Don't knock those little kids rods

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you listen to the commentary you can hear them referring to the rod as an "Ugly Stik". It may be small, and certainly not its intended use, but it's not a kids rod.

little oik

Reaction score
I would have said it was a six foot rod though. Ugly sticks are certainly not kiddies rods ,they reckon they are unbreakable .However the ring spacing do look a bit suspect though for this class of rod .In my opinion could have done with another ring as well .

paul80

Reaction score
Its also refered to as a Shimano (Just like dads) 3 foot kids rod. on the original page. who makes the ugly stick range of rods, I dindn't think it was shimano.

The little pink reel also did quite well.

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
The original ones were shakies but that was going back to the eighties ,probably the the same still

paul80

Reaction score
So is it a 3 foot ugly stick in the Video or a Shimano, didn.t know Shimano did a 3 footer, but then again they might have done for the Oz market, just for rex hunt as that would be the longest rod he used to use.

Paul

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't believe that it's really a 3ft rod. Looks longer to me. If it really is an Ugly Stik then it'll be a Shakespeare, it's one of their registered trademarks.

paul80

Reaction score
Sorry I can only go by what the poster of the video said it is.

It doesn’t look much longer than 3 foot to me, when you compare it to the woman using it.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If you're thinking of buying a Shakespeare Ugly Stick, my advice is not to. I made the mistake of buying the 4 piece spinning rod, 5 to 15g, 6 foot long. Perfect for light spinning, to take with me to Poland, I thought. It was a pile of junk. It was heavier than a 10-30g 7 foot 4 section rod I already had. The balance point was a good 6 inches beyond the handle. The action was floppy but you'd need at least 20g to work it. If you did that it would be no pleasure holding it all day.

A pile of rubbish, worse than a telescopic glass rod you can buy for a fiver. Shakespeare usually supply decent tackle for a fair price but they should do themselves a favour, and ditch this rod, it does their name no favours at all.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shakespeare must be really embarrassed with the amount of stick (sorry, pun intended!) that they get over these rods, they are really the worst range of rods that have ever been produced by a well known manufacturer!!

mark