fishing for tench without a freespool

nicky

Reaction score
I'm planning on fishing for tench tomorrow with an avon rod two rod rests and bite alarm.

As i'm not using a free spool reel should i set the clutch really loose to give line, or shouldn't it matter?

Steve Holland

Reaction score
If you are day fishing then it shouldnt matter, but for piece of mind you could loosen off the clutch abit, but dont forget to tighten it up if you get as run! One way to set up is to have a long drop on your indicators, that way you'll have enough time to hit the run before the line tightens up to the spool.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Why not try float fishing for them --so much more enjoyable ....

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Even better idea Ed. A method I use more than legering etc., though in some circumstances legering/feeder fishing is the only way to fish(like when you need to get to a gravel bar/slope over 40 yds out). It seems like Nicks set his heart on feedering/legering though.

E

EC

If you use a bite alarm with a bobbin or swinger, you wont need a free spool if you sit near to your rods and strike when the bobbin moves.

S

Scott Whatmore

Try opening the bail arm and put a loose elastic band around the spool at its base, then loop a bit of line under the elastic and Bob's your uncle. Enough resistance to hook the fish but will pull free instead of pulling your rod in.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Blimey Scott. Be careful - you could put Shimano out of business!

David Craine

Reaction score
Or you could use the old and tested way, loop an elastic band around the rod butt just above the reel fitting, after you have cast in and set your rod in the rests, fit your swinger to the line, then take a loop of line off the spool, leave the bail arm open and pull the line under the elastic band, this will take the line from the spool, straight under the elastic band, and down to the swinger, when a run is registered on the alarm, the swinger rises, and the line is pulled out from the elastic band, and the run can continue until you can engage the bail arm and strike.
Easy Peasy, very similar to Scotts variation.

nicky

Reaction score
thanks for the advice i think i'll just set a long drop.

I love float fishing for tench using the lift method as thats what i normally do but i just want to try something different.

I'm taking one rod and will be sticking the marker float out.

As i dont have a spod or groundbait catty yet i've just bought a fox groundbait feeder which is pretty big (not the biggest one as my rod wouldn't cope) I'm going to use that to bait the area and then swap over to a smaller feeder once i'm ready to start fishing.