AFTER SALES SERVICE

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
Having made a purchase of an Umbrella using Mail Order just before Xmas 2006 I finally used the brolly in early March.

Within an hour it came apart from the "collar" where the ribs join the main stem, which I considered be faulty and not fit for purpose, to use the modern phrase.

However when I reported this to the supplier (Mail Order) I was told that the manufacturer/distributor would not entertain a complaint, even though the item was being used for the first time.

They advised that there was no point in returning said item, and although they did give me the contact number for the LEEDA TACKLE, the distributor, when I made it clear that I was not satisfied.

However when I contacted LEEDA they dealt with the complaint professionally and courteously and then arranged to deliver a replacement to a local tackle dealer, WILLARDS in Milton Keynes, within two working days. I would like to acknowledge this publicly and congratulate both the distributor and the local shop for agreeing to facilitate the re-supply to me.

Any other experiences which demonstrate service that is good, bad or just plain indifferent to the needs of anglers? The Internet / Mail Order business grows each year but I wonder if we will be expected to accept a lower standard of care and quality as a result. I have to admit to reconsidering how best to make purchases in the future.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I ordered some stuff from fishtec website on next day delivery, only for it to take 3 days to be delivered, when I rand up I think I got their equivalent of Mrs no stars at Mcdonalds, she seemed to have difficulty understanding what I was chasing up then claimed it was en route that day. Next day I rang them, they say they were very sorry but due to the adverse weather (it was around the time of the strong winds) deliveries had been affected. They did apologise and next day before 12 my order arrived. They would have re-imbursed my delivery but I just couldn't be arsed for the sake of a few quid. My advice is for anything you want quickly go to a shop, otherwise take the chance on the web, make sure you can speak to someone if you need to. But anything such as a rod/reel best if you can get that hands on look in a shop, and if you see it online cheaper the shop may price match or you could just get it offline if they won't.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Come on Fred, name and shame - we need to know!

Personally, I've had some good and bad experiences from tackles shops with mail order - I now make a point of ringing the company I'm going to buy the stuff from to ask if its in stock and when can I expect to get it. I then make a decision based on two things - the first being the answers I received to those two questions, and the second being the person I've spoken to. If they sound well informed and like they know what's what, they get the order. However, if i get someone on the phone who does nothing to fill me with confidance, I won't bother - no matter how good the quoted availability or price is.

C

Cakey

just had an order from Bass Pro Shops in the States ..................Superb

W

Wolfman Woody

Irrespective of what Leeda have done for you I would take your complaint up with the credit card company, if that's what you paid with. You might end up getting your money back as well. Needn't mention Leeda at all.

Your beef was with the mail order company, albeit you pay the credit card company so ultimately and legally they are responsible.

G

Gary Knowles

I sent a shimano reel direct the the service centre with an accompanying letter stating that although the reel was 3 years old it had hardly been used and the problem (central spindle not moving up and down) should not have occured. Despite this i left my phone number and asked them to give me a quote for the repair.
I sent the parcel on Monday morning. On Wednesday the packet was returned, at first I thought they had just sent them back with a quote and was aa bit pi55ed off but when I checked the reel had been repaired, no cost and returned same day.

Pretty good i thought !

goody

Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who is still using the same umbrella he had some 35 years ago.

The fabric I believe, is of a cotton material it's still in good working order. That's what i call built to last.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

i bought a new wilson avon from ebay when the second joint broke after 2 weeks i emailed the guy and said can you supply me with another joint he emailed me back and just said no stock get on to the makers mate.Well i phoned masterline and explained that i had broken the middle section the service guy said just smash it in bits send it to me first class in a jiffy bag and i,ll send one by return and as promissed i got the new one 2 days later masterline get 5 stars from me and seems all the people selling this gear dont give a toss after they take your money.by the way getting on to umbrella,s i got caught snogging me best mates bird under his when fishing once god e went mad but i,m glad that he was the one that ended up in the river lol

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
I bought the brolly from a firm who I have bought other stuff from and they are very competitive on price and delivery. I do not know if it is fair to "name and shame"?

<u>BUT</u> maybe their lack of knowledge of what might or might not be acceptable could be the problem. As they shift a lot of gear to make their profit perhaps they do not feel they have the time or expertise to give to customer service.

Partly my problem for wanting a bargain but the divide between the supplier and the distributor, in this case, Leeda might be an increasing problem ?

T

The Monk

However when I reported this to the supplier (Mail Order) I was told that the manufacturer/distributor would not entertain a complaint,

I bought the brolly from a firm who I have bought other stuff from and they are very competitive on price and delivery. I do not know if it is fair to "name and shame"?

I think you should name these people, what they appear to be doing is undercutting other businesses who are providing good customer care and service, they are obviously making a profit and a living from the business and with it comes responsibility to its customers, you can not be in a legitamate business and not entertain complains from genuine customers, the seller is responsible to sell goods which are fit for the purpose they are being sold, be it mail order or direct from the shop. I would also be concerned about fellow anglers also having similar problems to yourself, I think Fred you have a duty to let us know the details of this company The company will then have the option to respond publically if they wish?

P

paul williams 2

Companys seem to be getting away with passing the act of dealing with the manufacturer on to the buyer.

The buyers contract is with the seller, NOT the manufacturer!

Demand your money back for items that are not fit for the purpose!

J

Jeff Spiller

I give Leeda 10/10 for their customer care, after they replaced a broken rod.
I did have a bad time of getting a umbrella changed, it was a Preston-flat-back and after weeks and weeks of going in to see if they had got a new one I finally said O.K when you see the rep tell him to look on F.M, cos on going to be slagging them off. He finally changed the brolly.
I think it had nothing to do with Preston and more to do with the local tackle shop.
It's good what F.M can do.

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
In reply to my near namesake Fred Bonney - Willards is a good little shop where the guys seem to care. The proximity to the upper Ouse and local pits, coupled with their flexibility in accepting the replacement brolly, means I will definitely be using them again.

To Paul Williams - how can you get your money back without incurring serious costs ? I appreciate my contract is with the shop but if they will not accept the goods back as faulty then you are always going to struggle.

From some of the above replies it is clearr that many tackle firms are offering a "direct warranty" service to protect customers faced with poor after sales from original supplier.

OK - original supplier was Cheshire Fishing.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
trading standards Fred the shop sold you a product that was not upto the job your contract is with them.

W

Wolfman Woody

"To Paul Williams - how can you get your money back without incurring serious costs ?"

Like I said Fred (sounds a bit like a boy band), You just complain to the credit card company and let them deal with it. Costs you nowt!

Saying that I had a purchase from Cheshire Fishing and everything went smoothly. Couldn't have been more helpful, but then nothing was wrong with the goods of course.