Get Properly Knotted

J

John Pleasance

Just looked at these diagrams, and the one I use most is the Palomar knot (never ever broken a properly tied one in tests) the only problem is the diagram is incomplete: the hook has to pass through the loop at the bottom and then be tightened up. Take care that the knot doesn't tighten up with one strand of line below the eye of the hook.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John, you're right. I've just added a note to the diagram.

The Palomar is my favourite knot too.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1573>'Get Properly Knotted'</A>.

M

Malcolm Bason

I thought with the Palomar one had to pass the large loop back over the hook and then gently tighten up?

Mike Meek

Reaction score
Until fairly recently, the grinner has been my choice of knot. However since seeing the palomar, I've changed my mind. Easy to tie and extremely strong.

Ron Barnshaw

Reaction score
Has anyone any top class knots for braid
please?.This stuff is a bit slippery to me.
I've looked at the articles above but don't see any suggested for braid.
Here's hoping.

D

Dave Slater

John/Graham,
The palomar is definately my favourite knot as well. It was shown to me by a guy called Gerry Giles about 30 years ago and I have used it as my main knot since then. Such a simple knot to tie and very reliable.

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
I use either the knotless knot or the palomar knot for braid hooklinks depending on the type of hook and what it is being used for. Both have been very reliable over many years. I don't use braid mailine but I guess these knots would be equally good for this.

S

Shrek

Palomar Know - How do you get the line to pass twice through the eye of the hook?

D

Dave Slater

Just double it and push through. If it won't go through push doubled up very fine line through then put the line you want to go through into the loop and pull through.

J

john conway

There is a limit re the line diameter and the size of the hook, when tying any knot were the line has to pass through the eye twice. I whip all my hooks regardless of size whether eyed or spade.

J

John Pleasance

I normally put the line through once and then pass it back again rather than trying to get two bits through at the same time.

Always use scissors or a knife to cut it though, you won't get it through with teethmarks in it.

D

Dave Slater

John C,
I used to be able to tie spade end knots in the dark. Now with old age, failing eyesight etc. the palomar is a godsend. I can still manage to tie these in the dark. Such a simple knot.
John P,
I sometimes put the line through then pass it back as you do. I would agree that this is the best way. It isn't always possible though, depending on line thickness, hook size etc.

J

john conway

John P?s right about cutting the line to make it easier to thread, I even cut at an angle and although you can?t actually see the tapered cut it does seem to make a difference. Maybe it?s all in my head and I just persist that wee bit longer with a taper cut.
To go off the subject a wee bit, we?ve all talked about wetting our knots before pulling them tight, well there was a recent discussion on the Warrington AA site about rats and wiels disease and not biting your line. What about wetting your knots, somehow I can?t bring my self not to do it?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Use one of the proprietary knot lubes made for flyfishers. You'll be amazed at the difference and no chance of weils disease through licking your fingers! I think the cheapest one is Aerflo at ?2.95 a bottle, which will last you at least a season, probably longer.