Angling Times 15 November

maceo

Reaction score
Like most other issues, it makes lots of use of words like 'shock', 'invasion' and 'scare'.

I wouldn't like the journalism to become text-book dry and dull, but at the moment I think it veers too much the other way and often tries to ape the basest tabloid scandal sheets.

They should choose their vocabulary more carefully.

markhib

Reaction score
He used half a tin of luncheon meat as his hookbait. I hope I'm not taking your post too literally.

Mark

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
NOTICE to All in the West London Area

In a few minutes' time I will be walking down to my local Post Office and newsagents, where I will be buying a 2-litre bottle of milk, then having my weekly free-read of the Dangling Crimes.

Passers-by should note that any resulting groans and guffaws and rolling about the floor whilst profusely foaming at the mouth are not a reason to call the Police or the Men in White Coats at the nearby Hospital, but are perfectly natural and to be expected from anyone subjecting himself to an assault on his Angling ability, intelligence and status as a fully paid up human being.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Apparently it was captured by an angler from the Isle Of Wight on half a tin of luncheon meat and weighed in at 18.8?
Jerry

maceo

Reaction score
The reel that is offered 'free' on the front page looks very flimsy.

The offer reminds me of that fonejacker fella - "no, no, is completely free.....no is free. Is only £6.95 for the first month...."

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
18lb8oz..............from memory and not far from Richmond!

Now that is believable Fred. I wish it were true, and I wish we could all regard it as the UK record. Unfortunately we can't, because some ****** stole it from us not so many years ago on a small stretch of river a few miles away from Milton Keynes.

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Now that is believable Fred. I wish it were true, and I wish we could all regard it as the UK record. Unfortunately we can't, because some ****** stole it from us not so many years ago on a small stretch of river a few miles away from Milton Keynes.

Just how could/would/should a fish of 18-08 be regarded as a UK record when there have been several fish over 19lb taken (and thats not counting the Ouse fish) plus the 20lb-12oz Wensum fish (taken by a CSG member:)) a Kennet 19lb-05oz fish (again taken by a CSG member :)) then there was a Wessex river 19lb+ fish taken last season (again taken by a CSG member :))
Perhaps we (the CSG) should be renamed the C&BSG :D

I'll go on, a Trent 19lb-04oz fish and a Thame 19lb-02oz fish, so how could a Thames 18lb-08oz fish be accepted/regarded as the UK record barbel?

Andy Youngs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just how could/would/should a fish of 18-08 be regarded as a UK record when there have been several fish over 19lb taken (and thats not counting the Ouse fish) plus the 20lb-12oz Wensum fish (taken by a CSG member:)) a Kennet 19lb-05oz fish (again taken by a CSG member :)) then there was a Wessex river 19lb+ fish taken last season (again taken by a CSG member :))

I'll go on, a Trent 19lb-04oz fish and a Thame 19lb-02oz fish, so how could a Thames 18lb-08oz fish be accepted/regarded as the UK record barbel?

Excellent post Fred. Now we're getting to the substance of it. I object to the Great Ouse fish (21lb 1oz) and the Wensum fish (21lb 2oz) holding the UK record. I think they were artificially manufactured fish, and they have no place in the record books.

All the rest of your suggestions are open for consideration, although if someone can demonstrate that tonnes of high protein pellets were tipped into the river to manufacture an artificially stocked fish, then I'm afraid we have a problem.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score

And not forgetting one of my local rivers the Loddon at 19.02
Jerry