Camera advice needed...

E

EC

I am a total layman in photography.

I would like something with a decent enough lens that will do pics to a decent(magazine?) standard.

Must be easy to use and take the knocks, damp and muck that all come with going fishing with minimal maintenance.

Self timer and/or remote, good battery life and/or ability to take rechargeables.

As small and compact as possible.

Does such a beast exist and how much will I pay?

Go!

captain carrott

Reaction score
have a look at the fuji finepix S ones about the size of a normal SLR and good quality pics.
plus you can get add on lenses and fit filters to em. unlike the normal point and click cannon jobbies that ron likes.

They basically lie between the DSLR and the compact. in both price and functionality.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The best compact camera I have ever used is the Canon G6. They have replaced this with the Canon G7 which although it has 10 mp, does not have the features of the G6.

These days I own a Nikon D80 DSLR.

captain carrott

Reaction score
about 700 quid less and those you add the lense onto the front of the existing lense rather than changing it completely so theres less chance of getting your camera full of bank.

they also weigh about a stone and a half less than a DSLR

C

Cakey

you need to look again CC my 400D was ?450 and is very very light !

E

EC

I dont want to use the word but they seem cheap, financially speaking!

So those 2 fuji's you mention Jase have a fixed lens, one that can also be added to but not removed, and yet still give the same quality as a dslr?

Why do people bother with a more expensive dslr then? (Not trying to be pedantic or a smart arse).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The DSLR (digital single lens reflex) has a number of major advantages over the compact camera. First of all you can put on a whole variey of lenses on it. The DSLR is fat better for creative photography.

Secondly the shutter is instantaneous, unlike the compacts where you have to wait a short period of time for it to operate.

In short, if you want to become a really creative photographer, buy a DSLR. If all you want to do is take pictures of either yourself or someone else grinning behind a trophy fish, get a compact.

captain carrott

Reaction score
they ain't the same quality as a DSLR but you wouldn't notice the difference matey.

unless you were a professional photographer you wouldn't have a clue what the differences in quality are.

i certainly don't.

in functionality the burst shots only do 5 and they're not the highest resolution.
same with bracketed shots.
you can get full 12MP burst with 3 i think and +/- 1/2EV on the bracketing at full res
the S7000 was 600 quid when it was released. it's a few years old now i've had one for nigh on 3 years. i think the current one is the s9600.

but for a good quality prosumer standard camera you won't go far wrong, the only problem you might have is with low light focussing , which can be a bit of a bugger but you have full focus control, full exposre control even to an emulation of the normal SLR bulb facility or you can just use it as a point and click.

it gives you the ability to do some creative photography just not to the levels of the DSLR

E

EC

in functionality the burst shots only do 5 and they're not the highest resolution.
same with bracketed shots.
you can get full 12MP burst with 3 i think and +/- 1/2EV on the bracketing at full res

What does this bit mean?

captain carrott

Reaction score
wen you point the lense bit at some thing you can burst shoot. hold down the take piccy button it takes lots. but it won't do it at full camera resolution for more than about 5 frames to take more frames you have to drop the number of pixcells.

the same with bracketing.

to bracket means to take one pic at a set exposure and then take other shots with the exposure varied either side of that value so you get it right helps you work out what the correct settings are so your pics don't come out under exposed or over exposed.

another advantage is they run off AA batteries.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And if you have Photoshop on your computer you can adjust that anyway.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Oh and you can also shoot in RAW. if you want to faff about with photoshop.

captain carrott

Reaction score
in stead of converting it into a picture and compressing it then storing it the camera just writes exactly what's on the CCD of the camera to memory. so photoshop then does the playing about instead.

E

EC

Ok with the raw bit, but when you say "so photoshop then does the playing about instead."

What do you mean, what does photoshop do?

captain carrott

Reaction score
converts it from the raw data into some thing you can play with, then whatever you want it to