How Long?

agamemnon

Reaction score
well for short rods ive always used a 9' quiver and earlier this year i tried to find a half decent 9' avon rod for my daughter to use and wow what a job that was as they all seem to be 11 or 12' nowadays and as she is only 9 i dont want her struggling with a large rod

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
My shortest is a 7ft wand - home made quivertip rod. Fibreglass, but light as a feather and very thin too. Used to use it fishing on some steps between two walls on the Thames at Kingston (Kings Passage for those that remember the spot). Ideal as there wasnt enough room for a rod much longer if you wanted to strike to the side or position the rod at an angle to the river. Kings Passage is still there but the area was redeveloped with riverside walk/buildings etc about ten years back.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I think that you can still buy 9 foot quiver Rods, you know the ones with the screw thread in the tip of the rod that you can screw a swing tip or quiver tip in to. They are usually very light and quite strong and would be ideal for a youngster to use. I had one made up at my local tackle shop some years ago now. Sadly i stepped on it and broke it.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
4 foot? Nah, try 18 inches. Designed for ice fishing. They have loads of them here in Poland, only 3 quid, im going to invest in one.

terry m

Reaction score
Yes the canadians use seriously short rods for ice fishing also. It enables playing the fish directly over the ice hole, however trying to control a fish on a 40 acre open water with a four foot rod would be interesting!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Concur with Corkers - the Grandeslam Academy 10' float rod is a tasty bit of kit; a bit beefier than they intended, therefore useful as a short all-rounder which will spin, leger or float-fish in tight swims - or in small hands.
Brilliant for slider or waggler in "parrot-cage" swims.
About £30, and only the most snobbish of tackle-tarts could fail to find a use (or several) for one. Copes with 8lb line, more with care; handles carp to mid doubles, but it's also ok for whipping out bait-sized roach and gudgeon, as long as you don't mind bumping the odd bit.