The Alternative Angler ? April Fools

Philip Willan

Reaction score
I aint being nit picky, just thought u might like to know, im sure chub dont spawn the same time as perch or pike and spawn much later on around when barbel do, i blieve

W

Wolfman Woody

You'll have to beat me to it, Kevin.

It's a crazy anomaly for sure, but the perch and pike should have finished their fun by then anyway. The chub are less likely to be caught anyway, I've only ever had one on spinners.

More chance on jigged worms maybe, but I have no real desire to catch a chub anyway.

I asked the EA what was the maximum size of spinner that was allowed. Their reply was - there is none, but you might get some strange looks!!!

Of course, for safety sake you always use a wire trace anyway, just in case those trout have big teeth. You know, if we all went out and did some (check the local bye-laws first) we might get them to rethink this close season nonsense.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It seems this year that the EA will be forced to apply the byelaws much more rigorously by what is known as the PDA EU regulation. This enforces close seasons by closing loopholes.

In a nutshell if you can't prove that you are fishing effectively for trout i.e. catching them on a significant proportion of trips then it will be deemed that you are fishing for coarse fish out of season. As long as it is clear that there are plenty of trout being caught from that stretch then you should be OK. If, on the other hand, the last time a trout was caught on that stretch was 1898 then there might be a bit of a problem.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its an interesting one this, is the meaning of 'lure' defined in any way in the fishing/closed season regulations, does anyone know the actual wording of the rule?

According to the OED it means "to entice, a person, animal etc (fish?) usually with some form of bait".

If you take the literal meaning then any form of bait, maggot worm, pellet etc. could be termed 'a lure'. I remember years ago it was always interpreted to mean you couldn't fish with a float so people just ledgered for them with a worm supposedly for eels.

Mark. An EA bailiff would be treading on very thin ice if he tried to claim that a stretch of river didn't contain a trout, whether they had been caught or fished for matters not a hoot and there aren't many rivers that don't contain trout anyway, even our local disused canal has some.

Kevin, you do go to some extremes to practice your not catching policy, do you have "fish are banned from touching this lure" on all your out of season tackle?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Mark

You little tinker.....! But having said that, some of those loopholes are just plain crazy, but who really cares enough to do anything about it. Until, perhaps, our Eastern European cousins get wind, and the number of 'trout fishermen' on our river banks suddenly escalates during March, April and May....

Graham

So adept have I become at blanking that I can happily fish for anything in the close season without any fear of catching it!

W

Wolfman Woody

"if you can't prove that you are fishing effectively for trout i.e. catching them on a significant proportion of trips then it will be deemed that you are fishing for coarse fish out of season"

Joking you might have been Mark (or Marc if you're going continental now), but lets take that statement seriously for arguments sake.

On the Thames we'd often catch brown trout in matches, but between October and the close season they couldn't be weighed in because it was the trout's close season. This proves that until 6 years ago or so, there were a significant number of brownies in the Thames to be caught there.

During recent surveys, very few trout have turned up and it could now be said that the native trout are in decline, yet the EA are telling us that the river environment has never been in better fettle. If that is the case then surely the trouts stocks should be booming! Someone isn't telling the truth.

Perhaps only by a LOT of anglers trying to spin and fly fish for them, even if they do end up catching loads of perch, pike and chub, will we be able to say clearly <u>there are no trout in the Thames!</u>

If that turns out tobe the case then the Environement Agency have let us down - badly!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Graham - FYI, the wording is thus -

"Regional Byelaw 5
During the annual close season for coarse fish (15th March to 15th June inclusive), no person shall fish with rod and line for salmon, trout, or rainbow trout other than with an artificial fly or lure. A minnow taken from a minnow trap for use as bait in the waters from which it was taken is also permitted but requires the previous written consent of the Authority."

That was confirmed and implemented 1 October 1981.

captain carrott

Reaction score
jeff if you were contemplating a trouting trip you might find worse places than that bit of the thames / windrush that i told you about. or the section of the thames that we went on. cos there are trout in there, mr nellist even caught one a bit further up.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jason

I have my eye on the weir at Sandford, not a million miles away from your suggestion....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Pah, I put that bait out for Woody and caught Graham two days later.

Interesting re Thames trout. I suspect that the Thames is much like the Stour in that its trout don't actually breed in the main river but come from those few small pure streams that come into it - the Pang, Windrush on the Thames, the Allen, Tarrant, Crane on the Stour. Only ever had about five trout from the Stour in 30 years though I know a few likely spots.

W

Wolfman Woody

Strangley enough, Mark, that's exactly what AB of the EA tells me is his belief. It might well be so, but I'm going to see if I can dig up any info from the Compleat Angler hotel in Marlow, which was at one time a fishing lodge and popular with --- trout anglers! Yet there are no tribs near to it other than the Bisham stream, which is now more like a drainage ditch.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Woody

I have a copy of 'Angling Ways' by E Marshall Hardy that has a chapter about trout fishing on Marlow weir.

And Marlow has been re-instated on my Lock and Weir licence this year, so the Compleat Angler boys won't have it all to themselves again....!

B

Badger 184

isn't it funny this thread started last week and this week in Angling Times, Des Taylors article is all about the same thing.

W

Wolfman Woody

"so the Compleat Angler boys won't have it all to themselves again....!"

Well, unless like me, Kevin, you have bought a boat the only other way you'll get to fish the Marlow Weir is if you walk on water.

Oh dear, don't tell me that's another of your tricks. Tell us what date your birthday is and we'll declare a national holiday then everyone can go around buy each other Kevinmas presents.

And just in case anyone threatens you with a couple of planks of wood, give me a ring. I bought a fresh tube of 'No More Nails' just last week.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Badger

We always try to keep in front of the news and if Sir Des is talking about it, then it must be serious....!

Woody

If I could walk on water I'd take up spearfishing, at least I would have more chance if I could look down and see the little buggers!

And according to my Lock and Weir licence, if I have my soles cleated (sounds painful)I can walk on the spillway of Marlow weir (adjacent to the CA) and fish away to my heart's content

W

Wolfman Woody

"I can walk on the spillway of Marlow weir (adjacent to the CA) and fish away to my heart's content"

Hmmm, Marco Pierre White (the chef) used to try that one on and boy how the lock keeper was furious with him.

Cross my palm with silver though and you could join me on the bank. In comfort and no need to fix anything to our soles at all.

C

Coops

I want to see someone cast that 150cm Rapala that Kev mentions. Bet that makes a splash :)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Coops

OK, so I got my length conversion wrong, if I had said 6" Rapala I would have been dragged out of my house in the dead of night by the Millimetric Police and hauled off to face charges of non-compliance

Ooops - I've said it now....! Hides under table and waits for heavy knock on door....