Bit of a shock I bet.

tesco value

Reaction score
What a superb fish. I’m not sure if it’s still the same now, but when I fished there a fair bit in the late nineties/early noughties some of the swims were like aquariums!
I’ll never forget one clear, late summer morning when I peered into the run just above the railway.

I saw at least ten good bream feeding at the head of the swim. Below them were three nice barbel, moving skittishly along the run, nosing the gravel before dropping back. There was a huge common moving up and down the slacker water intermittently. Close in were a shoal of roach and sitting back from them a large, solitary perch. Sitting mid-water was a very big salmon or sea trout and finally, moving quickly through the swim were a number of mullet! I just sat there with the polarising glasses on watching them in the peace and quiet.
Of course before long they dispersed, but after introducing a little hemp and pellet, the bream and barbel returned and I had six slabs and two barbs by lunchtime. Happy days.

I never saw a bass when I fished there, but there were also plenty of little flatties in the margins during the summer.

Eddie, who landed this tremendous bass, probably doesn’t recall, but a few years ago his thoughtful advice helped me to a pb chub from the Dorset Stour.

syhaze

Reaction score
my dad caught what he swears was a weaver fish from the royalty earlier this year... in amongst a shoal of dace!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Wonderful eating....................or did he put it back?

Still, a great catch, not to mention the shock of seeing laying in the net!!

Aren't Weaver fish poisonous in some way or am I getting confused?

mol

Reaction score
Didn't someone try and claim the eel record with a small conger eel once? I'm sure they claimed it was caught from a canal lock. I'm not sure if the conger was alive or dead when it was caught, though I'd guess pretty dead if pushed.

Nice bass though, bet it'll take him a while to break that PB from a river

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Eddy's a fine local angler and can catch from a puddle. But I reckon he did not say Sea Bass!

The lower stretches of both Avon and Stour throw up plenty of surprises but this one is exceptional.

The first fish I ever caught as a kid was a flounder and that came from the top end of the tidal Stour. Mullet and small bass were fairly common (and very annoying when caught in matches as they didn't count).

The Harbour Fishery, from where the two rivers meet, is one of the best mixed fisheries in the country!

dnahacker

Reaction score
Lovely bass... Had a 6lb on a popper... Brilliant fighting fish

eddyfish

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes I was shocked. My first reaction when it hit the surface was "Duck me! It's a flipping bass!" or something along those lines.

The publicity it has received is a little embarrassing TBH. I only went to the comics as a favour to a fishery that's been so kind to me over the years.

The greatest accolade though is that the photo is now on the rod room wall. Next to pictures of Walker, Wallis and other legends. Now that, is a very strange feeling.

Hi Neil, Long time no see. Still chasing those marsh farm crucs? Can't wait for spring and another chance to go at them.

Tesco Value, well done on your PB chub, you're right though I do not remember meeting someone with your name. Were you wearing a blue and white striped jumper? :)

agamemnon

Reaction score
when i was about 10 on hiliday in devon on the first day at the beach i run down to the sea and trod on a weaver fish then spent the rest of my holiday laid in bed thanks to that nasty little blighter

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
I recall a good few years back taking a punt hired from the Quay right up to the royalty boundary and spotting two very big bass in the vicinity.With little water coming down I suspect the salt levels of the river in the lower loyalty reaches must be quite high currently on a big tide.

watatoad

Reaction score
Nice fish and a great surprise, but what next inland shark fishing?