing them what to do properly.

S

Shrek

Best - Teaching my 5 year old to cast with a 7ft fly rod

Worst - Watching my wife struggle with grief following the sudden death of her mother.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Best - I moved house in October. I knew the house I was moving to was close to the thames but I don't think I realised just how close - a five minute walk! Not just that, it's free fishing to town residents! So on the 1st of Feb 2007, I caught a 6lb 4oz PB chub from a swim ten minutes walk from my house!!! On maggots and a size 18 to boot... happy days

Worst - the rivers closed on 15th march and now I've got to get in the car again if I want to go fishing.......

Reaction score
Best bits - rediscovering the River Dane and "discovering" a new French river I'll be hitting this summer.

Worst bit - In the context of my two close mates living with cancer and the sad losses referred to in FM (and a recent one in my Rugby club). I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Best bits were taking 5 people barbelling for the first time 4 sucsceded and one sadly failed must try harder that person he knows who he is.
Worst bits my muckers using my gear like their own they also know who they are ,this ain't Yorkshire you tight fisted gits.

Lark

Reaction score
Best bits: Catching a double figure barbel within 6 or 7 minutes of my first fishing outing for 5 years and then managing to land six more barbel in the session - And the total support and pleasure for me that my mate showed in the success of that morning.
Worst: The Thames looking like the Colorado rapids for most of the back-end of the season.

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Best bits-seeing me mate catch an upper Severn double figure barbel after years of trying.

Worst bit-not hitting the rivers more and still failing to net a chub!!!!!!!

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

my worst i think is when i was chub fishing in my usual spot and already cought quite a few over the weeks same tackle as always used and then laid into a barbel clutch not set you know the rest never caught a barbel in me life so my lifes ambition was in front of me and then in a split second gone as quick as it came .

P

paul williams 2

Best.....seeing the reaction of Claudia as she caught her PB pike....you cannot fake that.

Worst...not having a day's fishing with my Dad. i lost him a while back.

C

Cakey

worst..not being able to fish properly for a year

Best..fishing the Idle and Bristol fish-ins and meeting loads of you,Im back !

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Best.. learning to fish the Rivers and catching some fantastic fish.

Worst.. Losing my FM dad John, and not seeing him before he went.

C

Coops

Worst - my first barbel blank of the year after 20 sessions, in October when the first rains came. The river was high with warm rain and I shouldn't have blanked. I was very wet, muddy and I lost two good barbel.

Best - I went back the following week and had barbs of 2-04, 10-2, 5-7, 9-13 & 12-3 in about two & half hours. Spot on!