Maxima Chameleon

S

Stewart Bloor

Hello everyone.

Has anyone any experience of using the above mentioned line as a main line? (I'm thinking of low b.s's)

B

Birds Nest

Stewart,

do you mean the standard Brown Maxima ? If so yeah, used it from 2lb for canal stuff right up to about 15lb... Never had a real problem with it, you can usually pick up a 600m spool for about 7 quid.... Only things I have found is that its a bit streachy, and the brown colour has niggled me recently in clear water... Just a silly thing though...

Dunno if that helps, how "low" were you talking ?

S

S

Stewart Bloor

Yes, that's the stuff. I'm looking at 3 - 4 lb bracket.

The reason I ask is that a local tackle shop is doing a 'buy one, get one free' offer (it had to happen !!) so depending on comments I thought I'd get me a spool (it's the bulk spool) and another one free.

D

David Will

Used to , no problems , it is stretchy but this I used as an advantage with Roach but switched to Daiwa Sensor as it is cheaper and very similar.

J

John McLaren

I've used it for a few seasons and i am very happy with it.

S

Stewart Bloor

Thanks for the replies, that signs,seals and delivers it for me.

B

Birds Nest

I've seen it on offer at various tackle shops either half price or buy one get one free... Give it a go, it shouldn't give you any grief... Well no more than the double strength...

S

Steve Burke

I used Maxima for about 30 years until I switched to Pro Gold from Gold Label last year. It's a good sinking line, but bear in mind that both the breaking strain and diameter is under rated compared to many others. For instance 4lb Maxima seems to me to be the identical line to 5lb Drennan Specimen Plus.

C

Carp Angler

Maxima always used to be the central part of the production run, with the beginning and end parts going to Drennan for Floatfish and Specimen+, this means it is identical except that the Maxima will be more consistent.

B

Birds Nest

Well you learn something new every day Rik !!! From your comment I assume there arn't too many companies actually making the line...

C

Carp Angler

At the last count I believe there were only 3 or 4 factories in the world that produce mono.
Japan, America, Germany and either italy or France (I'm not sure which one closed down).

I can only assume that this is still the case.

S

Steve Burke

Rik, interesting point about Maxima and Drennan.

I think you'll find that mono is also made in the States, and possibly now Brazil as well.

M

Martin Wright

Been using maxima for at least 13 years and it's never let me down. Started using Big Game for barbel around 3 years ago tho again it's never let me down.

As far as visibility is concerned maxima is very difficult to see above water when you're fishing and the clear lines are much easier to see particularly against bankside vegetation.

Food for thought.

J

Jon Moores

I've not used Maxima for ages (use Sensor now mostly), but I remember it having very underrated breaking strains. I think Drennan package the same stuff with different breaking strains on the same diameters! BTW never use Maxima Chameleon for fishing off the bottom - it stands out like a sore thumb in the water, hence they brought out the clear stuff aimed at fly fishers.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've used Maxima for about 20 years, mainly for Waggler Fishing. It's pretty tough, cheap and sinks very quickly. It lasts ages too.

C

Carp Angler

I think you'll find that mono is also made in the States, and possibly now Brazil as well.

I did mention America in my previous post, but I was unaware that Brazil had entered the affray, cheap 3rd world country and low wages I assume.

B

Birds Nest

One thing that always amazes me is the price difference with lines... I'm wondering if this is just marketing..

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Maxima and Drennan Specimen ARE the exact same line.

Source of information: Peter Drennan.

Most lines are sourced from Japan, Germany or the States.

The biggest difference in most lines is the colour it's been dyed, it's manufacturer rating for a given diameter, the label, and the price.

Many times when you see a line advertised as 'incredibly low diameter for its breaking strain' it usually means that it has been rated closer to its true strength than exactly the same line from another manufacturer who has under-rated the same line (and which he may have bought in a different colour, or with no colour, ie, clear).

I have many a chuckle to myself when I see postings on this forum and elsewhere saying that 'X' line is much better than 'Y' line, when the truth is that they are one and the same line.

B

Birds Nest

It would certainly be interesting to see the which lines are acyually the same, and the difference in cost.....