My First Lesson in Fly Fishing

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Janet an excellent read babe, well done, and just keep practising and you'll get there.

I was dissapointed i couldn't make it, but i'm sure i'll have a session with you both very soon.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Janet! Keep at it because fly fishing adds another dimension to your fishing.

T

The Monk

excellent Janet, fly fishing is a lovely natural way to pursue our quarry, many years ago I particulary used to fish the river for chub and dace, that was in the days before barbel were introduced, lovely on a quiet summer evening just strolling up,and down the river looking for likely palces to cast a fly, you can travel very light and just sit by the bank and take the sites in when you want to relax. One of the best fly casters I`ve known is actually Ron Clay. It certainly can be an art, especially when you get involved with steeple casting and roll casting.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'm hoping to do some fly fishing on a River somewhere this weekend Nick, you know of anywhere near me?

Janet the first time you catch on the Fly is a feeliong you will never forget, you'll love it hun!

S

Sean Meeghan

River Calder at Elland Wendy. Bradford No 1 book. Don't think they do day tickets though :?(

T

The Monk

The River Tame is quite good around Saddleworth Wendy, its a small river at this point, Delph/Dobs Cross to Uppermill, not sure who owns these stretches, maybe Saddleworth anglers? the Tame is quite good at the moment right down the valley, lots of small trout and chub, even in the middle of Stalybridge town centre where it gets a bit wider. I like these small rivers, easy casting with wet fly, a cast with 3 flies on Wendy, try patterns like zulu or heavily hackled flies for chub, maybe an old Greenwells Glory will take a few small trout or dace if they are present. I guested it a few years ago. I use a small river rod, ATFM 5, you can practically jump the river in places and it always gives me a sense of achievement catching fisdh from these rivers. The River Irk just past the bottom of my garden and now contains Brownies and rainbows, this used to be one of the most polluted rivers in Northern Europe and the Irk is free fishing but the fish are in isolated areas still.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nick i don't wanna hi-jack Janets thread will you pm me details of how to get there? cheers matey.

T

The Monk

If you fancy a bit of dry fly reserviour fishing John winterbottoms lake above Stalybridge is a good bet, mention me and Ron to him, a lovely lad John, he was once a memeber of the Manchester Specimen group from the 60s with Chris Tabbron. The last time I fished Johns lake I had a girl with me and he didnt charge her, even though she was reasonable with a fly

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent write up again Janet. Fly fishing, not just for trout, is a really enjoyable way of fishing. I was lucky enough to be introduced to the "art" at an early age and over the years it widened my fishing experiences tremendously.

Unfortunately I've not done it for quite a while but your well written experiences might just have pointed me in the direction of the local tackle shop.

Artificials, matching the hatch and entymology will now fill your angling life!

Keep practicing, presentation is the key, distance will follow!

T

The Monk

Artificials, matching the hatch and entymology will now fill your angling life!

and if that doesnt work just tip you fly with a maggot

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Half a red worm goes well too!

Many years ago I recall "tying" a "pellet fly", a "floating crust fly" and an absolute dead ringer for a small roach - the good old "baby doll", which worked particularly well at Chew Valley in the 80's!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And there was **** Walker's "Hedgehog", which he also called Pelletus vulgaris.