broadlands match fishing

Paul Langridge

Reaction score
Does anybody know what it is like match fishing at broadlands in Hampshire. I will be fishing there soon and would like some advice. Apart from don't bother

D

Dave George

I am afraid "don't bother" seems to be appropriate. I was talking to a chap yesterday who came third on the match lake with two sticklebacks (one foul hooked!). I think he said one carp won it and a rudd was second. I think the match lake is also known as the 'doughnut' or the 'running track' and is basically a circular canal about 13m wide arond a central island . It used to be good, I had a second there with 55lb of carp and I fished another match that was won with 60lb of bream. Recently both lakes that are match fished have suffered massive fish kills and subsequent restockings have not been successful. The other match lake is basically oblong with a long chuck to a central island and again I had a second off it with 30lb bream and it did hold some seriously large carp.
I last fished the match lake last summer when I think 40lb bream won but most had 5lb of small fish if they were lucky. Although my information suggests it is a difficult challenge at the moment others may have more optimistic news!